PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding Sealants

RubbishReview
03-21-2014, 11:42 AM
So I have been tossing the idea around of applying a sealant to my car such as Chemical Guys Jet Seal, but have a few questions.

If you apply a sealant do you still need to wax the car?

Will a carnauba wax even work after a sealant has been applied, meaning will it adhere to the car?

I have read that sealants tend to not have the same level of depth as a carnauba based wax. Would applying wax over top of the sealant as some have suggested correct this?

While I have read that sealants can last a long time up to a year, what kind of protection do they provide? Do they protect the paint as well as a carnauba wax or do they simply just look shiny for an extended period of time?

Coopers ST
03-21-2014, 12:03 PM
I am still new at this, but from what I have read and learned...

1. No, the sealant will give you the protection you need
2. Yes, many still apply a wax after the sealant. When spring finaly springs I am going to apply the Wolfgang Deepgloss Sealant 3.0, probably two coats, then a coat or two of Meguiars #26. You need to be careful though that the wax you apply on top of the sealant doesn't have any cleaners in it or it could/will remove some/all the sealant.
3a. Not sure on that, it may depend on the prep.
3b. Yes, that is why most apply the wax on top.
4. I think they give better protection than just a wax, and yes for a longer period of time. My plan at this point is...my car stays in the garage at home, but is my DD and stays outside at work. I am going to wash everyweek with a normal soap and two bucket wash. Everyother wash I am going to use a spray wax to help maintain the protection, and once a month use the Wolfgang sealant spritz stuff. Not sure if that is overkill but maybe someone will chime in on your questions, and hit on mine also :)

Klasse Act
03-21-2014, 12:07 PM
If you don't like the looks of a sealant you can apply a nuba over it, no problem. A sealant will make the paint "pop", give it a "candy look" whereas a nuba gives off a natrual look.

Your choice of JetSeal is a good one and use it if you already have it or have access to it but if not, save your money and pick up some Duragloss #111, waaaay cheaper and looks awesome! Please keep in mind that prep is key before adding a sealant.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
As others have said, wax over sealant is fine. Youre making a good choice with JetSeal 109. Its amazing and has great longevity. I like to apply in 2 thin coats.

RubbishReview
03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
So lets say that I go with the Jet Seal... Would this below be good for the prep?

Wash, using Chemical Guys Bug and Tar.

Clay, using Nanoskin foam.

Wash, using Chemical Guys Bug and Tar.

Polish and Remove Defects, using Chemical Guys V38 and if needed V36.

Eric
03-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Skip the JetSeal. The recommendation to use Duragloss #111 was a great one. It's cheaper, available locally and far superior to JetSeal in both looks and durability.

I'd pick their car wash over anything CG offers.