PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner wax ruined trim

muscleman
03-23-2014, 12:22 PM
My friends cars trim has been fadded and ruined by cleaner wax that he got on it , Im sure there is already a thread on this but how can u fix this?

Sent from my LGL35G using AG Online

Audios S6
03-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Can you further define "ruined"? Any photos? Is this smooth or pebble textured trim? As I'm sure you realize, faded trim is relatively easy to address; whatever "ruined" is, might not be so easy.

Regardless, here would be my ramp-it-up procedure. As always, perform test spots. start with an all purposes cleaner and gentle brush to clean the trim and verify true condition. Try APC with a MF towel is areas that got cleaner waxed. Take a second stab with APC and a brush attachment for your drill or DA. Bump it up to a mild solvent (IPA perhaps) to remove cleaner wax residue. Bump it up to a heavy duty solvent (xylene perhaps) to remove residue. Treat trim with UTTG+, PERL, gtechniq C4 or similar protectant.

jamesboyy
03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
I would just clean the trim a few times with a all purpose cleaner to remove any contamination then just apply a trim dressing that I have on hand(for the time begin) or if you want a more permanent solution redye the trim

muscleman
03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Would 10:1 megs apc work ill send pics when its not raining

Sent from my LGL35G using AG Online

swanicyouth
03-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Just like most APCs won't remove wax on paint - they won't remove it on trim. Unless you can scrub it with some nylon brush or similar.

I use Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner or 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner. Both of these seem to strip everything off of trim well. Use a cotton towel and scrub. The best towels for this are some cotton wash clothes I "borrowed" from a hotel I stayed at.

master detailer
03-23-2014, 01:59 PM
acetone will fit it.We use it on boats evey day to clean rubber trim and then put dressing on it after.Like new

Lakeside Detail
03-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Anyone try mothers trim cleaner to remove old wax from trim?

WillWashesCars
03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
1z Deep Plastic cleaner has worked well for me. APC's do remove wax at stronger concentrations. I used OPC and APC+ for years to strip waxes prior to fresh application. But I would use caution on trim.

1z Deep Plastic cleaner works.

tpr1634
03-23-2014, 04:06 PM
acetone will fit it.We use it on boats evey day to clean rubber trim and then put dressing on it after.Like new

Straight or diluted ?

primo spaghetti
03-23-2014, 08:12 PM

acetone will melt plastic in my experience...never tried it on rubber.

Nth Degree
03-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Try a pink eraser, then follow with a little APC to get rid of the rubber.

mwoolfso
03-24-2014, 08:54 AM
The problem with some cleaner-waxes is that the abrasives have the potential to stain the trim. I learned this from experience.

Don't laugh until you try it..... peanut butter works and tends to cover that which cannot be removed.

57BORNTORUN
03-24-2014, 09:04 AM
The problem with some cleaner-waxes is that the abrasives have the potential to stain the trim. I learned this from experience.

Don't laugh until you try it..... peanut butter works and tends to cover that which cannot be removed.
Does it have to be butter or can one use peanut oil?

rjd598
03-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Anyone try mothers trim cleaner to remove old wax from trim?

Yes, it works