PDA

View Full Version : Can a waterless wash be used as a rinseless wash?

Pages : [1] 2

KMdef9
03-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Is this possible?

I've come to liking the Gary Dean Method for my maintenence washes, using my own customized version now, leaving me with leftover waterless wash that I wont use over this new mesthod. So I'd like to use it as a rinseless, seems to have the same drying properties, so can it be done?

If its of any relevance, its CG Ecowash concentrated.

FUNX650
03-20-2014, 10:59 PM
If its of any relevance, its CG Ecowash concentrated.
Isn't Ecowash a rinseless-wash?

Bob

Bates Detailing
03-20-2014, 11:02 PM
You can buy it concentrated - well worth it if you do volume...... I have used EcoWash for 4 years now, its a great product.

KMdef9
03-21-2014, 12:39 AM
Isn't Ecowash a rinseless-wash?

Bob

Ecosmart I meant.

FUNX650
03-21-2014, 12:50 AM
Ecosmart I meant.
OK...Don't want to let this product go by the wayside.
I'll suggest to initially dilute it to an approximate Ecowash rinseless ratio; and then adjust it---up or down---to your satisfaction, if need be.

Bob

Ford Fest
03-21-2014, 07:31 AM
My concern was the level of concentrate. I buy the concentrated product and mix as rinseless wash or waterless wash. Nice to have one product for two uses.

GenesisCoupe
03-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Ecosmart I meant.

The regular Ecosmart can be diluted so i do not see why a couple of ounces can be used as a rinselss, however the Ecosmart-RU is not meant to be diluted. The RU stands for ready (to) use.

With ONR being a designated Rinseless you can use 2-3 ounces per 5 gallon bucket, but with the Ecosmart i would do more to be safe.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
I think the OP has rinseless and waterless methods backwards.

I currently have EcoSmart in a gallon and use it solely for rinseless washes, considering that is its purpose. I did attempt to mix it at 1:40 (like most WW products call for) for a waterless wash and HATED it. It seemed...so...soapy. It did not wipe off easy and noticed extreme streaking. On the flip side, I LOVE it as a rinseless wash.

After getting fed up with attempting half a car at the 1:40 ratio, I ordered UWW+ and couldn't be happier. I hope this helps.

KMdef9
03-21-2014, 09:31 PM
My concern was the level of concentrate. I buy the concentrated product and mix as rinseless wash or waterless wash. Nice to have one product for two uses.

That's what I was thinking. I might call CG as see what they say.

The regular Ecosmart can be diluted so i do not see why a couple of ounces can be used as a rinselss, however the Ecosmart-RU is not meant to be diluted. The RU stands for ready (to) use.

With ONR being a designated Rinseless you can use 2-3 ounces per 5 gallon bucket, but with the Ecosmart i would do more to be safe.

I have the concentrate.

I currently have EcoSmart in a gallon and use it solely for rinseless washes, considering that is its purpose. I did attempt to mix it at 1:40 (like most WW products call for) for a waterless wash and HATED it. It seemed...so...soapy. It did not wipe off easy and noticed extreme streaking. On the flip side, I LOVE it as a rinseless wash.

After getting fed up with attempting half a car at the 1:40 ratio, I ordered UWW+ and couldn't be happier. I hope this helps.

The EcoSmart is a waterless wash. I would like to dilute it, to be used as rinseless. I just dont know if I should dilute it more or less than reccomended for the waterless wash. I'd assume a bigger dilution like you did.

Did you try a different dilution?

Real Riders
03-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Autogeek says this about Ultima Waterless Wash

"Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate is a super hyper concentrate that can be used to make the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ spray wash solution or as a no-rinse car wash formula in a bucket. Either way, Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ will meet and exceed your expectations in cleaning ability as well as slickness and gloss enhancement"

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html)

Bates Detailing
03-22-2014, 12:52 AM

1:40??? Of course you were fed up with it - I do 1:8 or if Im running low MAYBE 1:10 lol..... take a WW product and dilute it 4 times what it should and it will give you garbage results, as is with any product. So if you decide one day to dilute an interior dressing to your liking are you going to give it a bad name cause it streaked or didn't last longer than a few minutes lol?!?!??

Corey@OptimalDetailing
03-23-2014, 08:49 AM
After reading my post again, I need to correct myself, I was referring to HoseFree EcoWash, not EcoSmart. That is my apologies. This would explain the confusion.

Real Riders
03-23-2014, 01:21 PM
My friend does the opposite. He uses Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax as waterless wash. He adds a few ounces to a 32 oz bottle and sprays it on a dirty car and wipes it off. I'm not sure if this will work but he says it does

PiPUK
03-23-2014, 03:14 PM
My friend does the opposite. He uses Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax as waterless wash. He adds a few ounces to a 32 oz bottle and sprays it on a dirty car and wipes it off. I'm not sure if this will work but he says it does

For sure I can tell you that waterless washes tend to have several percent of active ingredients. By diluting a rinseless wash, you almost certainly have considerably less than this (whilst probably not obvious, the normal for a highly active product will be 30-50%, at most, 100% active is so rare as to be almost non-existent). So I certainly don't think that this is the safest approach to take, at least not unless he uses a huge amount of spray solution.

KMdef9
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM

It seems to me that, as I read descriptions of other waterless washes, they can be used as 3 different things; waterless wash, rinseless wash and a quick detailer. If I read/understood them correctly, it seems that the rinseless wash dilutes the product the most (lowest concentration), the waterless is diluted less than a rinsless (higher concentration, which makes sense to me as you would need more chemical to safely remove dirt since water isn't aiding the process) and the detailer would be the highest concentration.

I'm just unsure of where to start on guessing a proper dilution ratio for this specific product. Called CG today, couldn't give me an answer, kinda expected that. I doubt anyone would recommend to use their product a different way than intended. If I use the ratios of UWW to compare to CG, it isn't necessarily bad start, but not a solid one either.

If you hate math, skip this setion, lol. UWW = Ultimate Waterless Wash, URW = Ultimate Rinseless Wash, etc. So using UWW dilution ratio to calculate CG's dilution ratio, I did this:

UWW = 1/2 oz Ultimate concentrate to 22 oz H2O = 1:44 ratio
URW = 1 oz UWW to 3 gal H2O = 1:384 ratio
CGWW = 1 oz EcoSmart Concentrate to 8 oz H2O = 1:8 ratio
CGRW = ?

So, using some algebra I get:

URW/UWW = CGRW/CGWW

Putting in known values:

(1:384)/(1:44) = CGRW/(1:8)

Woohoo math!

[ (1/384) / (1/44) ] [ (1/8) ] = CGRW
[ (44/384) ] [ (1/8) ] = CGRW
[ (11/96) ] [ (1/8) ] = CGRW
(11/768) = 11oz EcoSmart concentrate to 768 oz H2O = CGRW

Adding 2 oz of H2O to this ratio gives us a 1:70 ratio, much simplier.

To make it even simpler, I lowered the amount of water, increasing the concentration, not only because I added 2 oz earlier, but also is the safer bet, when guessing, to use alittle more product.

1:64, so 1 oz of Ecosmart concentrate to every half gallon. That's alot more product than UWW, but it's also calculating a product dilution using a different products guide lines.

Thoughts?

Or am I putting too much thought into it, lol.