PDA

View Full Version : Thin paint.... time to quit?

Pages : [1] 2

Zingledot
03-20-2014, 01:41 PM
I've posted here a couple times...to recap, I have a 2013 black miata. The dealer destroyed my paint and then tried to fix it but didn't do a very good job. I got rid of some holograms and most issues, but I have some water spots and some more lines I wanted to get out. But I went to a shop with a PTG and it read 2.5 mils everywhere. Which is 63 microns.

Ugh. Well, am I basically stuck with finishing up with a light polish, sealing it, and calling it a day?

Thanks.

-Aaron

Rsurfer
03-20-2014, 01:48 PM
At 63 microns, you are in a danger zone. For a 1 year old car, that's pretty bad.

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Can you elaborate on how the dealership destroyed it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zingledot
03-20-2014, 02:10 PM
The entire body was swirled with the effect my friend got from using the green scrubby side of a sponge on his car. I took it back to have it fixed and they made it look much better, but said they were afraid to go any more without damaging the paint. So I don't know how far they went. After that, it had terrible holograms and lots of swirls still that I got rid of, but I wanted to get it a little better....

aim4squirrels
03-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I've posted here a couple times...to recap, I have a 2013 black miata. The dealer destroyed my paint and then tried to fix it but didn't do a very good job. I got rid of some holograms and most issues, but I have some water spots and some more lines I wanted to get out. But I went to a shop with a PTG and it read 2.5 mils everywhere. Which is 63 microns.

Ugh. Well, am I basically stuck with finishing up with a light polish, sealing it, and calling it a day?

Thanks.

-Aaron

Light polish and opti-coat it. You can't afford to lose any more paint, and the opti-coat can gain you a mil or 2 in thickness. If you can find a detailer that can apply it sprayed, even better as you'll get a thicker coat on the vehicle and it should be pretty even thickness by the accounts I've read here using that application method.

If it works up after that, you can bud out the opti-coat, not the paint, and Dr-coat it. That would be the only option with a 2013 and that thin a coat of paint.

Then start saving your pennies for a respray if you want to keep this car.

allenk4
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Sell it

GreatAvalon
03-20-2014, 03:56 PM
^right. going to be costly in a few years.

Make the dealer take the financial hit instead of you. They caused the problem, so they are responsible for it.

Zingledot
03-20-2014, 04:17 PM
^right. going to be costly in a few years.

Make the dealer take the financial hit instead of you. They caused the problem, so they are responsible for it.

I owe at least 3k more than I could get for it private party, since I bought new. Taking a 3-5k hit on my wallet probably isn't worth it. If I wanted to do that I could spend $5,000 on a baller paint job. :P

I don't know that I could do anything to find them 'responsible' for it. It was messed up, but I didn't know until after I accept delivery. Then I asked them to fix it, so they burned my paint away at my request.

ducksfan
03-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Ok, so somebody help me to understand paint better. Why can't this guy just have more clear sprayed onto his car? And if he can, what would be the disadvantage of doing that verses paying for a complete paint job?

jamesboyy
03-20-2014, 05:18 PM
63 is thin my suggestion to you is to leave it be yes for autogeeker its hard but you have to accept the facts unless you want to cause more damage then whats present

allenk4
03-20-2014, 06:25 PM
You may be relegated to using glaze and an annual light polish

aim4squirrels
03-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Ok, so somebody help me to understand paint better. Why can't this guy just have more clear sprayed onto his car? And if he can, what would be the disadvantage of doing that verses paying for a complete paint job?

Once a paint has cured, you can't add more. The new coats won't adhere correctly and you'll have one heck of an ugly mess.

Now, a body or paint shop could do it, but by the time you pay them to prep it correctly, it's going to be about the same price as a full repaint anyway. That's the big cost in paint work: all the prep that must be done before you spray.

ducksfan
03-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Once a paint has cured, you can't add more. The new coats won't adhere correctly and you'll have one heck of an ugly mess.

Now, a body or paint shop could do it, but by the time you pay them to prep it correctly, it's going to be about the same price as a full repaint anyway. That's the big cost in paint work: all the prep that must be done before you spray.

Thanks

GenesisCoupe
03-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Sounds like you could do a coating, that will add just a tiny little bit of extra protection to the surface.

BlackHawk
03-21-2014, 11:23 AM
yea if this where me id seriously consider selling the car or getting it repainted, most likely would sell the car. I cant imagine living with so little paint on the car...