PDA

View Full Version : Which Foam Pad For Polishing Glass?

Kappy
03-15-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm interested in trying the Detailer's Pro Glass Restore and want to order the correct foam pad for my DA. I didn't know if it's better to use an orange or white Lake County flat foam pad with this product, and in either case, how many pads would be needed if polishing all the windows and not just the windshield?

Thanks.

allenk4
03-15-2014, 01:06 PM
"Polishing" glass to remove defects such as wiper marks and mild scratches with anything other than CeriGlass on a rayon pad is in my opinion...pointless.

However, you can remove all contaminants (water spots, tar, sap, road film) by using these steps:

-Wash with soap & water
-Razor Blade
-Clay
-Compound/Orange Pad
-IPA

If you still want to use the Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html) ...a white pad will be fine. You can clean on the fly and get by with only only one pad. Two would be better.

Kappy
03-15-2014, 02:01 PM
"Polishing" glass to remove defects such as wiper marks and mild scratches with anything other than CeriGlass on a rayon pad is in my opinion...pointless.

However, you can remove all contaminants (water spots, tar, sap, road film) by using these steps:

-Wash with soap & water
-Razor Blade
-Clay
-Compound/Orange Pad
-IPA

If you still want to use the Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html) ...a white pad will be fine. You can clean on the fly and get by with only only one pad. Two would be better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just want to clean the glass and remove the contaminants - there aren't any scratches so I didn't even consider using CeriGlass.

I have read several posts where someone has used something like M105 for glass cleaning, but since I don't have anything like that on hand, I thought I'd try a product specifically made for glass.

davidc
03-15-2014, 03:30 PM
I used DG Nu-Glass and a Blue pad. Cleaned well and slippery afterwards. Have you tried clay ?. That will often times do the trick.

Dave

Kappy
03-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I used DG Nu-Glass and a Blue pad. Cleaned well and slippery afterwards. Have you tried clay ?. That will often times do the trick.

Dave

I have tried clay and several other things without any success.

I've read several posts where someone has recommended Bon Ami for cleaning glass, but the container specifically says not for use on windows, glass, or mirrors. I'm not sure if windshield is more scratch-resistant, but I hesitate to try a product like that and think I'd prefer one specifically designed to clean glass.

davidc
03-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I have tried clay and several other things without any success.

I've read several posts where someone has recommended Bon Ami for cleaning glass, but the container specifically says not for use on windows, glass, or mirrors. I'm not sure if windshield is more scratch-resistant, but I hesitate to try a product like that and think I'd prefer one specifically designed to clean glass.

I did the baggy test on the windows with the gritty result and like I stated used Nu-Glass with blue pad, baggy test came out smooth. Then coated with DG Rain repel. The windows sure clean easier now.

Dave

The Guz
03-15-2014, 05:43 PM
I've used mothers water spot remover with a 4" LC white CCS pad.

Kappy
03-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I've used mothers water spot remover with a 4" LC white CCS pad.

Thanks.

I have a 4" white pad and wasn't sure if I should use it or a 5 1/2" would be better.