PDA

View Full Version : Shampooing carpet

BrianMcLeod
03-17-2014, 10:55 PM
I have seen some people talk about shampooing there carpets and how they get bad stains out I was wonder how they do it? 25832

Matt@FourAcesMD
03-17-2014, 11:25 PM
I have seen some people talk about shampooing there carpets and how they get bad stains out I was wonder how they do it? 25832

Hot water extractor.

thebamboo23
03-17-2014, 11:36 PM
many ways to clean a stain depending on the type of stain

Pureshine
03-17-2014, 11:37 PM
If its just a stain I use steam and Folex. Unless its something like coffee or milk that needs to be extracted out or sometimes both.

PiPUK
03-18-2014, 03:43 AM
The key is to either use the right machine or the right product (or both). You see many people (detailers included) recommending the use of non-specific cleaning products and they will perform fine. Just don't expect them to stay that way for very long - the incorrect cleaning product on soft fabrics will not only leave no protection, it will dramatically accelerate the rate of re-soiling.

Evan.J
03-18-2014, 04:01 AM
The key with stains PiPuk said is choosing the right product for the stain so that when cleaning the stain you do not end up setting the stain and make it very difficult to remove.

If you have not watch the video from detail Fest about interior stains and removal by Jason Rose from day one. He goes into great depth and some chemistry about stain removal and what products to choose. It was an excellent class and will give you much better results when doing carpets.

mgmoore7
03-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Just worked this from this past weekend. I had some really bad spots that have been neglected over time. The recent and light spots came up easily. The tough ones that are aged, were much better but I could not get them perfect. I am happy overall because to be quite honest, I have neglected the carpet and did not clean up the spots as they occurred. I had one large spot were drinks has spilled multiple times and never did more than soak up with a paper towel....

Put a couple pictures of the worst spot. Embarrassing actually.

Tools
-small shop vac
-Chemical Guys (ACC_201_BRUSH_MD) Yellow Medium Duty All Surface/Purpose Carpet Brush with Drill Attachment
Chemical Guys (ACC_201_BRUSH_MD) Yellow Medium Duty All Surface/Purpose Carpet Brush with Drill Attachment : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TU662Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
-Cordless Drill
-Small bristle brush
-MOTHERS 05424 Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner - 24 oz
Amazon.com: MOTHERS 05424 Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner - 24 oz: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E9QF06/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Process
1. spray down with cleaner, let sit just a bit
2. scrub in a bit with small brush to get some foaming action
3. scrub with brush on drill, alternating directions
4. wipe up foam
5. spray down with water
6. suck residue, soap and water with vacuum
7. repeat if nessesary

Evan.J
03-18-2014, 07:04 AM
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HweQSpYdhRs&list=UU5x3E51Y0-SA9CWVICtNIeQ]Jason 2 - YouTube[/video]

ThomasonCarCare
03-18-2014, 08:17 AM
If its just a stain I use steam and Folex. Unless its something like coffee or milk that needs to be extracted out or sometimes both.

I always use a hot water extractor first then steam with either Lightning Fast stain remover from Chemical Guys or Folex (sometimes both). Lightning Fast Can be extracted, Folex is supposed to just sit and allowed to dry.

BrianMcLeod
03-18-2014, 12:41 PM

How much is a how water extractor can you do it by steam?

ThomasonCarCare
03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
How much is a how water extractor can you do it by steam?

The price depends on what brand and quality you want. I have a Durrmaid 1600 and I paid around $600 for mine. When this one goes out, I want to pick up a Mytee though. Usually if the stain isn't too bad steam will take it out just fine, but if the stain was caused by liquid like coke, coffee, etc... it really needs to be extracted.

Honestly, it might be cheaper on you to get a forum member close to you that has one to clean it for you unless you want to have one for personal or professional use.

PRicci09
03-18-2014, 01:02 PM
I find that an extractor is great for maintenance cleaning of typical dirt in large areas.

However, in my experience the steamer works better for removing very stubborn stains.

How

BrianMcLeod
03-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone I got the answer I needed! Thanks !!!

Pureshine
03-20-2014, 12:24 AM
I always use a hot water extractor first then steam with either Lightning Fast stain remover from Chemical Guys or Folex (sometimes both). Lightning Fast Can be extracted, Folex is supposed to just sit and allowed to dry.

No Folex is not just sit and dry. You still need to scrub with a brush and with steam breaks down the stain even more. I do use an extractor when the carpet is bad.

ThomasonCarCare
03-20-2014, 09:18 AM
No Folex is not just sit and dry. You still need to scrub with a brush and with steam breaks down the stain even more. I do use an extractor when the carpet is bad.

You are correct and I also use steam or an extractor after Folex, if needed, but I use Folex as indicated by the instructions on the bottle. First I spray the spot, let dwell, agitate, and then blot dry. If that doesn't work I progress to more aggressive methods.

I was just saying that if used by the instructions it is doesn't require steam or an extractor and anyone with a brush and a piece of cloth or a napkin can use it.