PDA

View Full Version : Spilled raw eggs (not rotten eggs)

sawyer1370
03-24-2014, 08:22 PM
I have heard this is the place where the best detailers around are, and I think I might have an issue that will give you the chance to prove it to me. Over the weekend, I had a quart of scrambled raw eggs in the back of my SUV in a sealed container. Somehow the container opened, and the liquid got all over the rear carpet of my SUV. I bought the best automotive carpet cleaner:Blue Coral (http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Coral-DC22-Upholstery-Cleaner/dp/B0009IR0PQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395710312&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+coral+upholstery+cleaner)I could find at the local parts store. Living in Phoenix with raw eggs in your car isn't a good thing. After spending 3 hours cleaning the carpet as every video tutorial I could find instructed, the smell is now getting pretty bad, and will only get worse with the warmer days and the hot sun here in Phoenix coming soon!

Please help with a recommendation on what product(s) are out there that can help clean the carpet and deodorize the area so there is no smell of now rotten eggs? My wife is talking about having all the carpet replaced, which I don't think is necessary.

Help a guy prove his wife wrong :xyxthumbs:

Thanks in advance for the help!

Quiksilver5882
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
I would try some Folex (can be purchased at Home Depot) with the Bissell little green machine. If that doesn't work, meguiars has a new product out called Protein Stain Remover. I think you should be set with the Folex. Keep us updated and good luck!

sawyer1370
03-24-2014, 08:34 PM
I just looked at the Folex, and it says that is a spot remover. I don't think I am looking for a spot remover, but something to get rid of the smell. Is there a different Folex that does the odor elimination?

Quiksilver5882
03-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Nope, only one kind of folex. By thoroughly cleaning the carpet you will remove the odor. Do you have access to a carpet extractor or bissell little green machine?

If the eggs were just spilled on the removable floor mats, you could remove them and power wash them after cleaning them with some Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner.

Quiksilver5882
03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Odoban is a good odor remover that you can spray after and only after you clean the carpets. You don't want to just mask the odor. Baking soda would work too, a tad messier though.

sawyer1370
03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
yea, but the eggs went through the floor mats and into the interior carpet. Is there anything strong enough and effective enough to get rid of the smell? Please tell me there is!

crober53
03-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Sawyer, what they are saying is what you need to do. Clean the effected area. Soak it down with a heavy duty carpet cleaner, and preferably a protein killer, if the temperature is warm enough. Then find some sort of extractor (bissell). Use hot water. Then find a hydroxyl (or ozone but I'm against ozone) generator or get an odor bomb. Or two. This should work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

jamesboyy
03-24-2014, 09:22 PM
I think your concern is that you are worried that it still will be eggs in or underneath the interior carpet after cleaning but if you extract the carpets this method will pull almost all if not all the contamination out of the carpets

sawyer1370
03-25-2014, 06:59 AM
I did a little more research, and I bought a can of OZIUM AIR SANITIZER. I sprayed that on the carpet. If that doesn't work, I will see if I can find someone with a Bissell or something with a protein killer in the carpet cleaner and go from there.

Thanks for the help!

GenesisCoupe
03-25-2014, 08:00 AM
You can try Chemical Guys Offensive odor eliminator spray, i've had good luck with that.

Cleanign the carpet using folex, and other carpet cleaners will work as well.

master detailer
03-25-2014, 08:59 AM
You need to lift the carpet up and get to the pad.Lift up the pad and wipe it dry.Knowput a towel down with pad on top of it get some bleach and water 50/50 put this on the pad .
now take a 2nd towel and put it on top of the pad.Push down on the towel and let the towels suck up the 50/50 mix.Now put 2 small 2x4s under the pad a small 2x4 on top of the pad to hold up the capet.
Then put a fan on this area to dry it out.When its dry time to work the carpet.Put and trash bag over the pad and then a towel ontop of the bag and carpet down on the towel wet the capet with soap and water .Now put towel on top of carpet push down to get the water and soap up.
Then dry as before with wood and fan.This will take a day or to.Has worked on milk for me.good luck.

JSou
03-25-2014, 08:59 AM
I could send you a sample of the Meguiar's protein stain remover or the tannin fiber rinse. Shoot me a PM.

Dogfather
03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Carpet cleaners made for pet stains have enzymes to work on proteins.

Joz132
03-25-2014, 10:03 AM
You need to lift the carpet up and get to the pad.

:iagree:

More than likely, the spilled egg liquid had gotten under the carpet and into the pad and beyond.

If you don't pull up everything and thoroughly clean everywhere - the smell will never go away.

I had an issue with a spilled gallon of milk in the back of a Ford Escape - You would not believe how far liquids can travel once they get under the carpet.

Good luck!