PDA

View Full Version : Buying the Flex 3401

Pages : [1] 2

RPM
03-22-2014, 02:58 PM
I just got off the horn with the store , the 3401 is in stock...think I will order it today , now my question , I have a good selection of CCS in all flavors in stock...need I buy the hybrids ?..I read that they are the fave pads....I cut my teeth with CCS and have always liked them.

ken tuep
03-22-2014, 03:10 PM
I have used mine with ccs pads, and they work fine. Use up your current pads, and maybe pick up a few hybrids, to see how you like them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

AutowerxDetailing
03-22-2014, 03:22 PM
I've never used the hybrid pads with the Flex. It works great though with normal flat and CCS pads in my experience.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

Kamakaz1961
03-22-2014, 03:22 PM
I wish I bought the Flex 3401 1st. I have a PC 7424 XP and rarely use it now. The Flex is a great machine. As for pads I do use the CCS pads and Hex Logic pads. I also got the 4 3/8 inch backing plate for the 5-5.5 inch pads. The Flex comes with a backing plate that takes the 6-6.5 inch pads. Either way you will love the machine!! Very nice choice

RPM
03-22-2014, 03:45 PM
I have used my PC and Maguars DA machines for years , generally ,I set one up with the little backing plate and a 4 " pad and the other with a six...I pretty much use Menzerna polishes and have done very well with paint correction. I do want to move up to the next level and get tired of tearing my arm off with the vibration.My plan now is to move up to the 3401 and later on to get the little Flex rotary..that will complete my polisher arson ...er should. :xyxthumbs:

Tato
03-22-2014, 03:48 PM
You can do fine with your pads, and you'll enjoy a lot more every pad you have paired with 3401.

I've started with G220v2 from Meguiar's and based on standard backing plate size (didn't knew AG that time), I've ordered mainly 6.5 flat and CCS.

Although I could do some decent job, I felt the need to step down b.plate size (mainly for correction), and use thinner pads as well. That time I've invested on MF pads, and 'retired' larger pads.

Since I've received my 3401 I've been able to use the larger pads with awesome performance (they will spin like they should!), and now 'retired' mainly thinner pads. The smaller (4, 5") I still use switching FLEX backing plates for spots and smaller areas, also still use MF because they simply rock! and works fine on 3401 with proper technique.

That's the good news!

The bad news (just for you, lol!) is that Hybrid pads are 'the beast!'. In fact, their size and beveled format were design (I believe, can't 'prove it') to be used with 3401. They are perfect fit on smaller LC changeable plate and on standard backing plate.

Design is nothing without performance, and in this field, Hybrid pads perform! The main advantage I've seen using hybrids is the finishing they provide, even when using cutting compounds on cutting pads.

To illustrate, when using a CCS / Flat setup:

I Essentially do 3 steps:
- Orange for Cutting
- White/Gray for Polishing to a High Gloss
- Gray (if needed) for Finishing Polish.

*from my experience, I've always benefited considerably doing more steps to refine when using the pads above.

Using Hybrids

Generally I select the cut level for 1-step polish
- Wool for heavy cutting
- Orange for 1-step polish on heavier defects
- Blue for 1-step polish on moderate defects
- White for 1-step polish on moderate/fine defects
- Yellow for 1-step polish on fine defects
- Gray for 1-step polish on finest defects / finishing polish after any pad above when needed

*from my experience, I've rarely benefited considerably doing more steps to refine when using the pads above.

Please, do not face my write above literally. This is just a 'theoretical' example.

In fact, you can do how many steps you want with any pad, I mean, if you want cut with hybrid wool, heavy polish with orange, medium polish with white and finish with gray, why not?

I'm also not putting in check the value of refinement, but you always have to ask yourself 'what you're working on'(?): Show Car Detailing or (High Level) Production Detailing.

My market is generally towards 1-step polish with the best correction / finish possible, so in my daily routine, the Hybrids are what I reach first.

**Another thing to be aware of is the learning curve with the Flex. **

Even if you're already experienced with machine polishing, I can easily state you'll do great the first time using 3401. But don't feel so happy (!?),

... with some time of hands-on working with it you'll notice that this machine will get your polishing experience to a whole new level.

That said, do you need the Hybrids? No. Will you benefit from using them if you have 3401? Absolutely, Y E S!, categorically.

Try to get at least Orange, White and Gray so you can have the best match and the feel for it. Will you face heavy defects? Get the wool hybrid as well.

It's also important to consider what polishes you're willing to use, that may change everything again.

Sorry, really sorry, I don't work for LC neither Flex, I'm just willing to spend your money hahahhaa, so I don't feel alone spending mine!

By the use I have from this machine, I'm using every single pad I still have, but I re-stock only Hybrids. They worked for me.

Hope I've helped,

And Congratulations on your order.

Kind Regards.

RPM
03-22-2014, 04:09 PM
You can do fine with your pads, and you'll enjoy a lot more every pad you have paired with 3401.

I've started with G220v2 from Meguiar's and based on standard backing plate size (didn't knew AG that time), I've ordered mainly 6.5 flat and CCS.

Although I could do some decent job, I felt the need to step down b.plate size (mainly for correction), and use thinner pads as well. That time I've invested on MF pads, and 'retired' larger pads.

Since I've received my 3401 I've been able to use the larger pads with awesome performance (they will spin like they should!), and now 'retired' mainly thinner pads. The smaller (4, 5") I still use switching FLEX backing plates for spots and smaller areas, also still use MF because they simply rock! and works fine on 3401 with proper technique.

That's the good news!

The bad news (just for you, lol!) is that Hybrid pads are 'the beast!'. In fact, their size and beveled format were design (I believe, can't 'prove it') to be used with 3401. They are perfect fit on smaller LC changeable plate and on standard backing plate.

Design is nothing without performance, and in this field, Hybrid pads perform! The main advantage I've seen using hybrids is the finishing they provide, even when using cutting compounds on cutting pads.

To illustrate, when using a CCS / Flat setup:

I Essentially do 3 steps:
- Orange for Cutting
- White/Gray for Polishing to a High Gloss
- Gray (if needed) for Finishing Polish.

*from my experience, I've always benefited considerably doing more steps to refine when using the pads above.

Using Hybrids

Generally I select the cut level for 1-step polish
- Wool for heavy cutting
- Orange for 1-step polish on heavier defects
- Blue for 1-step polish on moderate defects
- White for 1-step polish on moderate/fine defects
- Yellow for 1-step polish on fine defects
- Gray for 1-step polish on finest defects / finishing polish after any pad above when needed

*from my experience, I've rarely benefited considerably doing more steps to refine when using the pads above.

Please, do not face my write above literally. This is just a 'theoretical' example.

In fact, you can do how many steps you want with any pad, I mean, if you want cut with hybrid wool, heavy polish with orange, medium polish with white and finish with gray, why not?

I'm also not putting in check the value of refinement, but you always have to ask yourself 'what you're working on'(?): Show Car Detailing or (High Level) Production Detailing.

My market is generally towards 1-step polish with the best correction / finish possible, so in my daily routine, the Hybrids are what I reach first.

**Another thing to be aware of is the learning curve with the Flex. **

Even if you're already experienced with machine polishing, I can easily state you'll do great the first time using 3401. But don't feel so happy (!?),

... with some time of hands-on working with it you'll notice that this machine will get your polishing experience to a whole new level.

That said, do you need the Hybrids? No. Will you benefit from using them if you have 3401? Absolutely, Y E S!, categorically.

Try to get at least Orange, White and Gray so you can have the best match and the feel for it. Will you face heavy defects? Get the wool hybrid as well.

It's also important to consider what polishes you're willing to use, that may change everything again.

Sorry, really sorry, I don't work for LC neither Flex, I'm just willing to spend your money hahahhaa, so I don't feel alone spending mine!

By the use I have from this machine, I'm using every single pad I still have, but I re-stock only Hybrids. They worked for me.

Hope I've helped,

And Congratulations on your order.

Kind Regards.\

Thanks very much for your reply !...that gives me stuff to think about , I have read a lot about the orange pad finishing down real nice , that sounds good , so it sounds like if you proceed further you will start jeweling the finish...I like that...plus that would be a big time saver..:hungry: I guess I will order a few hybrids ...I cant learn on them if I aint got um...:buffing:

RPM
03-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Oh , I guess I should ask being a newb with the flex, should I start with maybe a white pad at a slower speed er maybe a blue until I cut my new teeth ?:D

Rsurfer
03-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Oh , I guess I should ask being a newb with the flex, should I start with maybe a white pad at a slower speed er maybe a blue until I cut my new teeth ?:D

The Flex is a DA, so you can run before you can walk. If this was the PE then yes, start at lower rpm (600). Now you need to walk before you can run.

Alansr
03-22-2014, 05:40 PM
The flex is an incredible machine. I started with a griot 6 and was looking for something that would work a little faster. I absolutely love my flex From the first time I used it. Now I use my griot with a 3 inch backing plate for bumpers and small areas that my flex won't fit in.

tpr1634
03-22-2014, 06:10 PM
I just got off the horn with the store , the 3401 is in stock...think I will order it today , now my question , I have a good selection of CCS in all flavors in stock...need I buy the hybrids ?..I read that they are the fave pads....I cut my teeth with CCS and have always liked them.

I use the ccs with my flex, which in I love, and I have but have not tried the hybrid pads.:buffing:

03-22-2014, 06:12 PM
3401 & hybrids partnered with Menzerna FG400/SF4000 = Swirl free shine & gloss :dblthumb2:

Sbmin
03-22-2014, 07:33 PM
3401 & hybrids partnered with Menzerna FG400/SF4000 = Swirl free shine & gloss :dblthumb2:

:iagree:

RPM
03-22-2014, 08:41 PM
I just ordered a couple minutes ago...thanks for the help and suggestions guys..it is Muchly Appreciated....guess the brown truck will deliver bout thursday...:dblthumb2:

Steve.

03-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Which pads did you end up getting?