PDA

View Full Version : In need of Metal/Chrome polish advice

Pages : [1] 2

buddee
03-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Hey folks,

For a good while i used a product called 'white diamond' metal polish, but it is becoming harder for me to find. They used to carry it at a local auto parts store here (advance auto) for around $14~$15 dollars but they are out of it and when i asked the guys at the counter if/when are they going to order some more they of course didn't know. So this leaves me in search of a new metal polish and i was wondering what some of you folks around here are using to polish like chrome rims and chrome trim and grills.

Also, i am somewhat curious as to what the difference is in 'chrome polish' and 'metal polish' as the white diamond i used covered both, i could only guess that some of it is just for chrome style finish (chrome finish trim with plastic beneath) and some of it is for actual metal with chrome finish.

I am leaning more towards Mothers California Gold Metal polish because they carry it on autogeek's site, so i know its probably great stuff, and was wondering if any of you have any advice on this matter. Thanks!

Feed back please

GenesisCoupe
03-24-2014, 07:23 PM
I use Chemical Guys Metal Polish (polish+protect). They also have a Metal Wax, but i prefer the Metal Polish. You can use it on chrome, aluminum, copper, brass, etc. It works really well!

MNDSMtuner96
03-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Im definitely following this thread. I'm pretty new to metal/chrome/etc polishing and have a motorcycle to do in the near future so have been looking into metal polishes lately.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

The Guz
03-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I like mothers chrome polish. It's readily available over the counter.

Andy B. Cool
03-24-2014, 08:19 PM
zephyr pro 40

57BORNTORUN
03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Forrest from Mothers and I were talking at detail fest on this subject.For over the counter you cant beat Mothers for the price.I also use Pinnacle wet diamond sealant from AG.I have several cars with lots of chrome and stainless unlike modern cars.

forrest@mothers
03-24-2014, 10:54 PM
My thought is they are dissimilar surfaces. Chrome is a hard, thin plating. Aluminum is a soft alloy.

The polish that works on soft (aluminum) is too soft for a hard plating, and the polish that's appropriate for hard (chrome) is too aggressive for soft (alloy).

You don't put power steering fluid in a transmission - use the proper product type for the finish you have.

KillaCam
03-24-2014, 11:28 PM
zephyr pro 40

I've heard of it before. Is it a good final polish?

buddee
03-25-2014, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback thus far, and thanks for the surface explanation Mr. Mom, then on that token i should get both the mother's metal and the chrome polish as they will both have their place and uses.

As you all may know most newer cars won't have alot of chrome or metal as older vehicles do (as noted by 57BORNTORUN), but there are still quite a few trucks and some SUV style vehicles that will still have chrome grills and rims, and some metal bumpers, which is primarily what i'm targeting here.

Kevin Cullen
03-25-2014, 06:38 AM
Zephyr pro 40 is a good one yes. You should be able to find White Diamond in truck stops/ travel plaza's if you have one near you. BEWARE OF ANY POLISH THAT HAS AMMONIA IN IT! I can't stress this enough, if you use it on aluminum it will turn it yellow.

forrest@mothers
03-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback thus far, and thanks for the surface explanation Mr. Mom, then on that token i should get both the mother's metal and the chrome polish as they will both have their place and uses.

As you all may know most newer cars won't have alot of chrome or metal as older vehicles do (as noted by 57BORNTORUN), but there are still quite a few trucks and some SUV style vehicles that will still have chrome grills and rims, and some metal bumpers, which is primarily what i'm targeting here.

Whether it's our brand, or another, the most important thing is the proper polish for the finish.

Keep in mind many of those "chrome" grills you're referring to are actually plastic with a film over them. It's not real chrome. Regular use of a chrome polish will damage the film. You're better off with a spray detailer or a wax instead of a chrome polish.

FUNX650
03-25-2014, 08:01 AM
I'd like to add that most auto chrome (bright work) is known as decorative chrome.
It is as bright and shiny as it's ever gong to be, when it comes from "the factory".
And...Since this type of chromium-plating's thickness is measured in millionths of an inch, care must be taken when attempting to polish it---never to the point where the chromium plating is compromised.

Going with the least aggressive metal/chrome polishes and buffs is a "best practice" to keep in mind, IMO. Simichrome is one such polish.

Bob

Deebo1133
03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Im definitely following this thread. I'm pretty new to metal/chrome/etc polishing and have a motorcycle to do in the near future so have been looking into metal polishes lately.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

On a motorcycle you may very well find a lot of aluminum. Depends how much work you want to put in but you can get into buffing wheels and compounds if you want your stuff to really shine.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/6/parts084.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/06parts084j)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/513/006zto.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/e9006ztoj)

primo spaghetti
03-25-2014, 08:41 PM
I've used autosol and menzerna metal polish with good success....

oldmodman
03-26-2014, 03:08 AM
You don't put power steering fluid in a transmission - use the proper product type for the finish you have.

Actually, you do on some cars.:confused:

I was just working on an older Volvo and the manual says that the power steering system takes ATF.;)