PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cleaning these rims?

fivestar_dc
03-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Hello all,

First post here, long time lurker, first time poster :)

Got a job coming up this Saturday. Friend's FIL wants his Chevy done, and he's concerned about the rims. Wants them cleaned up really good. Thoughts on getting these cleaned? He says they're chrome, but I don't know...I've never seen this vehicle in person. 0000 steel wool? Acid? Please let me know a good way to get these clean. Thanks!

:props:

Matt@FourAcesMD
03-18-2014, 09:33 PM
We can't see the pic.

fivestar_dc
03-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Fixed :)

Matt@FourAcesMD
03-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Doesn't really look like chrome.

fivestar_dc
03-18-2014, 09:40 PM
That's what I thought too...I've never seen these rims in person though. Would I be OK using an acid?

MarkD51
03-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Usually, these strong acidic wheel cleaners do more harm than good on such wheels.

Iron-X, yeah, then just clean with an APC, and Car Shampoo. Whatever other damage is there, like peeled, and gone clear coating, there's nothing under the sun that will somehow magically rejuvenate such damage.

At that point, the wheel would need a total resto, meaning stripping all clear coat finish, repolishing, and re-coating.

For what some new aftermarket wheels cost today, one might be better tossing such in the trash.

jamesboyy
03-18-2014, 09:49 PM
If it was me I would use a product like iron-x or sonax full effect then for the more stubborn parts I would use acid maybe but whatever don't come off just leave it, and have the wheels refinished its better safe than sorry

SYMAWD
03-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Start with an iron removing product such as Iron X, Sonax Full Effect, or any of the many others. If that doesn't work, what is left is likely grease or tar which can be removed with something like TarX or clay.

MarkD51
03-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Steel wool would be another no no on a coated wheel. It would be the same like taking steel wool to a paintjob.

You probably don't have Iron-X on hand, don't worry about it. Just clean them up best you can with some regular All Purpose Cleaner (APC), let dwell a few minutes, take a soft bristle brush, and gently scrub, rinse, and re-apply an APC again if needed.

This vehicle most likely is not some Ferarri 458 Italia, but the general idea is, do the least amount of harm as possible, the goal is don't make them worse, and do some harm that the owner will have regrets letting you touch them.

The wheels you've shown, look to be well past their prime IMO. Don't sweat it.

rolop6
03-18-2014, 11:10 PM
Pour just a tad bit of petrol on them and use some sort of igniter. They will be good as new!

dcjredline
03-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Chevy what?

They are NOT chrome.

My plan of attack on those would be Brown Royal and some APC... here is an 07 Silverado I did late last year for someone, the finish is similar to what you have there I bet.

No polishing what so ever on these just cleaned and dried.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1546/medium/Wheels2.jpg

hernandez.art13
03-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Here is some different advice. Why not call Meguiar's and ask them if you can email them pictures and send them a couple of pictures to see what they suggest for your rims/wheels. You can always go OTC (over the counter) with Meguiar's. That's what I did with their hot wheel and tire cleaner. It worked so great that I just had to buy it in bulk so I bought D143.

My guess is this for OTC

Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, cleaner for factory wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-all-wheel-tire-cleaner.html)

and bulk would be,
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-non-acid-wheel-and-tire-cleaner-d-14301.html

but like I said above, it can't hurt to call and ask.

then when the bug bites you =D You can buy in bulk with Autogeek.

Good Luck,

Art

CowboyTruckn
03-19-2014, 01:43 AM
Pour just a tad bit of petrol on them and use some sort of igniter. They will be good as new!

Petrol? Oil?

Methodical
03-19-2014, 02:20 AM
Purple Power cleaner/degreaser. Cheap and you should be able to get it locally in 1 and 2.5 gallons for around $8-15. No need to get some expensive/fancy cleaner in some small bottle. You will have plenty left for other work, too. Keep it simple.

fivestar_dc
03-20-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys!