PDA

View Full Version : First Pad Purchase...

Photecs
03-19-2014, 07:13 AM
So i'm about to place my first order after 6 weeks of reading and research.
The one area I'm still a little stuck on is pads.

I have a black "lightly swirled" CUV, so I'm pretty sold on a set of orange and white pads (used with the Wolfgang SR twins)... and then I think red to apply waxes.

With that said... what is the difference in the LC Flat pads VS. LC CCS pads VS. Hex Logic (which i've heard good things about as well).

Then my other question is that I know i'll need about 6 pads of each colour for correcting, but is the same to be said about the red pad for apply waxes (i'm thinking DP max wax & 845 are my picks). Would 2 red pads be enough to apply a wax... I can't see needed more then that of the red pad... right?

Keep in mind, new to the detailing world, 1 yr old black CUV, using a PC 7424xp.

Status
03-19-2014, 07:30 AM
No black pads?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Photecs
03-19-2014, 08:12 AM
No black pads?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Black instead of red? Or... black for what purpose...?

KMG
03-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I don't even own any red pads. I have a bunch of orange, white, black and a few blue pads. I have a mix of CCS and flat pads also.

Photecs
03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
So what pad are you guys using for applying waxes/sealants? Black?
Also, what is the difference/advantage of the flat vs. ccs pads?

RubbishReview
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
So i'm about to place my first order after 6 weeks of reading and research.
The one area I'm still a little stuck on is pads.

I have a black "lightly swirled" CUV, so I'm pretty sold on a set of orange and white pads (used with the Wolfgang SR twins)... and then I think red to apply waxes.

With that said... what is the difference in the LC Flat pads VS. LC CCS pads VS. Hex Logic (which i've heard good things about as well).

Then my other question is that I know i'll need about 6 pads of each colour for correcting, but is the same to be said about the red pad for apply waxes (i'm thinking DP max wax & 845 are my picks). Would 2 red pads be enough to apply a wax... I can't see needed more then that of the red pad... right?

Keep in mind, new to the detailing world, 1 yr old black CUV, using a PC 7424xp.

I am also looking to purchase my first DA Polisher along with the needed pads. One thing that got my attention here is the need for 6 pads of each color, is this number of pads really needed? I thought these pads were pretty durable and reusable? From what I had been reading that one pad (hex logic is what I have been looking at) should be good to do a whole car that you may get some build up but that can be removed using an air compressor... Is my understanding wrong?

Legacykid
03-19-2014, 10:44 AM
I am also looking to purchase my first DA Polisher along with the needed pads. One thing that got my attention here is the need for 6 pads of each color, is this number of pads really needed? I thought these pads were pretty durable and reusable? From what I had been reading that one pad (hex logic is what I have been looking at) should be good to do a whole car that you may get some build up but that can be removed using an air compressor... Is my understanding wrong?

Every section, you will need to clean your pad (on the fly, a towel or brush) and every panel depending on size, you will need to use a fresh pad. You could if you had the time clean said pad and throw it infront of a fan for 5-10 mins until almost dry. Then simply reapply polish to prime pad and continue. but that will take you forever. Last year I only had 2 pads of orange, white and red. and this is what I did, but it takes wayy to much time. More pads just make things go smoother.

You also have to worry about heat. once your pad gets to hot it will effect its ability and the polish's ability to do its job. Not to mention you are then adding more heat to your paint as well. So having a few pads limits this from happening.

Tato
03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Looks like you got good answers already,

I can add some cents, hope it helps,

The more pads you have, the better / faster you will work. However, you can start with 1 or 2 of each color (2 preferred to start). Odds of owning just a few is that you'll have to 'waste' more time cleaning it and after it becomes caked with polish, performance may be diminished.

If you have lots of pads, you clean on the fly until starting to cake, then you just change to a new one and keep moving.

I like to apply wax and sealants with any finishing pad, be it Gray/black, red or even the gold one (my favorite for carnauba waxes).

For waxing an entire car, 1 pad is more than enough, because you don't abuse finishing pads when applying wax. Also, if it becomes caked, it's caked with the LSP you're using so you can spread further and use the most of your product. I mean, (at least me), no need to switch pads while waxing (only if it for a small one to fit spots).

Me / Myself / I like to have one red / gold or even gray / black pad for every LSP product I have, I mean, I have one for Souveran, one for Deep Gloss Sealant, one for Meg's waxes, and so on. For sure I clean my pads well, but I don't like to mix LSP pads, but like I've said, that's just Me / Mys...

However, when I'm using a finishing polish, I prefer gray/black finishing pads instead of red or gold pad, but they may be used for sure.

If I were you, I would consider that nowadays we have many pads like Hydro-techs or the Microfiber discs which are a great addition to a PC-style machine.

In my opinion, cut and finish of hydro-tech Cyan cutting pad is much better than with a CCS or flat orange cutting pad, but CCS and flats lasts much more than Hydro-techs. Indeed, you'll probably have to follow an orange pad with a lighter pad (white or gray/black) to improve finish, while with Hydro-tech you generally finishes LSP ready (very dependable on product and technique, for sure).

Microfiber, by it's way, cuts much much more, but generally finishes in a haze that have to be followed. You'll benefit from MF cutting discs if you're dealing with hard paint and a Porter Cable.

You can cut with MF and finish with foam...

You can never have enough pads.

Photecs
03-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Looks like you got good answers already,

I can add some cents, hope it helps,

The more pads you have, the better / faster you will work. However, you can start with 1 or 2 of each color (2 preferred to start). Odds of owning just a few is that you'll have to 'waste' more time cleaning it and after it becomes caked with polish, performance may be diminished.

If you have lots of pads, you clean on the fly until starting to cake, then you just change to a new one and keep moving.

I like to apply wax and sealants with any finishing pad, be it Gray/black, red or even the gold one (my favorite for carnauba waxes).

For waxing an entire car, 1 pad is more than enough, because you don't abuse finishing pads when applying wax. Also, if it becomes caked, it's caked with the LSP you're using so you can spread further and use the most of your product. I mean, (at least me), no need to switch pads while waxing (only if it for a small one to fit spots).

Me / Myself / I like to have one red / gold or even gray / black pad for every LSP product I have, I mean, I have one for Souveran, one for Deep Gloss Sealant, one for Meg's waxes, and so on. For sure I clean my pads well, but I don't like to mix LSP pads, but like I've said, that's just Me / Mys...

However, when I'm using a finishing polish, I prefer gray/black finishing pads instead of red or gold pad, but they may be used for sure.

If I were you, I would consider that nowadays we have many pads like Hydro-techs or the Microfiber discs which are a great addition to a PC-style machine.

In my opinion, cut and finish of hydro-tech Cyan cutting pad is much better than with a CCS or flat orange cutting pad, but CCS and flats lasts much more than Hydro-techs. Indeed, you'll probably have to follow an orange pad with a lighter pad (white or gray/black) to improve finish, while with Hydro-tech you generally finishes LSP ready (very dependable on product and technique, for sure).

Microfiber, by it's way, cuts much much more, but generally finishes in a haze that have to be followed. You'll benefit from MF cutting discs if you're dealing with hard paint and a Porter Cable.

You can cut with MF and finish with foam...

You can never have enough pads.

What a great figgin' answer!
I was with the other poster who stated "thought I only needed 2 pads" a couple weeks ago, but you're right, having 1-2 and having to stop/wash/dry/start again... it's bad enough that i'll be spending hours on end doing a correction/polish/wax to begin with.
The nice thing is, once the correction is done - I don't plan on doing much more for the next two years until it might need it again... just keep on the protection.

Really, it comes down to what pads are best for each job. As i said earlier, I'm pretty sold on the orange/white pads... didn't really know what is best for applying wax quickly... thought red as it's stated to not suck up much product, and is soft, but if black/blue or red are all good... so be it.

So now... what's left to decide is - the Hex Logic (which I was leaning towards), the CCS or Flats by LC?
Are there advantages to any of these to make me pull the trigger on it vs. another?

Status
03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
So now... what's left to decide is - the Hex Logic (which I was leaning towards), the CCS or Flats by LC?
Are there advantages to any of these to make me pull the trigger on it vs. another?

Its a personal preference and since you are starting out I would get flats because they are cheaper therefore you can invest in more pads. Hex has a solid consensus and that people love them. Or get both and see for yourself. As for myself, I prefer flats over CCS and hex over both.