PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel exhaust tips

FRSstyle
03-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Before I install my tips, I want to protect them the best I can.

I've got Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Carpro Dlux. What should I use to protect the tips?

swanicyouth
03-17-2014, 11:00 PM
I used OC. It seems to be holding up well on the outside. I did the inside as well, but the inside gets dirty so fast it's hard to tell if it's still there. I don't think any sealant would last too long there. DLux hold up very well on painted metal, but I've never used it on chrome. Dunno if it matters or not if the metal is chromed or painted.

FRSstyle
03-17-2014, 11:07 PM
I'd rather not buy new stuff for just the exhaust tips, but I'm mainly concerned with tarnishing the tips or making it look worse with the cquart dlux.

57BORNTORUN
03-17-2014, 11:13 PM
If they are going to be welded they have to be clean (Meaning he will scuff and strip for good penetration).He will Tig weld them so you just keep-um clean.Have not seen or tried any products that last for more than a couple of miles on the tips.

swanicyouth
03-17-2014, 11:14 PM
I don't think DLux would tarnish the tips or make them look worse in any way. However, my experience with it is that it can be a little tricky to get a 100% perfect application on smooth metals, as it occasionally may want to leave some application lines behind. It doesn't seem to "flash" on metal ( for me ) like OC.

However, I'm sure if you take your time you will get very good results with DLux.

I'm guessing these are bolt on tips? If they are welded I would wait until they are installed to coat them.

FUNX650
03-17-2014, 11:19 PM
I'd rather not buy new stuff for just the exhaust tips,
but I'm mainly concerned with tarnishing the tips
That's too bad...
I know just the product(s) for your SS exhaust tips.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/B-n-B.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65889)

Bob

GreatAvalon
03-17-2014, 11:26 PM
^What are they Bob? I have stainless steel fenders on my boat trailer that I need to clean up.

valleyrider
03-17-2014, 11:56 PM
That's too bad...
I know just the product(s) for your SS exhaust tips.

Bob

So Bob, what can I use on my tips to keep them looking like the tip on the right and not like the tip on the left?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/600/0fdq.jpg

FRSstyle
03-18-2014, 12:02 AM
They are not going to be welded on. They will be bolted on.

I could use Wolfgang Paint Sealant. Just means I'll coat them each time I coat the paint.

jamesboyy
03-18-2014, 01:25 AM
I would just apply the wolfgang sealant now then if you later down the road put a paint coating on them

Desertnate
03-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Will any sealant or coating hold up to the heat?

I've never bothered to coat my exhaust because I felt any product would fail under extream conditions and be a waste of time. My approach has always been to just clean it each time I wash the car.

KillaCam
03-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Isn't cquartz resistant up to like 500 degrees?

FUNX650
03-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Will any sealant or coating hold up to the heat?

Isn't cquartz resistant up to like 500 degrees?
Because of PPG's recent acquisition, they now have access to a newly designed:
thin-film coating-system..that'll withstand up to 1000 degrees F.

Can't wait for it to come to market.

Bob