PDA

View Full Version : How soon to wax 2015 X3

Pages : [1] 2

mtndriver
03-22-2014, 11:33 AM
If a 2015 BMW is produced in April and delivered in May is it ok to wax or do I need to wait awhile? Would be using Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Unless I see a need I don't plan to clay or use a gloss enhancing polish. Does this plan sound ok? Other suggestions for a new vehicle? Thanks

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Yup, it's cured fully at the factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreatAvalon
You can wax/seal right away. I took delivery of my car Friday 11/30, it was produced 11/18, and I sealed and waxed it that weekend or the next. So 2-3 weeks after the car was painted I sealed and waxed it. I believe since car paint from factories are baked on, or heated to speed curing, that alleviates the "wait xx days" thing like if you got a panel repainted from a body shop, or a whole new paint job. So go crazy on it as soon as you want :xyxthumbs:

Do the baggy test and use the results to tell you if you need to clay and Iron decon from rail dust/transport.

ekennet - sorry to repeat you, you responded while I was typing :D

Bill1234
If a 2015 BMW is produced in April and delivered in May is it ok to wax or do I need to wait awhile? Would be using Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Unless I see a need I don't plan to clay or use a gloss enhancing polish. Does this plan sound ok? Other suggestions for a new vehicle? Thanks

I am almost sure it is 90 days , could be more of less, you should definately clay as your protection bonds better and clay will increase gloss. I would skip the gep

HateSwirls
03-22-2014, 11:39 AM
You can wax a brand new car right off the assembly line with no issues, in fact I'd recommend you do to make sure you have good protection.
I've done a few new cars, I always clay first then wax, that way I know the car is contaminant free.

Different story on a "re-sprayed" car, I always tell people to wait 90 days.

Cajun Detailing by Kevin (http://www.cajundetailingbykevin.com)

mtndriver
03-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Ok, great advice. Yeah, I probably would clay just to get a good start for the future - doesn't take long, then wash again and to the BF Wet Diamond.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-22-2014, 12:50 PM
You can coat it the day you bring it home if you wish. This is the only time you can do this with a new car. When it has been re sprayed you should wait anywhere from 60-90 days.

hernandez.art13
03-22-2014, 01:08 PM
I vote for coating the car over waxing.

I would,

check if I need to clay,
maybe a quick polish
then coat my paint. I'd pick it over a carnauba or sealant,
then you can always use a spray wax.

hernandez.art13
03-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Also a new car's paint is cured, body shop repaints there is a waiting period before it is recommended you wax. Probably varies for companies, but for PPG it is 90 days.

Side Note: if you do wax a repaint however, nothing really happens. Almost like they don't recommend waxing a coating. Not really a big deal if you do.

mtndriver
03-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I am not that familiar with coating vs. waxing (BF type product). Could you direct me to info on that?

Rayaz
03-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Wax/sealant/coating refers to the properties of surface protection. Wax is generally natural (carnauba), sealant is synthetic. They are widely varied as to benefits and properties. They last anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6 months with wax being at the lower end of that spectrum.

Coatings are also synthetic but last much longer and are a little more complicated to apply but you won't have to do it near as often, in some cases, once. It depends on what you're after in the way of looks and longevity and how much time you have to fuss with your car. You have a few months to get familiar with each.

Most people feel wax looks best but it has to be re-applied more often. Sealants and coatings generally don't have the warm look of a good carnauba wax but they last longer so are ultimately less work to keep up. If it's a daily driver, coatings offer the best protection and are the easiest to maintain. Since none of my cars go to shows or competitions, I gave up and Opti Coated them all. I am very happy with the results and it takes about an hour to return them to like new condition. More work on the front end since your paint has to be perfect and surgically clean, but way less work in the long run.

Hope that helps.

Flash Gordon
03-22-2014, 04:44 PM

ScotchGaurd your carpets while you're at it

KillaCam
03-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Also a new car's paint is cured, body shop repaints there is a waiting period before it is recommended you wax. Probably varies for companies, but for PPG it is 90 days.

Side Note: if you do wax a repaint however, nothing really happens. Almost like they don't recommend waxing a coating. Not really a big deal if you do.

I thought the whole curing period was for the paint to outgas so it fully hardens and lasts longer? I know you probably know much more about painting and body shops than I do but that's what I heard.

mtndriver
03-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Since I plan to keep the car for 4-5 years I think I'll stick with the Blackfire All Finish twice a year as I had good luck with this on prior cars. Not sure a sealant/coating will benefit me that much but I welcome any arguments pro and con.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-23-2014, 12:59 AM
Here is some reading to get you started on coatings. I recommend that you do coat the X5. Maybe you have a vehicle that you could first start on to get some experience under your belt. Most coatings are extremely slick and have a self cleaning effect on themselves since hardly anything will stick to it.

How To Apply a Car Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-apply-a-car-paint-coating.html)

I have coated my wife's BMW wagon and will soon coat my BMW. Here is a review on the DP paint coating.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/69885-review-dp-prep-polish-paint-coating.html

If you would like help at any point don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Mike