PDA

View Full Version : Smat vs dat

RPM
03-23-2014, 11:13 AM
After just reading one of the Flex polishing primer threads(not to be misconstrued with priming a pad) :laughing:...the terms SMAT and DAT came up , now I think this refers to Diminishing or Non Diminishing polishes...is that right ? could we have a little discussion here to splain the differences and coding on the products ?

Steve.

arisking
03-23-2014, 11:20 AM
There's plenty of threads around but you are right.

DAT - Diminishing abrasive technology
SMAT - Super micro abrasive technology

cleanmycorolla
03-23-2014, 11:38 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Here is an incredible review done by Todd Helme. This will get you pointed in the right direction on understanding the differences.

The Difference Between Diminishing and Non-Diminishing Abrasive Polishes - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/40223-difference-between-diminishing-non-diminishing-abrasive-polishes.html)

FUNX650
03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Just more proof of what that the innovative and creative minds of the good folks over at Meguiar's have introduced to the detailing community over the last century or so.

Labeling/categorizing abrasives in this DAT/SMAT manner:
No less than a Stroke of Genius!!

Bob

PiPUK
03-23-2014, 03:23 PM
An interesting thing to note is that the major abrasive suppliers (the multi-nationals who supply thousands of tonnes of abrasive worldwide, per annum) don't recognise any of this terminology. SMAT, DAT, Diminishing, Non-diminishing... meaningless to the experts in the abrasives industry. With various discussions, I think I know what they actually mean, in terms of an abrasive, but with such uncertainty, I have to admit to a bit of scepticism about it all.

FUNX650
03-23-2014, 06:14 PM
An interesting thing to note is that the major abrasive suppliers (the multi-nationals who supply thousands of tonnes of abrasive worldwide, per annum) don't recognise any of this terminology. SMAT, DAT, Diminishing, Non-diminishing... meaningless to the experts in the abrasives industry. With various discussions, I think I know what they actually mean, in terms of an abrasive, but with such uncertainty, I have to admit to a bit of scepticism about it all.
-DAT/SMAT...Yes: strictly a Meguiar's precept.
(Even 3M, a company that was founded upon abrasives,
doesn't use this particular terminology.)

-The abrasives used in "detailing compounds/polishes" are usually in loose or powdered form, and have these properties: Hardness, fracture and wear resistance.

-The abrasives themselves are called abrasive grains, and are graded by "size".
Grain sizing is done by the "sieve (screen)-method". Ex:
A size 10 grain will just barely go through a size 10 sieve/screen.

-The courseness or fineness of abrasives is determined by this sizing...according to the abrasive industry standards.

In comparison:
Here are two of Meguiar's abrasive products...

1.) M85 (one of their DATs)
a. Uses aluminum-oxide abrasives (CAS# 1344-28-1)
b. @ 20-50% by weight
c. Grain size? N/A---probably a: trade secret
d. Grain size is said to start out larger, than the smaller size that's obtained at/towards the end of its buffing cycle.
e. Will experience "breaking down" phenomenon.

2.) M105 (one of their SMATs)
a. Uses aluminum-oxide abrasives (CAS# 1344-28-1)
b. @ 10-30% by weight
c. Grain size? N/A---probably a: trade secret
d. Grain size is said to start out small, remain small for a long duration of buffing-time.
e. Won't experience much additional "breaking down".

All-in-All: It's Amazing...
What having products that perform as marketed
will do to a company's reputation and bottom-line...
Even when not falling in lock-step with another industry's standards!!

Bob

hernandez.art13
03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
So a SMAT product like M105 are the ones that you can spray a quick spray of water to keep working it longer?

arisking
03-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Yeah, if it starts drying up.

So a SMAT product like M105 are the ones that you can spray a quick spray of water to keep working it longer?