PDA

View Full Version : Power washers--friend or foe

gr82bhum
03-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I have been hearing from my friends that using a power washer to detail a vehicle is actually a bad thing. Some report it can damage the paint to blowing off trim. What are your experiences?

Matt
03-08-2006, 11:10 AM
If you're careful and don't use something with too much pressure, it should be OK. I have seen paint come off edges with just a high pressure garden hose.

If you keep your distance it should be OK, but like I said, be careful.

prairiedad
03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
i havent had any luck with gas powered washers as they are designed to peel paint and wash siding and the like. good to take off underneath mud but who wants to do this in their driveway. not accustomed to the plug-in type washers that have less pressure.

5000XD
03-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I've been thinking to use my dads to clean underneath of the cars, but then again be careful.

sooper
03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a Karcher 1740 psi washer. On vehicles, I only use it for cleaning wheel wells, etc., even though it has an adjustable nozzle. I just have an aversion to using it on the paint. I am an old fashioned 2 bucket method kind of guy when it comes to washing. Of course I do not detail professionally and I am sure others on this board will have a lot more opinions to share with you.

Neothin
03-08-2006, 02:35 PM
when i had my first car, a repainted white 94 chrysler concorde, i decided to power wash it to get it extra clean. i soon came upon a spot that wouldnt come off, so being an uneducated teenager i stuck the nozzle right on top of that spot. got the dirt off for sure! along with the paint :(

ever sinc ehtat, i dont use pressure washers when detailing.

DARKSTI
03-08-2006, 03:13 PM
if my car is super dirty or muddy, i will go and use the power washer at a DIY car wash, but i use it at a angle and not at full blast, havent had any problems so far...