PDA

View Full Version : Critique my first purchase...did I miss anything?

Pages : [1] 2

Deebo1133
03-16-2014, 02:41 AM
I think I am in trouble and there may be a necessity for a 5 step program in my near future.:awman: This all started when I got a ridiculous quote from Ziebart to do the full treatment on my car....I dug in and with all this stuff should be able to take care of all my vehicles for years to come and to my detail satisfaction:xyxthumbs:

Please look at this order and tell me what you think....
Can I get away with eliminating any of this stuff by using something else in the cart and did I cover all my bases. I understand I can use the OPC for carpet and upholstry, but a little nervous as you can't really rinse it. Also, is a foam gun necessary for swirl free washes? I also am ordering 12 good quality Microfiber towels(6 waffle weave and 6 edgeless), 2 wash mitts, and a lot of different style applicators from another source so I didn't want to post here. I am also looking at buying a big pack of cheaper MF's from Sams Club locally for less important things and I already have good clean 5 gallon buckets, shop vac, and power washer(not even sure I'll need it). Any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated as I want to get this in by tomorrow evening. Oh, and this is just for personal use. Thanks in advance!

Deebo1133
03-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Natural Tampico Upholstery & Carpet Scrub Brush
$7.99 1 Yes $7.99
Mothers Leather Conditioner
$8.99 1 Yes $8.99
Poorboy's World Natural Look Dressing 32 oz. Refill
$17.99 1 Yes $17.99
303 High Tech Fabric Guard 32oz
$19.99 1 Yes $19.99
The Grit Guard Insert - 2 Pack
Option 1 : Black
Option 2 : Red
$17.99 1 Yes $17.99
Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad
$6.50 +/- 2 Yes $12.99
Detailer's Rinseless Wash & Gloss New & Improved!
$19.99 1 Yes $19.99
Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill
$35.99 1 Yes $35.99
Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Elite Kit
$199.99 1 Yes $199.99
Detailer's Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo
$19.99 1 Yes $19.99
32 oz. Meguiars Glass Cleaner Bottle
ADD a Sprayer : YES(+1.00)
$3.99 1 Yes $3.99
Meguiars D120 Glass Cleaner 1 Gallon
Add Proportioner? : No
$19.99 1 Yes $19.99
Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher FREE BONUS
Choose a model : HD(+30)
$159.99 1 Yes $159.99
Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5"
$17.99 1 Yes $17.99
Free Sample with your Order
Sample 1 : Detailer's Pro Series Waterless Wash DP-350-S
$0.00 1 Yes $0.00
32 oz. Heavy Duty PVC Clear Spray Bottle Buy One, Get One Free!
$5.99 2 Yes $11.98
Mothers Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit
$14.99 1 Yes $14.99
Autogeek Quart Foamaster Foam Gun FREE BONUS
$59.99 1 Yes $59.99
Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate #901
$6.99 1 Yes $6.99
Chemical Guys Lightning Fast Carpet Clean & Stain Remover 16 oz.
$9.99 1 Yes $9.99
Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice!
Option 1 : Tangerine
Option 2 : Tangerine
Option 3 : Tangerine
$25.99 1 Yes $25.99
Option 1 : Tangerine
Option 2 : Tangerine
Option 3 : Cyan
$25.99 1 Yes $25.99
Option 1 : Cyan
Option 2 : Cyan
Option 3 : Cyan
$25.99 1 Yes $25.99
3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate
$12.99 1 Yes $12.99
Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice!
Pad 1 : Cyan
Pad 2 : Tangerine
Pad 3 : Tangerine
$16.99 2 Yes $33.98
Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo
$44.99 1 Yes $44.99
Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate & Detail Bottle
$27.99 1 Yes $27.99
Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0 8 oz.
$26.99 1 Yes $26.99

Matt@FourAcesMD
03-16-2014, 04:58 AM
I just spent $500 in the last two days and I'm sure I missed something. Hopefully it is something I can get locally if that's the case But then again, will we ever have enough? I think the general consensus is "no". :props:

trekkeruss
03-16-2014, 05:48 AM
I understand I can use the OPC for carpet and upholstry

You didn't watch the Detail Fest presentation, did you? :p

Also, is a foam gun necessary for swirl free washes?No, because a mitt is still going to touch the car. But I'm sure it's fun to use.

I also am ordering 12 good quality Microfiber towels(6 waffle weave and 6 edgeless), 2 wash mitts, and a lot of different style applicators from another source so I didn't want to post here.What will you use to dry the vehicle?

Gokite
03-16-2014, 05:57 AM
I would get the Griot Garage 6" instead of the PC - a lot more power, just redesigned v3.0.

I would also get the spray bottles from Home Depot, they are $1.50 cheaper for the pro metal-spring loaded trigger bottles, etc.

If you get the microfiber towel pack, you don't need the grit guards. Fill one bucket with water and a little soap and put in 4-6 mf towels. Just use a new towel on 1/4 or 1/6 the vehicle after car is soaked up. You never add dirt to the water b/c you never re-use a mf towel (machine wash them after)

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-16-2014, 07:34 AM
I think I am in trouble and there may be a necessity for a 5 step program in my near future.

Yeah, more like a 12 step program... :buffing:

Gokite
03-16-2014, 08:05 AM
yowza, just looked at the AGO store for mf towels. They are crazy expensive. HomeDepot 16-pack of 18x18 towels is $9.50 - just bought them yesterday.

As an engineer, the "thickness" of a mf towel is irrelevant. If the towel was one atom thick it would perform equally to a 1inch thick towel. It is merely cushion for your hand. Furthermore it is the dirt not the towel that will scratch so mf is mf. Plus I'd rather get the cheaper towels so I can buy more of them so I have more clean towel supply. Even folding a towel to use a clean "section" will squeeze dirt/grime from the dirty section into and through the towel fibers to come in contact with the car.

Deebo1133
03-16-2014, 08:07 AM
You didn't watch the Detail Fest presentation, did you? :p

No, because a mitt is still going to touch the car. But I'm sure it's fun to use.

What will you use to dry the vehicle?

Can you enlighten me on the OPC? I caught a portion but my feed kept freezing for some reason. I think I heard them talking about spraying something after an apc to get the PH correct?

Also, forgot to mention thinking about buying a cheap electric blower...This funny thinking? Also, the quality towels I am buying from another source....is that not going to work?

Darion
03-16-2014, 08:23 AM
That's a real nice list of product ya have there. I wouldn't say ya necessarily missed anything. You will add some things as you go when ya realize you need something. I have found however that as I use what I have I find other options that I want to try and see if they work better. That's how I have landed on the product mix I use, lots of trial and error.

Welcome to the addiction.

PC

Oh, and hanging around here ain't gonna help ya with your sickness either. :props:

peter hurcos
03-16-2014, 11:14 AM
yowza, just looked at the AGO store for mf towels. They are crazy expensive. HomeDepot 16-pack of 18x18 towels is $9.50 - just bought them yesterday.

As an engineer, the "thickness" of a mf towel is irrelevant. If the towel was one atom thick it would perform equally to a 1inch thick towel. It is merely cushion for your hand. Furthermore it is the dirt not the towel that will scratch so mf is mf. Plus I'd rather get the cheaper towels so I can buy more of them so I have more clean towel supply. Even folding a towel to use a clean "section" will squeeze dirt/grime from the dirty section into and through the towel fibers to come in contact with the car.

I'm with you. A plush towel with a good "hand" as they say in the rag trade is a luxury, no doubt, but not with respect to the car. The washcloth size things I got at Sam's Club work fine. Besides, the temptation to make a couple of extra swipes because your supply of towels is limited, is pretty high and would completely undo any advantage to the plush towels.

That said, I got a set at Harbor Freight that were like handkerchiefs. I'm not kidding. So, at some point you can get too cheap a microfiber towel. I understand your argument, but I think the idea of the "Plush" towel is that it cushions against an extra hard piece of pressure by the operator. I expect there is some truth to it at the margin.

Deebo1133
03-16-2014, 02:22 PM
So from the lack of response for the amount of views my post is either too long and hard to read so people don't bother or I have most of the essentials covered. I am leaning toward the Griots DA now. Anyone that has used the GG and PC is the GG much better as far as power? Also thinking of scrapping the Foamer and the soap for it and going w/a Griots 3 inch DA as well as some stuff I read on the 6"suggests it does not do the 3 in backer and pad well? Anyone care to elaborate on that? If it isn't a much better orbital I think the 3 inch backer and pads will work on it as it has a smaller guard on it.

Still would love a response from trekkerus or someone else on his comment concerning carpets and APC's.....

trekkeruss
03-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Still would love a response from trekkerus or someone else on his comment concerning carpets and APC's.....

Well, maybe Megs is just wanting to sell us their new D106 and D116 cleaners. But basically they said that using an APC can set some stains instead of removing them.

Gokite
03-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Also thinking of scrapping the Foamer and the soap for it and going w/a Griots 3 inch DA as well as some stuff I read on the 6"suggests it does not do the 3 in backer and pad well?...

the PC has a 4amp motor, the GG a 7amp, nearly double.

Why get another handle (smaller motor) 3in? Put a $12 3" bp on the GG 6" and a pad, and afterward make your decision if you still need the smaller machine.

Bob57
03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
If you already have a pressure washer the foam cannon might be a better choice then a foam gun.

Bob :)

Deebo1133
03-16-2014, 11:18 PM
I learned that today Bob. Thank you for the heads up. I decided to wait and save for the cannon. Made my first order about 10 minutes ago. Thanks for all the help and feedback everyone.