PDA

View Full Version : Fuzion on top of PBL Sealant?

Centexhokie
03-18-2014, 07:15 AM
I may just be messing at this point, but I decided to get some Wolfgang Fuzion to see how it looks on top of my car. The car has PBL Coating topped with PBL Sealant. It may or may not make any difference in the look, but I decided to try it.

The question has to do with something Todd Helme said in his presentation on Saturday. He said, "You kinda want to avoid applying waxes to coated surfaces". He went on to say the reasons were that it may not stick to the coating and just fall off the paint, but he went on to say that wax would stick to PBL so I know that is not a reason to not try this. He then went on to say that the water shedding abilities of the coatings was better than the wax so you are preventing the coating from performing. Here in Texas rain is infrequent so that may not be reason enough to eliminate it either.

My question is whether anyone is using Fuzion on top of PBL and if so what has been your experience?

Thanks.

FUNX650
03-18-2014, 07:27 AM
From your "layering-description":
It appears, to me, that you would be applying Fuzion to PBL Sealant, not the PBL Coating.

In this scenario...
You will have avoided <<<(Todd Helme) applying/layering a Wax immediately atop a Coating.

One widely accepted practice is, however:
Applying/layering a Wax atop a Sealant.
Try it...You may like it!

Bob

Centexhokie
03-18-2014, 07:29 AM
From your "layering-description":
It appears, to me, that you would be applying Fuzion to PBL Sealant, not the PBL Coating.

In this scenario...
You will have avoided applying/layering a Wax immediately atop a Coating.

Bob

I would agree with your assessment. The question would be is there any downside other than the time and the potential for water shedding to be worse with the Fuzion than the sealant?

FUNX650
03-18-2014, 07:48 AM
I would agree with your assessment. The question would be is there any downside other than the time and the potential for water shedding to be worse with the Fuzion than the sealant?
Wouldn't a Sealant hold up a little better than Wax in your environment?

Besides from washing the vehicle, isn't potential water-spotting (from rain events) basically a moot point?

Bob

Centexhokie
03-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Wouldn't a Sealant hold up a little better than Wax in your environment?

Besides from washing the vehicle, isn't potential water-spotting (from rain events) basically a moot point?

Bob

As far as holding up, the sealant is already on the car so the wax should either be sacrificial before the sealant or do nothing as I understand.

We do get rain events and the sides of the car with Collinite 845 that I had on before water spotted on the sides near the wheel wells so I thought about just applying the Fuzion to the hood, roof sides (the middle is glass), and the trunk. I am going to apply it to half the hood first to see if it looks any different. I would like the sides to shed water if possible.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/P3080046.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/72647)

FUNX650
03-18-2014, 08:12 AM
I thought about just applying the Fuzion to the hood, roof sides (the middle is glass), and the trunk.
I am going to apply it to half the hood first to see if it looks any different.
I would like the sides to shed water if possible.
Let us know how it all works out for you.
Thanks.

Bob

Centexhokie
03-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Let us know how it all works out for you.
Thanks.

Bob

I will. I'll take some shots of the hood with half of it done in Fuzion and the other half not to see if it makes any difference in the look. If it does and I like it, I will give some feedback on whether good, bad, or just a waste of time.

Centexhokie
03-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Well I did the hood this morning. I was going to take a picture, but it really didn't show any difference so I just did the other side of the hood. I then ran an errand and there was a little fog. I've never seen little tiny beads of water move that fast off a hood, but otherwise probably just messin' to add the Fuzion. Oh well we try stuff and some doesn't do much.

Mike Phillips
03-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Sometimes you hit the wall....

By this I mean, it's possible when using good products and good technique to get the paint to look so good that you cannot do anything else to improve it.

I think you've hit the wall....

:D

Mike Phillips
03-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Also see what I wrote in post #13 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/Mike Phillips-- How to Properly Use the Rotary Buffer)in this thread...

Have to remember the key search word....

cyber-dug

swanicyouth
03-24-2014, 07:48 AM

By this I mean, it's possible when using good products and good technique to get the paint to look so good that you cannot do anything else to improve it.

Ha! Love it. Never thought of it that way. I've hit the wall as well.

Centexhokie
03-24-2014, 08:11 AM

Yes, now it's up to technique to get better.

Also see what I wrote in post #13 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/Mike Phillips-- How to Properly Use the Rotary Buffer)in this thread...

cyber-dug

Thanks, the link points to the general forum page and not a thread.

Centexhokie
03-24-2014, 08:35 AM

cyber-dug

I found the thread. It will be interesting to see whether I like the characteristics of the Fuzion on the hood versus the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Sealant on the rest of the car. I do the gentle wash already so I should see the characteristics of each without them being topped by something else.