PDA

View Full Version : Rupes LHR12E duetto pad question.

tpr1634
03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Can any pad safely be used on this polisher, I have and use lake county ccs and hex logic. I have a PC 7424XP which as we know can wear one out, I may upgrade if pads other then OEM can be used.:buffing:

custmsprty
03-19-2014, 05:10 PM
I just got one last week and I'm using all my LC Pads on it just fine.

tpr1634
03-19-2014, 05:34 PM
I just got one last week and I'm using all my LC Pads on it just fine.

Thanks, is it worth the money over a PC ?:buffing:

rancid
03-20-2014, 04:26 PM
I've been using the official Rupes ones on the LHR12E and they work great but I will switch to LC when the time comes.

custmsprty
03-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks, is it worth the money over a PC ?:buffing:

Absolutely, it's a beast, and I have the LHR15 too, this tool more than exceeded my expectations.

I did a light polish last weekend with it

WG Finishing Glaze with LC Orange Pad
PBL Surface Cleansing Lotion with LC Black Pad
PBL Diamond Paint Sealant with LC Blue Pad two coats 12 hours apart.

Here's the result:
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/32014_zps2b23876a.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/32014_zps2b23876a.jpg.html)

TundraPower
03-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Can any pad safely be used on this polisher, I have and use lake county ccs and hex logic. I have a PC 7424XP which as we know can wear one out, I may upgrade if pads other then OEM can be used.:buffing:

I've said this many times and I'll say it yet again...do not use non-Rupes pads on Rupes polishers. The velcro backing on non-Rupes pads is not strong enough for these polishers. I learned this the hard and very expensive way. Proceed at your own risk.

RawDetail
03-20-2014, 07:56 PM
I've said this many times and I'll say it yet again...do not use non-Rupes pads on Rupes polishers. The velcro backing on non-Rupes pads is not strong enough for these polishers. I learned this the hard and very expensive way. Proceed at your own risk.

You say this on pretty much every Rupes related thread and yet there are tons of people using aftermarket pads just fine and many manufactures that design their pads around the Rupes...

custmsprty
03-20-2014, 08:03 PM
You say this on pretty much every Rupes related thread and yet there are tons of people using aftermarket pads just fine and many manufactures that design their pads around the Rupes...

I agree, I've had them tear off on my Porter Cable too. When they get old or if the pad gets too hot it's my feeling that affects the adhesive bond. I wash my pads in the washing machine and have only had one pad fail on my LHR 15E in a year. And I've had two go bad on my PC.

tpr1634
03-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Interesting, that's what I was wondering.:buffing:

cardaddy
03-20-2014, 09:15 PM

I agree that Rupes has something going on with their Velcro, that's for sure! :xyxthumbs: With the Duetto though it really doesn't have the massive throw of the other two. I'd think a pad that hasn't been used a ton, and has good integrity to the Velcro should still be fine on the Duetto.

OTOH, trying to REMOVE a pad from the Duetto can literally rip the Velcro off the foam! MAN does that puppy hold on tight! :eek:

I agree, I've had them tear off on my Porter Cable too. When they get old or if the pad gets too hot it's my feeling that affects the adhesive bond. I wash my pads in the washing machine and have only had one pad fail on my LHR 15E in a year. And I've had two go bad on my PC.

Yeah, I think it's more about the pad itself than ALL non Rupes pads will fly off. I'm sure given enough use that any pad can reach the point where it stops staying attached. Then given how hard the Rupes Velcro holds on to a pad it REALLY beats it up when you try to remove it. Scares the snot outta' me when trying to remove a Hydro-Tech I can tell you that for SURE!:rolleyes:

TundraPower
03-20-2014, 09:16 PM

Yes that's correct. I've had four LC pads fly off of my 21 after the Velcro backing ripped loose. The fourth time I gouged the fender on a Porsche and paid myself to have it fixed. So how many Rupes pads can you buy for $1600?

RawDetail
03-21-2014, 03:01 AM
Yes that's correct. I've had four LC pads fly off of my 21 after the Velcro backing ripped loose. The fourth time I gouged the fender on a Porsche and paid myself to have it fixed. So how many Rupes pads can you buy for $1600?

I know, you keep saying that but l'm saying is MANY others are using them just fine. I would probably say the majority of Rupes owner don't use Rupes pads.

I'm not questioning your method as you are an amazing detailer, I'm just saying maybe you had an early batch of pads or the ones you had failed for another reason?

TundraPower
03-21-2014, 08:51 AM
I know, you keep saying that but l'm saying is MANY others are using them just fine. I would probably say the majority of Rupes owner don't use Rupes pads.

I'm not questioning your method as you are an amazing detailer, I'm just saying maybe you had an early batch of pads or the ones you had failed for another reason?

And they are more than welcome to use any pads they like. I just do not want what happened to me happen to anyone else. It very well could be a failure for another reason but I doubt it. Put an LC pad on a Rupes polisher then see how hard it is to remove. Then do the same with a Rupes pad and tell me which one is less likely to come off. ("amazing" might be a little strong, I am just an average joe that works very slowly and has been doing it for longer than I care to admit.)