PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique my CART and my Process!

Pages : [1] 2

acv987
03-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Hey guys/girls,
New guy here. Sorry for the long first post! I have been what I thought was "detailing" my own cars for a decade but after finding this site I see I was mistaken haha! After this winter ended I went though my supplies, and most were empty, old, or just junk so I tossed it all and am buying new.

I have always wanted a black car but have been afraid due to my analness about dirt and scratches. I finally got a black 2014 Accord Sport last week. I am excited for how fantastic a black car can look but afraid of causing swirls and defects.

I have been reading through this forum but there is so much info its hard to make a decision and products. Here is what i have so far, in order of my car care process:

WASHING VIA 2 BUCKET METHOD
2 x home depot buckets with grit guards
Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
Optimum Rinseless Car Wash (FOR IN BETWEEN REGULAR WASHES)
Simple Green (for door jamb grease)
Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
MOTHERS 05924 Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner
Viking 862600 Red and Black Premium Metal Free Wheel and Rim Wand
Stoner 91164 Invisible Glass Cleaner - 19 oz.
24X36 WAFFLE WEAVE DRYING TOWEL
12-pack 16.5x16.5 plush microfiber towels

AFTER WASHED AND DRIED
(At this point should I need to clay a brand new car?)
4x foam application pads
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish ( is this used right before a sealant or do i need something else?)
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
(Should I be using a wax after? is it ok to wait a week or so to apply the wax after another wash?)
Poorboy's World Bold 'N Bright Tire Dressing Gel
4 x Griot's Garage Micro Fiber Polish Removal Cloth

Is there anything I am missing? Heres my plan. This will be the first wash of this car.

Rinse down entire vehicle to remove debris
Clean door jambs
Clean one wheel and tire at a time and rinse
Using 2 bucket method with guards wash one section at a time rinsing after wards
Dry vehicle using pooling method and waffle towels
Apply BNB
Apply by hand and Remove Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
Apply by hand and Remove Blackfire Wet Diamond
After cure apply wax?
Clean Windows

Is there any products I may have forgotten? Does my process look to be fairly complete? Thanks so much for any help.

Bunky
03-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Some may have their own favorites but my comments:

1. have spare wash mitts and drying towels.

2. For jambs and general cleaning, consider something like P21 Total Auto Wash. It is multi-surface safe unlike Simple Green. Also consider Optimum Power Clean as an all around all purpose cleaner (wheels, interior, jambs, etc).

3. Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish is a pre-wax cleaner with some filling properties so perfect to prep paint before applying BFWD. You apply the polish then immediately apply the BFWD

4. If this is the first time this car has been detailed, I would suggest claying. Max shine comes from smoother paint.

5. Get some good microfiber towels. Ideally in different colors to segregate those used on glass vs used for waxes and sealants. There are specialized ones but something with a medium nap is best for all around use. They can be expensive but if you treat them well they last.

For steps, add the clay process after washing but before the using the Gloss Enhancing polish. The BFWD is applied per the directions and buffed off but it needs some time to cure so keep it dry for 8 to 12 hrs or so.

Overall advice -- WORK clean. As you do everything, check your media (wash mitt, drying towel, polish towels) to be sure you are not picking up dirt and then putting back on the paint. If in doubt, get a new wash media, drying towel, foam applicators, microfiber towel etc. If you are rubbing hard to do anything, you are likely not doing it right.

acv987
03-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the tips! different colors and spares is a good idea. I have been considering the clay but I am hoping it will be pretty smooth after the wash. the car has 60 miles on 35mph roads on it so i can hope. If it feels rough in anyway I will clay for sure.

Say I'd like to wax after the sealant but cannot do it the same day. Is it ok to wait a few days, wash the car again then apply the wax on top of the sealant?

Also do I need a stronger wash soap for the first wash to remove any coatings?

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-22-2014, 07:22 AM
I like your cart and thought process overall. It seems like you did your homework!

Welcome to AG forums!

The only thing I would change is:

- Simple Green has no place anywhere near a car. Besides being too much cleaning power, it is also very harmful to your personal health if it gets on your skin or you breathe its fumes.
- definitely clay it.
- after clay, use the gloss enhancing polish then the all finish paint protection. This will leave you a solid protection layer you can leave as is if you want, or top with a wax once it cures. If you top it with a wax, make sure it is a finishing wax and not a cleaner wax. A lot of people use Blackfire midnight sun on top of the afpp, I just ordered this combo myself to try on my red car. If you use something that is a cleaner wax, it will remove the protection from the afpp.

Send some pics so we can see what you are working on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acv987
03-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply! Clay it is. As for the wax nnot sure what I will use but I will make sure its not a cleaner. I was looking into something like that Pinnacle stuff everyone raves about but not sure I can convince myself to spend that kind of cash.

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Get ahold of Drew and see if he will send you a sample of his new protowax? He might if you do a review for the site. 8-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acv987
03-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Im new here, who is Drew?

dsg03gt
03-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Son1c

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Isewake
03-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Are you doing all of this by hand or will you be using a polisher? i would use a polisher if you haven't planned on it.

Isewake
03-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Sorry, reread the bottom and you are doing it by hand. Would definitely get a polisher.

geekdout
03-22-2014, 01:14 PM
There are plenty of good waxes that don't cost too much. Some that I would recommend are:
Anything from Poorboys, they make great stuff. There paste wax gives a really nice look but durability isn't the best.
Finish Kare makes great paste wax for the money.
Meguiar's is a brand you can't really go wrong with. Mirror Glaze M26 paste wax is another one worth trying and won't break the bank.
3M Show Car wax is something you don't really hear about that often, but it is another really good wax.

hernandez.art13
03-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Yeah I'd skip the Simple Green. I use UWW+ for door jams. Love that stuff, can be used on just about anything on your car, maybe not fabric or leather.

I currently have 4 wash mitts.

3 for paint, top, middle and bottom of the car
(probably overkill, but it lets me sleep better at night) :D

Then 1 separate wash mitt for my wheels that I keep in my 2 wheel and bucket combo.

I am going to name it, The 2 Grit 1 bucket Art Method :laughing: before my idea gets stolen and renamed.

:cruisin:

acv987
03-22-2014, 05:54 PM
id like to use a polisher but it will have to be later on. I live in an apartment and I also can't spend anymore quite yet.

acv987
03-22-2014, 05:59 PM
yeah I got some of that optimim cleaner instead of the simple green. The hinge area on my car is gross.
Ill take some pictures of before, during, and after this first detail. Hopefully in about a week.

acv987
03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
I ordered 3 new mitts and found 3 old dirty ones I can use for tires.