PDA

View Full Version : Horror Story and Need a Professional Auto Detailer in Daytona/Ormond Beach FL Area?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Black2014Q60
03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a situation and I am hoping can be answered and maybe but in touch with the right detailer.

I have a 2014 Black Infiniti Q60 only 10 weeks old. I brought it to my local detail shop to have it clay bared, polished and waxed after owning the car for two weeks(they recommended this). A few weeks later after getting car back, my car was covered in marring, holograms and looked horrible. Brought it back to place and they fixed it, two weeks later same problem.

I went back again and showed them the marring and holograms and also all the spider web scratches I now have. They had their body shop take it to fix it and said all will be fixed. They said its a black car so the spider web scratches are normal. When i originally brought car to detailer it had very little that I could see spider web scratches.

Sunday 4 days ago, they took my car. They said they used swirl remover, then polished/waxed and all is good. Two days later I take car out of garage into sun and what do I see. Some marring still and lots of spider web scratches. My paint job looks 2 years old.

I am going to a body shop that I know people use. Can this be fixed and from what I said, what do you think needs to be done? The car detail place and body shop they had me use I feel like just put on more polish/wax to cover it up. But i know in a week or two it will be full blown back. Bad enough I see the spider web scratches all over.

I just want all the marring and spider web scratches removed as it was not their when I first brought them the car.

Please help!!

Thank you,

Mike

Skimmer0220
03-20-2014, 09:28 AM
why did you take it back so many times? they did more harm then good to many times

Black2014Q60
03-20-2014, 09:30 AM
I should have joined on here sooner and I wouldn't have. Had faith in people I shouldn't have. Learned my lesson for sure. Now just want to make sure it gets fixed and back to how it should look.

mwoolfso
03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
they did more harm then good to many times

Ya think!!!!!!

Evan.J
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
First and foremost Welcome to Autogeek!

Now onto your porblem...... Nothing new to us here.

What you ar seeing is the effect of a glaze. A glaze is used to temporarily hide and or mask defect in the paint. A glaze will last no more than a few days to a week like you are seeing. This is why the defects seem to come back.

The problem is the defects need to be removed properly with the right tools and techniques. The holograms are caused by the aggressive nature or a wool pad and the direct drive of a rotary polisher. The paint should have been gone over again with a less aggressive method like a foam polishing pad or finishing pad and a polish.

What needs to be done with the paint should be polished with a Dual action polisher like a Porter Cable, Griots Garage, Rupes, Flex 3401, or Meguiars G110v. All the machines have a dual action (Roates and oscilates) that is great for correction and creating a swirl free finish.

Using the these tools along with a good polish will remove the defects giving you the look that you want.

cleanmycorolla
03-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Start saving some cash and do this one your own, plus you'll feel supe rproud when you do it right.

You can get a portercable kit with everything you need, a few extra good towels, and some maintenance chemicals, and you'll be on your way.

chris11le
03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
It sounds more like they were just using a glaze or product(s) with fillers to hide the stuff rather than fix it.

Then after you drive it and/or wash it a few times the fillers disappear and you get to see what they didnt fix (again)

If thats the case, its not a HORRIBLE thing because it means they havent actually abraded away much (if any) of the clearcoat.

Run far far away from a dealer detailer. My car is literally getting fixed right now because my dealer didnt listen to "do not wash my car". After they paid up for it to get fixed, I told them to be 110% sure no one ever touches the paint on my car again. Its in their computers, I will be providing MANY signs inside the car, and most of all the check they wrote should remind them not to touch it again.

Im very interested to see what happens if I buy another Infiniti from them....I wonder if I could have them not even prep it ("just read my file in the computer to see why")

mwoolfso
03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a situation and I am hoping can be answered and maybe but in touch with the right detailer.

I have a 2014 Black Infiniti Q60 only 10 weeks old. I brought it to my local detail shop to have it clay bared, polished and waxed after owning the car for two weeks(they recommended this). A few weeks later after getting car back, my car was covered in marring, holograms and looked horrible. Brought it back to place and they fixed it, two weeks later same problem.

I went back again and showed them the marring and holograms and also all the spider web scratches I now have. They had their body shop take it to fix it and said all will be fixed. They said its a black car so the spider web scratches are normal. When i originally brought car to detailer it had very little that I could see spider web scratches.

Sunday 4 days ago, they took my car. They said they used swirl remover, then polished/waxed and all is good. Two days later I take car out of garage into sun and what do I see. Some marring still and lots of spider web scratches. My paint job looks 2 years old.

I am going to a body shop that I know people use. Can this be fixed and from what I said, what do you think needs to be done? The car detail place and body shop they had me use I feel like just put on more polish/wax to cover it up. But i know in a week or two it will be full blown back. Bad enough I see the spider web scratches all over.

I just want all the marring and spider web scratches removed as it was not their when I first brought them the car.

Please help!!

Thank you,

Mike

They neither have the skill nor appreciation for your needs. They are a body shop; they process cars like a McDonalds employees microwave hamburgers. The odds are good they didn't wax the vehicle at all and with no protection layer whatever fillers were in their polishes wore-off or were washed off over time; hence that is why you see all of the defects "days later".

With all of the swirls and marring on your vehicle the odds are good that this can be fixed by a detailer that cares about your needs. Make sure they take paint measurements because only god knows how much clear the body shop took off.

Alansr
03-20-2014, 09:37 AM
The reason the swirls keep coming back is because they probably didn't know how to use a rotary buffer and the oil in the wax was masking the swirls and then wore off. If you take it to another place I would have them explain to you step by step how they will do it. At least this way you can see if they are able to articulate the process.
You could also get a DA polisher yourself with a few pads and fix it yourself. Not only will this save you money in the long run but it will allow you to keep you car looking it's absolute best.

Alansr
03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
I didn't mean to sound repetitive....I guess all the other posts popped up while I was typing;)

Black2014Q60
03-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Thank you everyone for the response. I spoke with a detailer that works for a body shop that I trust and know people have used them. The detailer said these are the steps he would use to fix the problem:

Compound wool pad, compound foam pad, glaze waffle pad, swirl remover waffle pad. Then finish up with a wax. --------< does this sound like it will remove the spider web scratches and other not good stuff?

I am originally from Long Island, NY if I was their now I have plenty of people i could show car to and send me in right direction. Down here in FL, its a different story.

cleanmycorolla
03-20-2014, 09:48 AM
So he glazed, then used a fine polish and he compounded twice? YIKES. dude tell people not to go to this guy, he's just hacking stuff up.

Dude you're in Florida. There's tons of reputable Detailers there. Heck drive to Autogeek HQ one weekend.

Whatever you do don't go back to that dude. He really has no idea what he's doing.paint on your car is soft. Most Infiniti have this from what I've seen. He took like the most aggressive approach and killed it. If he did all that your paint is probably wrecked and thin.

Also just because people use him and recommend him doesn't mean he's good. It means the work he did pleased them even if it was crap work because they might not have known what a proper detail even is.

Black2014Q60
03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Maybe I should have clarified better. The person I spoke to a "new auto detailer that works at a body shop" that I know people use the guy. He recommend the following steps he would use to fix my problem:

Compound wool pad, compound foam pad, glaze waffle pad, swirl remover waffle pad. Then finish up with a wax. --------< does this sound like it will remove the spider web scratches and other not good stuff?

Justin at Final Inspection
03-20-2014, 09:52 AM
I know its a hike from where your at but I am down in Port saint lucie and could take a look at it for ya if need be some weekend. Or like stated above. Maybe Mike at Autogeek HQ could do it as a makeover in the garage there. Just throwing it out there for ya.

Evan.J
03-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Thank you everyone for the response. I spoke with a detailer that works for a body shop that I trust and know people have used them. The detailer said these are the steps he would use to fix the problem:

I am originally from Long Island, NY if I was their now I have plenty of people i could show car to and send me in right direction. Down here in FL, its a different story.
No need to get so aggressive :doh:

Most if not all of your defects can be removed by polishing with a meduim polish and a polishing pad on a dual action polisher.

Skip the glaze as it will mask any defects and you could be back to square one again with them coming back after a few days.

Holograms are not that deep that they need to be compunded out with a wool pad.

The key is to preserve as much paint as possible not cut it all away.

The holograms were put into the paint with the same wool pad and rotary method why would doing that again removed them?