PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Chammois for drying?!

Pages : [1] 2

Matt94GT
06-08-2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.sn95forums.com/misc/products2.jpg

Well I have 2 waffel weave drying towels one is the meguires one and one is a no-name brand microfibre? one. Anyways I also have a "super chammois" as it is called. Nice and big. I like to use it the most out of all of them since I can toss it over the car and it suctions to it so I can pull it towards me with all the water. It is also SUPER absorbant and can ring out super easy I usually do a super quick run over the car with it to get the main water. Afterwards I do a final drying with the meguires WW towel.

My question is are these generally not too good? I dont hear many people using them, they all seem to like the WW towels. Do these snytheic chammois scratch or somthing?

Thanks!!! :righton:

abrcrombe
06-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think they scratch and the reason why they aren't widely used anymore is because WW absorb way more water, you don't have to wring them out, and are generally cheaper.

Larry A
06-08-2006, 09:21 PM
The only synthetic chammois I like is the Water Sprite.

MikeyC
06-08-2006, 09:33 PM
The reason why detailing nuts don't use a chamois is because they have no knap. So, if by chance there is a piece of dirt on the surface of the paint (maybe you missed a spot washing or maybe it's a windy day) it will be held in between the paint and the chamois. The dirt is what causes the scratching not the chamois itself. Real chamois do dry out sometimes and become rough, but not artificial ones.

Waffle weaves on the other hand have knap. If there is any dirt on the surface it is held in the knap away from the paint. So, no scratching occurs. Plus WW's are much more absorbent than a chamois.

I can see why you're not sold on WW's though. I had the Megs Water Magnet and it's not very good. Get yourself a Cobra Guzzler and you'll never want to use a chamois again.

Also, before you start drying take the nozzle off your hose and run a stream of water over your entire car. Start from the top and work to the bottom. This will cause most of the water to sheet off the car and the remainder is easily picked up with a WW.

abrcrombe
06-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Will one 20x40 guzzler dry the WHOLE car??

Matt94GT
06-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Good tip about running the water over the car! Ill do that next time. Well I dunno this chammois is pretty f'n awesome, it soaks up soooo much water its crazy. Honestly I havent really used the megs' WW many times I tried it a few and I found the chammois to be better ill try the WW again next time. Also next time I place a order I might have to get one of those Guzzlers...you got a link?

abrcrombe
06-08-2006, 11:36 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html
I just bought that one. They also have a bigger one... ON SALE.

http://www.autogeek.net/waffle-weave-drying-towel.html
Looks huge!

Haven't used mine yet, so I can't comment on how good it really is.

http://www.autogeek.net/guzzler-triple-kit.html
That is a really good deal if you need it. Might not need it on a Mustang, but if you ever wash SUV's or anything, it might be worth considering.

MikeyC
06-09-2006, 07:58 AM
I have the biggest Guzzler and when combined with the "sheeting" method I mentioned I've never had a problem drying a car. It seems the one I have is so big that I could probably dry the car twice over before the towel would start to feel wet.

Meghan
06-09-2006, 08:13 AM
The reason why detailing nuts don't use a chamois is because they have no knap. So, if by chance there is a piece of dirt on the surface of the paint (maybe you missed a spot washing or maybe it's a windy day) it will be held in between the paint and the chamois. The dirt is what causes the scratching not the chamois itself. Real chamois do dry out sometimes and become rough, but not artificial ones.

Waffle weaves on the other hand have knap. If there is any dirt on the surface it is held in the knap away from the paint. So, no scratching occurs. Plus WW's are much more absorbent than a chamois.

I can see why you're not sold on WW's though. I had the Megs Water Magnet and it's not very good. Get yourself a Cobra Guzzler and you'll never want to use a chamois again.

Also, before you start drying take the nozzle off your hose and run a stream of water over your entire car. Start from the top and work to the bottom. This will cause most of the water to sheet off the car and the remainder is easily picked up with a WW.

Mike has it right, nothing better than allowing the water to sheet off using free-flowing water (no nozzle) then drying with the Guzzler!:righton:

Matt94GT
06-09-2006, 08:43 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html
I just bought that one. They also have a bigger one... ON SALE.

Let me know how you like that one, the largest looks retarded wayyy to big for a car like a mustang imo. prob would drag on the ground and stuff I think the medium size is plenty?

keep me posted.

ScottB
06-09-2006, 08:46 PM
try to sheet water with a low stream. Then consider a leaf blower to blow water off and out of crevices. Finally spritz each panel with the QD'er of your choice (still damp) and then wipe with the Guzzler. Limits swirls, and cuts down on time needed to dry, while saving a step later.

belcherm58
06-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I have to agree with Killrwheels. That is my drying regimen now. The Guzzler
and the Qd make the paint look great and reduces micro marring to nothing
as it can get. The paint looks great and no spots. It's like drying and QD'ing
in the same step.

Surfer
06-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I get funny looks when I blow off what water is left with my electric blower, especially from landscapers lol:D . But it really does help get water out of the nooks/crannies on suvs along with the water that stays attached to the edges of window trim that loves to drip down right after detailing.

Matt94GT
06-10-2006, 02:51 AM
I get funny looks when I blow off what water is left with my electric blower, especially from landscapers lol:D . But it really does help get water out of the nooks/crannies on suvs along with the water that stays attached to the edges of window trim that loves to drip down right after detailing.

i do that on my wheels and around creveses in the bumper...with a gas one haha :righton:

BlackCoupe
06-10-2006, 07:43 AM
How about the wet-dry vac on Reverse? You've probably got it out to vac the inside anyway. Or does this create too much dust since it is flowing through the nasty stuff in the canister?

How about a hairdryer--not on the panels but around the mirrors, door edges trunk lid edges where the water hangs up? Smaller, easier to manage. Just a thought.