PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Pages : [1] 2

mwoolfso
03-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Anyone have experience with this make/model? I am thinking of getting one for my daughter this year. Based on my research I have seen potential tire quality issues and for whatever reason they don't have Bluetooth in the model I want. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

VISITOR
03-20-2014, 05:03 PM
my nephew has the 13' Hyundai Elantra (sedan) Limited and it's a solid car thus far (love the styling). they rank at the top of it's class in it's segment. go to the dealership and test drive one...

Jaretr1
03-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Honda Civic, thats what I would recommend.

dsg03gt
03-21-2014, 12:12 PM
I love my Hyundai. I have a sonata though but its a great car.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Desertnate
03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
I've had an Elantra on several occasions as a rental car. I wasn't too impressed.

The build quality was OK for the price point, but I didn't find it very comfortable. The interior styling really didn't work for me, and I wasn't too impressed with the performance. I did really like the exterior styling. From the outside, it's an attractive car.

KB in MD
03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
I have an '11 Elantra GL (base model). Purchased it used w/34k on it. No issues thus far after 15 months & 71k and I drive it fairly hard although mostly hiway miles. I use the shiftronic in manual mode quite often and feel the stated 143hp is quite peppy on the hiway in 5th gear. I have heard other owners complain about the OEM tires (Hankook Optima 526?) tires but @71k I've had no issues and I'm just getting ready to replace mine.
I average 33-35 mpg @70mph.
I'm giving serious thought to trade in for a '14 Sport model :xyxthumbs:

MitchLiving
03-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Honda Civic, thats what I would recommend.

Sure, when they give the kind've warranty that Hyundai does :)

GenesisCoupe
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Anyone have experience with this make/model? I am thinking of getting one for my daughter this year. Based on my research I have seen potential tire quality issues and for whatever reason they don't have Bluetooth in the model I want. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent u a PM

DARK HORSE
03-21-2014, 03:57 PM
I have a 2013 Elantra GLS I bought new from Murdock Hyundai in Logan UT about a year ago (GREAT to deal with BTW)! I'm not sure why the dealer you spoke with said you can't get it with Bluetooth, mine has it. As a matter a fact, mine has Bluetooth, heated seats, sound system controls in the steering wheel (and a few other cool things). It's a GREAT little car, we like it a lot. It’s very hard to beat for $16,200.00 (what we paid). We actually bought three of them when we got ours. We got one for my mom, and one for a friend (all have been excellent vehicles). And do I even need to mention the warranty??? How can you go wrong with… https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx?cid=sem_google&k_clickid=09e72842-7af0-3da9-fb2f-000014321598 ? My wife and I commute about 60 miles per day so we use the Elantra as our commuter car (we both have weekend cars as well...:)). We average about 35 MPG. We are very happy with our purchase, so is my mom and our friend. Below is a picture of ours (it's the one on the right...:D)

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/tadndonna/004_zps8b43ad4e.jpg (http://s932.photobucket.com/user/tadndonna/media/004_zps8b43ad4e.jpg.html)

KB in MD
03-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Sure, when they give the kind've warranty that Hyundai does :)

Honda doesn't need the warranty Hyundia has. They have their past reliability in their corner :xyxthumbs:

ConeArrow27
03-22-2014, 01:48 PM
I have a 2013 Elantra GLS I bought new from Murdock Hyundai in Logan UT about a year ago (GREAT to deal with BTW)! I'm not sure why the dealer you spoke with said you can't get it with Bluetooth, mine has it. As a matter a fact, mine has Bluetooth, heated seats, sound system controls in the steering wheel (and a few other cool things). It's a GREAT little car, we like it a lot. It’s very hard to beat for $16,200.00 (what we paid). We actually bought three of them when we got ours. We got one for my mom, and one for a friend (all have been excellent vehicles). And do I even need to mention the warranty??? How can you go wrong with… https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx?cid=sem_google&k_clickid=09e72842-7af0-3da9-fb2f-000014321598 ? My wife and I commute about 60 miles per day so we use the Elantra as our commuter car (we both have weekend cars as well...:)). We average about 35 MPG. We are very happy with our purchase, so is my mom and our friend. Below is a picture of ours (it's the one on the right...:D)

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/tadndonna/004_zps8b43ad4e.jpg (http://s932.photobucket.com/user/tadndonna/media/004_zps8b43ad4e.jpg.html)

I'm looking at the one on the left........beautiful mustang!

ConeArrow27
03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm a Honda/Ford guy so my instinct says go with a Honda. But I must say Hyundai (as Kia has) has come a long way. I know lots of people that has had both and love them.

SYMAWD
03-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Honda doesn't need the warranty Hyundia has. They have their past reliability in their corner :xyxthumbs:

Hyundai must be pretty confident in their drive trains to warranty them that long.

mwoolfso
03-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I made the purchase yesterday for my daughter. Here is the rundown:

1- 2013 Hyundai GLS 4-door Sedan, 5-spd manual, Midnight Black
2- 1.8L engine, 16" allow wheels w/ HanKook tires
3- Beige interior, cloth
4- 172-watt AM/FM stereo w/CD/MP3 player and XMRadio, iPod/USB aux input jacks, speed sensitive volume control

All for $16K even. The vehicle had been on the lot for awhile and has maybe 25 miles on it. I had it's value pegged at 15.8K so I know that's a fair price. While it doesn't have everything I need I can close the gaps simple enough.

Used cars in my area (tri-state), were overpriced. I couldn't find a fair deal at all.
1. 2004 Audi A4 1.8L Turbo, fair-to-good condition, drove well but lots of cosmetic defects and a dead window. Seller wanted $9K, I offered $7K considering all of the cosmetic problems which included plastic ties holding something near a wheel well. The seller said the car was in excellent condition before I saw it but was very honest during the visual inspection.

2. 2006 Scion TC, awesome condition and had only 17K miles on it. It looked and drove like a new vehicle, the clutch was effortless compared to normally aged TC's of this vintage. The dealer (very reputable) wanted $14.6K w/ his own 2.5yr all-inclusive bumper to bumper warranty, new tires and brakes. Even with the additional value-adds I couldn't see anything more than $11K for this; he came down to $13.6K and said anything less and it would be below his purchase (and he could wholesale it for that much). Very disappointed and had to walk away from this. Note..... the vehicle is still on his lot; no surprise.

3. We looked at the 2014 Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra and Mazda3; all had positives and negatives but nothing really stood out.

The 2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus is a really good vehicle, very impressive and top of my list; which is odd because I never once imagined I would have liked a Corolla at all prior to the test drive. However, I didn't want to spend over $20K. Their LE model was around $17K basically stripped the car to that of the Hyundai with less style and flair on the outside.

So in the end I have the Elantra. For the HanKook tires I will upgrade them in the fall and be done with this. Everything I have read indicates these tires suck on ice. With a manual though I don't suspect we will run into the same problems others have. Still, to play it safe... good to upgrade for the peach of mind.

For the bluetooth I never considered this to be a weakness. For $100-$200 I can get a replacement stereo system from Crutchfield and problem solved.

Kyle_Elantra
03-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Great deal on a great car!

I bought my 2013 Elantra Limited last March for about $22k, and I love it.

In Maryland we've had a lot more snow and ice this year than usual, and I had 0 problems with the tires. This is with the automatic transmission.