PDA

View Full Version : When to use an AIO?

Pages : [1] 2

Photecs
03-23-2014, 01:12 PM
New to the hobby, and before I spend $400-$500 on my first order.... I'm still fuzzy in one area.

I plan on doing a wash/nanoskin/swirl remover & glaze (WG)/wax.... But here's my question....
Two/three months when the lsp starts to fade and I want to "brighten the shine" and then put on another coat of wax, is this where the AIO product comes in?

Is this where XMT 360, or similar product fits?

I don't want to use another type of polish that takes away from the CC, as I should only need to do a correction once a year if that.... So when using a PC, what pad/product combo is best for this "maintenance step"?

finedetails
03-23-2014, 01:37 PM
An AIO would probably help in this situation, but it may not be necessary as it does work as a polish as well. If the car is washed/maintained in an acceptable manner, a new coat of wax should be all you need.
If the car is a daily driver or left outside all the time, things of that nature, then the AIO may be the way to go.
What part of Ontario are you in?

dcjredline
03-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Id personally skip the glaze...
An AIO is used for light swirls and scratches, it normally doesnt correct paint that it too trashed.

I use it on light to medium swirled vehicles OR people who just want the car to look 60% better.

Photecs
03-23-2014, 02:14 PM
What part of Ontario are you in?

Southern Ontario... Same neck of the woods as you...

Id personally skip the glaze...
An AIO is used for light swirls and scratches, it normally doesnt correct paint that it too trashed.

I use it on light to medium swirled vehicles OR people who just want the car to look 60% better.

My paint is not trashed, I have a 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T. Some spider webbing / swirls to eliminate.... Then upkeep.

I've been sold on the Wolfgang SR 3.0 & Glaze combo after reading reviews.... But do you think the XMT 360 with an orange and white pad might be all I need?

And agin.... For the middle steps and not wanting use a polish with any correcting capabilities, what products are recommended?

finedetails
03-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Where are you buying your products from?
I have been hooked on Chemical Guys. I know a lot of people aren't fans around here, but I have had a lot of good work come from their products.

Photecs
03-23-2014, 07:26 PM
From all the reading I've been doing, I'm split 50/50 between CG products and some of the products AG carries. I have my final "first shopping list" finalized... But as we live north of the border, shipping fees are nuts, and eshine/auto obsessed doesn't carry everything I want.
I'm going to go for LC flat pads, but would rather Hex Logic... Can't afford the exchange and shipping difference.... Flat pads are a much better deal for basically the same thing.
As it is, I'll have to order a little from AG, Amazon, eshine and olde town auto spa in niagara to get what I want.

After my initial correction is done... I want a quick machine useable product to help "buff it" to perfection, make sure the old lsp is gone before applying a new layer of wax

VP Mark
03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
No.

An AIO will remove the protection you have already applied to the car. You need to top your applied protection with something new to renew the gloss. Optimum car wax is quick and easy and so is opti seal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

dcjredline
03-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Southern Ontario... Same neck of the woods as you...

My paint is not trashed, I have a 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T. Some spider webbing / swirls to eliminate.... Then upkeep.

I've been sold on the Wolfgang SR 3.0 & Glaze combo after reading reviews.... But do you think the XMT 360 with an orange and white pad might be all I need?

And agin.... For the middle steps and not wanting use a polish with any correcting capabilities, what products are recommended?

If you dont want much correction then I would suggest the 360 with a Lake Country CCS white or green pad. Also Optimum Poli Seal with either pad will give you a nice polish without a lot of correction.

finedetails
03-23-2014, 08:59 PM
If you are interested in trying out some CG products, hit me up with a pm, I have a bunch and I'm always looking for another vehicle to work on.

conthedon
03-23-2014, 09:36 PM
if daily driver/outside all the time, AIO is especially good at bringing the shine back again by doing some light correction and cleaning the paint. An easy prep, and gives some sealant protection before laying down a fresh coat of wax. I use poli seal which is great, white pad.

TundraPower
03-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Auto Finesse Tripple is #1 in the AIO game right now. Very impressive product. The protection part of the AIO is weak though...put some wax over it.

Photecs
03-24-2014, 08:27 AM
if daily driver/outside all the time, AIO is especially good at bringing the shine back again by doing some light correction and cleaning the paint. An easy prep, and gives some sealant protection before laying down a fresh coat of wax. I use poli seal which is great, white pad.

That's what i'm looking for... examples! Nice. It is my daily driver... black metallic paint, so I really want to make this paint pop again. I dont' want to keep "correcting" over and over again for the obvious reasons - but 1) want to take all the lsp off before laying another coat, and 2) just bring it back a nice shine before putting down that lsp for the best look.

Auto Finesse Tripple is #1 in the AIO game right now. Very impressive product. The protection part of the AIO is weak though...put some wax over it.

Sounds like some more reading/homework is in order... thanks.

conthedon
03-27-2014, 03:01 PM
That's what i'm looking for... examples! Nice. It is my daily driver... black metallic paint, so I really want to make this paint pop again. I dont' want to keep "correcting" over and over again for the obvious reasons - but 1) want to take all the lsp off before laying another coat, and 2) just bring it back a nice shine before putting down that lsp for the best look.

Sounds like some more reading/homework is in order... thanks.

I have black sapphire metallic paint as well and poli seal doesnt disappoint in bringing that pop back, extremely easy to apply and remove (im a fan of the optimun line)

VISITOR
03-27-2014, 03:09 PM
I have black sapphire metallic paint as well and poli seal doesnt disappoint in bringing that pop back, extremely easy to apply and remove (im a fan of the optimun line)

it cleans well and virtually melts into the paint when using it with a DA and wipes of super easy. it doesn't get any easier to use...

BobbyG
03-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Most hobbies end up as obsessions and detailing is one of the most addictive hobbies you can have! :laughing:

You could use an all-in-one but it really depends on the condition of the finish.

All-in-ones are a great way to go. Pinnacles XMT 360 is a strong contender in this arena and will work well for you. Pinnacles lineup needs no introduction as it's performance and results speaks volumes.

If you need to stay within a budget and desire superb results take a look at Duragloss products.

Duragloss #105 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html) and Duragloss #501 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-marine-rv-polish--501.html) are excellent all-in-one products that clean, polish, and leave the finish looking brilliant. Duragloss #501 seems to have just a bit more corrective properties and both can be used on your finish without ever worrying about breaching the clear coat.

To boost up the shine give Duragloss Aquawax (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aquawax--951.html) a try. This is one of the most economical spray waxes you'll ever use and will add a couple of months extra protection for each use...