PDA

View Full Version : When to switch to medium grade clay?

dbizzle22
03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Car is a 2012 VW GTI. Garaged but hasnt been protected for about a year ... meaning no wax, sealant anything. California weather but overall the paint is still very new looking.

Used some old Clay Magic blue fine grade clay that I had stored away. Still felt normal like clay should but its having problems cleaning enough to pass the bag test. I used ONR at quick detail ratio as lube and it was gliding over the surface just fine. I will be polishing it afterwards so not too concerned with marring due to clay.

I've made 3 passes on the hood but I still feel bumps as I glide over it with the bag. Do I just keep at it until its all gone? Is the clay bad / expired? Should I step up to a medium grade?

jamesboyy
03-21-2014, 11:48 PM
From my findings clay seem to last around three to five years but I never heard of it expiring if you kept it moist as for your question moving to a medium clay is a good idea cause the car have not been clayed in a while though if I had some iron-x laying around I would see if that would help

dbizzle22
03-22-2014, 12:46 AM
I did iron x it after the first round of clay using nano skin fine grade. Not a ton of purple reactions went on. Went to do bag test and found a ton of rough spots. Used the blue fine clay at that point but it still wasn't helping. Or at least it was taking a ton of elbow grease to make any difference. And even then it still won't feel perfect.

Another bummer is that I don't believe any local auto parts stores sell medium clay. I'll go look tomorrow in case they do but I doubt it. Any other ideas on where I can get some medium clay ASAP other than online?

jamesboyy
03-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Do you have a advanced auto parts nearby that's like a miniture OTC autogeek check there if you near one
Also since your in California if you are in the area of chemical guys you could go to there store

dbizzle22
03-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Do you have a advanced auto parts nearby that's like a miniture OTC autogeek check there if you near one
Also since your in California if you are in the area of chemical guys you could go to there store

Unfortunately no and no. No autozones and chemical guys is in Southern California. I'm in northern :(

I do have amazon prime and can get clay or a nanoskin medium by Tuesday. I had just planned to use my weekend to finally detail the car.

jamesboyy
03-22-2014, 07:13 AM
You could try Googleing automotive detail stores in your area too also if your paint do not become smooth after clay barring with the medium clay then you may have a bumpy orange peel or worse a paint defect present

dbizzle22
03-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Found a local detailer who was nice enough to give me some used medium clay. Much better but still not perfect. Maybe it's just dust I'm feeling?

The clay breaks apart easily and sticks to my gloves too. Hmm

Wes Bremec
03-22-2014, 02:44 PM
If your going to polish it after then put some pressure on that clay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!also i tend not to use gloves when claying because of the clay sticking to my gloves, it just slows down the process. when using pressure the clay will tend to breakdown versus no pressure. Its how it is...

dbizzle22
03-22-2014, 02:47 PM
If your going to polish it after then put some pressure on that clay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!also i tend not to use gloves when claying because of the clay sticking to my gloves, it just slows down the process. when using pressure the clay will tend to breakdown versus no pressure. Its how things when it comes to detailing

Better on the gloves than my hands. Maybe this clay is old because it really comes apart and bits break off whenever I just simply fold it

jamesboyy
03-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Found a local detailer who was nice enough to give me some used medium clay. Much better but still not perfect. Maybe it's just dust I'm feeling?

The clay breaks apart easily and sticks to my gloves too. Hmm

I am glad to hear your success, and yeah clay sticks to your hands but imo that seems to help when clay barring..have fun detailing

Flash Gordon
03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
I've never heard of a medium grade clay. Can you provide an example?

lawrenceSA
03-24-2014, 04:28 AM
I've never heard of a medium grade clay. Can you provide an example?

Clay Magic make Medium Grade clay....

It is purple in color as opposed to their fine grade (blue) clay

dbizzle22
03-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I am glad to hear your success, and yeah clay sticks to your hands but imo that seems to help when clay barring..have fun detailing

Thanks! I gave the car a quick pass with the medium clay and it got probably 90% of the bumps after doing another bag test. As it's a daily driver, I didn't want to make more passes which would lead to even more work during the polish stage. I just lived with it and did the M205/Klasse Sealant/Collonite 845. Feels perfect to the touch and super slick. Only I know it's not "perfect" so I'm trying not to be OCD about it :) Too bad white doesn't show your hardwork off as much as the other colors. But I can't keep my hands off the paint!