PDA

View Full Version : taping off trim (chrome/plastic)

Photecs
03-19-2014, 03:08 PM
When doing a correction using the wolfgang SR 3.0, how much if it really nessesary to tape off your chrome/plastic trim?
All the videos show everyone working on the hood... but when working on door panels etc... is it really a must-do step?

Also... is it required if just doing a polish with a white pad/glaze?

Rsurfer
03-19-2014, 03:12 PM
When doing a correction using the wolfgang SR 3.0, how much if it really nessesary to tape off your chrome/plastic trim?
All the videos show everyone working on the hood... but when working on door panels etc... is it really a must-do step?

Also... is it required if just doing a polish with a white pad/glaze?

If using a compound, I would tape up. Using a glaze, no, unless it stains trim.

jamesboyy
03-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Taping off trim, and certain parts of the vehicle in my option is a must cause it protect, and makes clean up easier also you don't have white chalkiness stuck in hard to clean/reach places

inDetail
03-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Tape off when your using a machine. It can save you trim damage as well as damage to your pads. The only time I don't tape off is if I'm doing an AIO and major corrections are not a primary goal. I do around the trim and badges by hand.
It takes time to tape but less time then it would take to fix any mistakes.

BobbyG
03-19-2014, 05:10 PM
I tape off all plastic and rubber trim to avoid staining and damage. Compounds, polishes, all-in-ones, paint cleaners etc will stain plastic trim. Once these products find their way into the pores it's a time consuming and pains taking task to remove it....

Larger areas use a sheet or painters plastic....