PDA

View Full Version : Darn You Autogeek!!! Need help deciding

Pages : [1] 2

makdaddy626
07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
What started out at as a simple Google search to find out what products were best for taking care of my new truck has, in a just a few weeks, turned into an obsession. DARN YOU AUTOGEEK!

After trying some of the great products from AG and spending time on the forums, I'm hooked (anyone know a good therapist for addiction?).

Anyway, I think I'm left with no choice by to purchase a buffer now and am once again asking you for help in putting together the order. So...

Porter Cable or UDM?

LCC or Edge?

I have NO (zero, nada, none) experience with machine buffing. I like the idea of the quick change system of the edge pads but not if I'm sacrificing performance. Any recommendations as to what I should order? One of the many kits available, or, if you think it's better, what individual pieces?

Oh, one more question. Which polishes to get? I have a 1999 jeep in serious need of some TLC and a brand new Tacoma with only the "included at no additional charge" dealer imperfections. Which works better, a system like the XMT series where you pick the level of abraviseness or something like the Wolfgang swirl remover that seems like a "one-size-fits-all" pad dependant polish?

Thanks in advance.

supercharged
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
UDM, only UDM. I also strongly recommend Edge 2000 kit, as I'm not a big fan of backing plate.

makdaddy626
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Supercharged, what about pad selection? I don't see a UDM/edge kit, any advice on the types of pads I should get for a "starter" kit?

makdaddy626
07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Also, just noticed while looking at the UDM, it says it won't work with the Edge DA adapter? Which would you give up, the UDM or the Edge system?

supercharged
07-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Detailing Machine™ Dual Action Orbital Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/udm-ultimate-detailing-machine.html)

this starter kit - The Edge Dual Action Starter Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/edge-dual-action-starter-kit.html)
or this kit - The Edge Dual Action 6 Inch Kit includes The Edge 2000 DuraFoam Pads & a dual action Edge Adapter. edge foam pads, double side pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-polishing-kit.html)

Meghan
07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
What started out at as a simple Google search to find out what products were best for taking care of my new truck has, in a just a few weeks, turned into an obsession. DARN YOU AUTOGEEK!

After trying some of the great products from AG and spending time on the forums, I'm hooked (anyone know a good therapist for addiction?).

I will be your therapist!;)

makdaddy626
07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I will be your therapist!;)

I'm guessing you'll be willing to stick with it no matter how long it takes, even if I'm NEVER cured. Right?

trlblazer3
07-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the addiction my friend, it will only get worse with time!

Go with the UDM for sure, you'll love it, and the learning curve is the same as the PC IMO. As far as pads go, its really a matter of personal preference. If you like the double-sided/quick change of the Edge system then I would grab their kit, as there have been members that have used the UDM w/Edge's pads without a problem. I've only experienced the LC pads and love them, and have never had any issues with the system.

Jimmie
07-13-2007, 10:09 AM
You're lucky that you got a therapist when you did. lol. Your therapist can really help you in Dec. when your credit cards have flames shooting off them. :)

D
07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Id go with LC pads and 7424.

makdaddy626
07-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Dan,
Care to explain why? I was leaning towards the 7424 myself, only because I've used Porter Cable power tools all my life and KNOW the quality and dependability.

Why the LC pads over the 7424? Care to offer suggestions on a kit or pad selection? Polishes?

P1et
07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I have the Porter Cable 7424 with the LC pads and it's a fantastic combo. Get a little bit of Menzerna and you cannot go wrong.

I haven't used the UDM yet, but I don't see anything wrong whatsoever with buying from a company that is known for making high quality power tools. Just my 2 cents.

FMINUS
07-13-2007, 05:53 PM
UDM
Edge
Menzerna

P1et
07-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I actually purchased the Poorboys PC kit after Killr recommended it and I am still polishing cars and trucks with it even though I now also have Menzerna is my collection.

If you use too much of it, it can tend to dust, but there hasn't been a single awful paintjob that SSR2.5 and then SSR1 couldn't take care of.

VF-x
08-05-2007, 08:46 PM
makdaddy,

You are not alone!

I think someone should start a support group for those of us with detailing OCD.

FYI... I got the UDM as my first orbital polisher, and I love it! Its easy to use, and is very quick to break down polishes. I use the velcro backing plate without any problems.