PDA

View Full Version : best way to clean off "heavy dust" from car? wash or use duster?

paradigmGT
03-17-2014, 12:07 PM
I washed my car a month or two ago, and had put a car cover on it and left it parked in my underground parking. Anyhow, someone decided to rip the cover off the car, and it started to it started to accumulate dust. I did not want to replace the cover because clearly the car is attracting attention with it on.

The dust is now very thick on the car.. I do not feel comfortable wiping it off with my california duster as I am afraid it is just too much dust, and it may cause more harm than good.

Should I not worry and use california duster despite the "heavy dust", or should I just wash the car?

Here is a pic of how it looks as of yesterday:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/kingrukus/dust_zps899a51c1.jpg

Klasse Act
03-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Rinseless wash is your friend, I too live in an apartment and its a Godsend! You can also make rinseless wash into a QD, ratios vary depending on brand. Sucks someone took the cover off of your car!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

damaged442
03-17-2014, 12:14 PM
My Oldsmobiles look like that after 6 months of being in storage. With dust that thick, I hit one panel with the California Duster and could see the scratches. I would advise against making the same mistake.

I wash them when they get home, but would be curious about going an ONR route perhaps instead to use less water and keep it from getting under the vinyl top. Interested in feedback from others on this.

mac11wildcat
03-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Is it bonded to the surface or just loose? if its been sitting so long I'd bet some of it wont move with just the brush.

Angus
03-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Rinseless wash is your friend, I too live in an apartment and its a Godsend! You can also make rinseless wash into a QD, ratios vary depending on brand. Sucks someone took the cover off of your car!

:iagree:

California Dusters make me nervous. Sorry to hear about the car cover - that sucks. Was it damaged? Can you loop a cable lock through the bottom of it?

Car Cover Lock and Cable (http://www.autogeek.net/car-cover-lock.html)

It's irritating that you would even have to.

GenesisCoupe
03-17-2014, 01:23 PM

If you go and buy a garden sprayer (say .5 or 1.0 Liter) you can add water with ONR solution, spray the car down with it. Then you can proceed with a rinseless as you would, just with added lubrication. I do this in the winter time if i can't go to a coin op to spray the car down with water.

wild.bill
03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
My car is like this every spring. First thing is don't touch any painted area. I get the windows clean enough to move it. When its near water I rinse it down, then hit it with a foam canon and let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then rinse it down again. Now its clean enough to touch so you can do a normal wash.

03-17-2014, 01:56 PM
I would never touch my paint with a California Duster. I'd go wash the ride...

FUNX650
03-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Any brand of a "Car Duster"?
I have to unequivocally say: No.

You should wash your car when
it's covered by this much dust.

Bob