PDA

View Full Version : Old Wax Emergency

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ge234
03-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey Guys, I am in a jam and need help. An old customer called me today. Apparently I missed removing some of the wax on his car a few months ago. He called me today from a carwash and said they were having trouble getting the wax off. He wants me to get the wax off tomorrow. The car has matte grey paint...which is why I couldn't tell where the wax was and wasn't.

Does anyone have a tip for how I can remove the old, hardened wax? He's a great customer, I really need to fix this.

Please help!

FUNX650
03-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Hey Guys, I am in a jam and need help. An old customer called me today. Apparently I missed removing some of the wax on his car a few months ago. He called me today from a carwash and said they were having trouble getting the wax off. He wants me to get the wax off tomorrow. The car has matte grey paint...which is why I couldn't tell where the wax was and wasn't.

Does anyone have a tip for how I can remove the old, hardened wax? He's a great customer, I really need to fix this.

Please help!
Something on the order of this will work:
Griots Garage Dried-On Wax Remover (http://www.autogeekmobile.net/griots-garage-wax-remover.html)

And "Like removes Like":
Use some of the same wax (fresh),
to remove the old dried-up wax.

Also:
If he's such a great customer...
why was he at some establishment,
other than yours, for a car wash??

Bob

ge234
03-22-2014, 09:15 PM
thank you bob, i will try to find this at a local auto-parts store. he wants me there tomorrow. hopefully advanced auto or autozone will have it.

he's a great customer because he has a lot of very nice cars that i can charge a premium for...i want him to be happy with my work. i've only worked for him once.

FUNX650
03-22-2014, 09:24 PM
thank you bob, i will try to find this at a local auto-parts store. he wants me there tomorrow. hopefully advanced auto or autozone will have it.

he's a great customer because he has a lot of very nice cars that i can charge a premium for...i want him to be happy with my work. i've only worked for him once.
If they don't have the Griot's,
another dedicated dried-wax remover should work.

Don't forget about taking the tin of the wax you originally used.

You need to get this customer on a maintenance program.
Cleaning up this wax residue could do it!

Bob

ge234
03-22-2014, 09:28 PM
i really appreciate your guidance bob, thank you again. i'm new to this business and hope that solid customer service will do the trick

ge234
03-22-2014, 09:45 PM
would a 'quick detailer' work if i cannot find a specified wax remover?

SYMAWD
03-22-2014, 10:05 PM
would a 'quick detailer' work if i cannot find a specified wax remover?

Maybe, maybe not. If it's just wax, an All Purpose Cleaner will work. You will just have to re wax the area afterwords.

ge234
03-22-2014, 10:11 PM
can i assume an all-purpose cleaner and a quick-detail spray are the same thing?

TundraPower
03-22-2014, 10:16 PM
The best products I know of for old dried wax removal are Lusso Pant Cleaner and Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular.

jfelbab
03-22-2014, 10:21 PM
I'd try using more of the same wax. This should re-liquify the old wax and make removal easy.

SYMAWD
03-22-2014, 10:22 PM
can i assume an all-purpose cleaner and a quick-detail spray are the same thing?

They are not. One is cleaner and the other is generally a gloss enhancer.

GenesisCoupe
03-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Maybe, maybe not. If it's just wax, an All Purpose Cleaner will work. You will just have to re wax the area afterwords.

Diluted APC will work as it will strip off the wax.

brondondolon
03-22-2014, 10:33 PM
I'd try using an all purpose cleaner and a MF towel then re wax that area.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

cshamilton
03-22-2014, 11:24 PM
If it can wait 'til monday, you can also use p21s paint cleansing lotion. Available at the local Harley dealership.

Be careful. I learned a lesson the hard way that I hope you don't. I looked for customers before I looked for information. I did a great job on two of a great customer's cars, but on the third, left some dried wax on his black trim. Haven't heard from him since.

That lead me to this forum, and subsequently, massive amounts of research. I have learned so much from this site, things it would have taken me years of "burning bridges" like the one I did. $$ costly mistake...

There are some clues you're giving that say you could use some similar research.

I'd start here:

Ask the expert featuring Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/)

The Vehicle Inspection Form comes to mind too (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/62084-mike-phillips-vif-vehicle-inspection-form.html)

Another great article by Mike Phillips that seems applicable here (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)

I could go on for days sending you every article that he's written, but as Mrs. Roosevelt said,

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself. ”

One thing to remember, it costs a lot more to acquire a new customer than it does to keep an existing one! You're right to make him happy!

Last but not least! Welcome to AGO!

Peddiesake
03-23-2014, 08:38 AM
I use P 21S paint cleaner on my vehicles. Gentle and effective.