PDA

View Full Version : Wax/sealant removal?

Scubadaddy
03-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Spring is here! As soon as the temperature allows, I plan on adding some Wolfgang sealant to my vehicle. I applied it in late fall before all the snow.

Question #1: Since I do not plan on doing any correction, do I need to remove the sealant or just clay and apply over the coat on now? I understand that you should remove a wax/sealant if you are using a different wax/sealant, but do you need to do this if you will be using the same one?

I have some Wolfgang finishing glaze. Would this:

1. Remove the sealant?

2. Should I apply it even though I am happy with the paint's condition. Does not need correction. Would this increase the shine/gloss? Is it needed?

Thanks!

jamesboyy
03-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Spring is here! As soon as the temperature allows, I plan on adding some Wolfgang sealant to my vehicle. I applied it in late fall before all the snow.

Question #1: Since I do not plan on doing any correction, do I need to remove the sealant or just clay and apply over the coat on now? I understand that you should remove a wax/sealant if you are using a different wax/sealant, but do you need to do this if you will be using the same one?

I have some Wolfgang finishing glaze. Would this:

1. Remove the sealant?

2. Should I apply it even though I am happy with the paint's condition. Does not need correction. Would this increase the shine/gloss? Is it needed?

Thanks!

You are removing your last step product which ever route you go therefore I would just give the vehicle a good bath, then clay bar it to remove any contamination then apply wax/sealant of choice also a glaze will not remove anything its just like a lotion for your paint

RawDetail
03-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Get a citrus wash or similar. The 'gloss washes' won't remove sealant etc. If you want to do it properly, get a citrus/degrease wash,then clay and IPA wipe down.

Rmd
03-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Despite the name, WG Finishing Glaze is a polish. It is an abrasive roughly equivalent to Menzerna SF4000 and it will correct light defects, and will remove anything on the vehicle currently.

Scubadaddy
03-22-2014, 10:02 PM
If I just want to seal/do I need to remove the old sealant?

jamesboyy
03-22-2014, 10:28 PM
If I just want to seal/do I need to remove the old sealant?

Yes you need to remove the old layer of sealant that way the new coat of sealant will bond to the paint, and not a old coat of sealant

KillaCam
03-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Despite the name, WG Finishing Glaze is a polish. It is an abrasive roughly equivalent to Menzerna SF4000 and it will correct light defects, and will remove anything on the vehicle currently.

This. Polish then seal after.