PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a 2013 BMW M5 2 step paint correction

Cammyfive
03-20-2014, 05:03 AM
A good friend of mine purchased a '13 M5 in Sapphire Black Metallic last week with about 20K miles on it. The paint is in decent shape but he's looking to get it where it should have been the day it rolled out of the factory. The issues are some minor to moderate swirls and a few small scratches around the door handle. Since this is a near 6-figure car I'm erring on the side of caution and will be using a Cyclo Pro 5 and PC with foam pads as my skill level is advanced beginner/entry level intermediate. The car is not his daily driver so there is no rush to get through it in a day and I've blocked off 3 days as I plan to go superrrrrrrr slow on it (he's paying me but I"m mainly going to do it for the therapy and experience). Here is what I currently have in the arsenal:
Two buckets with grit guards
CR Spotless Water System DI-120
Wookies Fist for main body and other smaller wool wash pad for lower portions of the car
Shine Supply Shine Soap
Shine Supply Cool Guy Wheel Cleaner to be used with Wheel Woolies
Adams APC for tires
Adams Clay Bar and Detail Spray for lube
Rag Company 800gm super soft buffing towels (8)
Adams branded Cyclo Pro 5
Porter Cable 7424XP w/ 4" foam pads (orange and white)

This is what I'm thinking of adding for this detail...
Wolfgang Concours Trio (Uber Comp, Total Swirl Remover 3.0, Finish Glaze 3.0)
Cyclo Accessory Pad Kit (mix of white, green, blue, yellow, oragne foam pads)
Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish
Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating
Lake Country Coating Applicators

The above, with the current sale, would be right around $200 and free shipping. Any changes I should make to my order?

Most importantly, what can I expect from working on this paint? Any tips for this model/color?

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-20-2014, 05:19 AM
I think the Wolfgang trio will be more than adequate to clean this paint up. If I'm not mistaken, this paint is harder than jet black and should be easier to finish down. You might be able to go from uber to finishing glaze no problem. Post some before pics.

Cammyfive
03-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Will do! The car was a little dusty the other day and he asked if he should have it washed somewhere for me....HECK NO!!!!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Looks like you have a nice seutp and the new list will compliment the car nicely.

Pesonally I would leave out TSR as Uber finishes out well enough for FG to polish out propely.

Make sure to take plenty of pictures to document your worrk and share with the forum. Looking forward to seeing this one done.

Mike

The Critic
03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailers-showcase/44097-orinda-auto-detail-2014-m5-competition-pkg-opti-coat-pro.html

From what you are describing, you may not need compound at all. Start with a finishing polish and a polishing pad and see what results you get. Your goal should always be to remove as little paint as possible.

HUMP DIESEL
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Sonax 4/6. Pick the lighter polishing pad and see what you get and then if you need more, change pads. This has been my go to the past two vehicles I have detailed and I love it.

HUMP