PDA

View Full Version : any one had a successful direct mail campaign

Pages : [1] 2

mrclean
03-17-2014, 06:39 PM
over the weekend i saw joe's sunday class about how he became successful. towards the end he mentioned doing a direct mail campaign.. he mentions how he got a list for high income households and targeted them. that got me thinking.. hey, maybe i should try that. so i was researching direct mail today and it seems like a good idea. usps website has a "every-door-direct-mail" service.. the program is really simple to use, and it does exactly what joe was saying.. you can target homes with high income, within your area, and it also filters the age.. for example.. i found this one route that im reaaally intrested because i know this area is full of high income and luxury houses.. and the route has about 300 houses or so, and the rate was about $55 to deliver my postcard to those houses. im really tempted in doing this and i want to start designing my postcard. question is, have any of you guys done this? what was your postcard design like? any tips? thanks in advance:xyxthumbs:

thebamboo23
03-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Cosmin also did this strategy (look up his thread) and he said it worked out for him in the long run. He didn't get many hits immediately, and even after time it was only a handful.. but i think he said they were good accounts

One thing ill make sure to do is not put em in envelopes. High quality image/paper with straight forward message

rolop6
03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
I've looked at doin this but never have. There are companies that will do everything for you, design and mail it. You just cut them a check.

mrclean
03-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Cosmin also did this strategy (look up his thread) and he said it worked out for him in the long run. He didn't get many hits immediately, and even after time it was only a handful.. but i think he said they were good accounts

One thing ill make sure to do is not put em in envelopes. High quality image/paper with straight forward message

Yea, i wasnt thinking on putting it in envelopes..i have someone that can print me out 4x6 postcards..1k for $80.. but i was thinking of doing them a bit bigger so they wont get lost or overlooked in the pile of mail.. any idea on what his thread was called? And yes, ive also read that i shouldnt get dissapointed if the first batch dont work..regardless, all of the adresses will be towards high income households..

I've looked at doin this but never have. There are companies that will do everything for you, design and mail it. You just cut them a check.

Yup, ive seen them...but im lucky to have a fiance that can do the design for me..ill just have to invest on the printing and the mailing with usps. Ill keep u guys updated as always

Pureshine
03-17-2014, 10:56 PM
The best advertisement is word of mouth and good reviews. All my new customers that are not from word of mouth say they went with me cause of my good reviews.

Chicago Tommy
03-18-2014, 02:51 AM
Mailers have always been a loser. Granted, those mailers weren't for auto details, but I'm pretty sure a Pizzaria would generate more business given the medium and providing a coupon. After 6 months, we had received 24 coupons, out of 5k mailed.

A good friend of mine owns a roofing/siding company. Same outcome, nearly no reply off the mailers. Doorhangers and flyers also netted nothing. His biggest revenue generator is contractor review sites. Seems logical to me that that would apply in this instance.

Xzavier247
03-18-2014, 03:03 AM
The biggest mistake in the EDDM marketing is not creating a demand. Sure you can have a cool design but usually Ill look at some really interesting cards but I end up tossing it to the side. But if it sparks interest you need to create an immediate demand. Such as coupons that have an expiration date or paired with a free gift. You can partner up but that will help at a medium.

STPETEDALE
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
I like the EDDM and it has worked for me. If I do work in a certain neighborhood I think has potential I'll pick that route. The only thing about putting expiration dates is you have to use them all at once. I had 5k printed to the EDDM specifications and send them out as needed. If the pollen season, love bugs are bad I send out more often. I wouldn't overlook the business routes if you're looking for office set ups.

Xzavier247
03-19-2014, 11:37 AM
I like the EDDM and it has worked for me. If I do work in a certain neighborhood I think has potential I'll pick that route. The only thing about putting expiration dates is you have to use them all at once. I had 5k printed to the EDDM specifications and send them out as needed. If the pollen season, love bugs are bad I send out more often. I wouldn't overlook the business routes if you're looking for office set ups.

You have to make a strategy for EDDM. Thats just a fact that you will get a higher return % on having a expiration date. It could be 3 months from the date. But common sense.

STPETEDALE
03-19-2014, 12:38 PM
You don't need an expiration date. I've had better then average responses based on my marketing plan. What does common sense have to do with anything. There's more then one way to get a point across. A simple phrase such as "Book now to save 10%" list goes on and on.You can simply put expires in 30 days. Point being don't put a fixed expiration date.I simply was stating for me I didn't use an expiration date and it worked for me . It's way cheaper to order 5k EDDM then to do 1k here and there. You get a higher % return by having the right layout, correct wording and offering a service package they are looking for.

GenesisCoupe
03-19-2014, 12:41 PM
I've heard good and bad things about it. Some said they mailed out 300 copies and only got 2 jobs out of it. Depending on the area that you send it out too. Those that can afford it will get something done.

Xzavier247
03-19-2014, 01:13 PM
You don't need an expiration date. I've had better then average responses based on my marketing plan. What does common sense have to do with anything. There's more then one way to get a point across. A simple phrase such as "Book now to save 10%" list goes on and on.You can simply put expires in 30 days. Point being don't put a fixed expiration date.I simply was stating for me I didn't use an expiration date and it worked for me . It's way cheaper to order 5k EDDM then to do 1k here and there. You get a higher % return by having the right layout, correct wording and offering a service package they are looking for.

I am not trying to start an argument. But as en entrepreneur you want as many ideas as you need and want. But by saying this doesn't work simply states that you are a closed minded and don't care for any advice. I have a bunch of mentors that hmm are millionaires btw and they tell me a whole bunch of marketing techniques. Who do you go through EDDM any way? Thats the question. Its fairly cheap for me and also my marketing budget will allow the "here and there" statement.
IMO EDDM and "door hangers" will always have a low return rate. But by simply "wording" like you said will help a little.... By saying common sense, Meaning don't put the expiration date to close on to when you are sending it out. Please do not put down other's ideas. Every idea is a great one if executed right.:dblthumb2:

STPETEDALE
03-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm simply stating a fixed date such as expires on 4/30/14 would limit the usefulness of your EDDM throughout the year. For myself I choose routes that may have 100-500 households even less. I'm not trying to start an argument or be rude. I never said something didn't work or wouldn't work??I would never put down any fourm members Ideas either.I think you have misinterpreted my statement and took it totally out of context. I don't really care if a mentor is a millionaire or not. I know dumb millionaires and brilliant hobos. Im glad your marketing budget allows 1k here and there. When I chose the wording "common sense" it was in response to your previous post quoting my post. Yes, EDDM do have a low return thats why I don't put expiration dates on them and use them throughout the year. As far as being close minded I will just leave that alone. Best of luck in your adventures.

mrclean
03-19-2014, 11:13 PM
I know dumb millionaires and brilliant hobos.

wow man, you really cracked me up on that one :xyxthumbs:
all jokes put aside, stpetedale im happy that EDDM worked out for you! and thats what my post was all about.. finding those that this had worked for.. if its not too much, do you mind showing us what your postacard looked like? what size did you use? i got two different quotes today from the same guy that did my company's shirts. if im going to do this, im definitely going for the 5k printing. 5000...5x7...200 5000...6x9...390 im more then likely going for the 5x7. thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and all of your suggestions:dblthumb2:

Xzavier247
03-20-2014, 01:13 PM
wow man, you really cracked me up on that one :xyxthumbs:
all jokes put aside, stpetedale im happy that EDDM worked out for you! and thats what my post was all about.. finding those that this had worked for.. if its not too much, do you mind showing us what your postacard looked like? what size did you use? i got two different quotes today from the same guy that did my company's shirts. if im going to do this, im definitely going for the 5k printing. 5000...5x7...200 5000...6x9...390 im more then likely going for the 5x7. thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and all of your suggestions:dblthumb2:

Check out gotprint.net just come up with your own copy and they give you instant proof and also a mail proof.