PDA

View Full Version : thinking of trying ironx to revive opticoat- have questions

timaishu
03-14-2014, 09:42 PM
My car is opticoated. Well I think it still is.

It hardly beads up anymore. Its been about 2 years. I want to try to deep clean the surface as I am sure there is build up.

Would ironx be the way to go? I already tried claying awhile back and it make zero difference. Beading was still crap.

I am guessing maybe I need something stronger? I was thinking of giving ironx a go as I cannot think of anything else.

What would you guys recommend?

Also, do you think those 50ml bottles would be enough for one car?

I am not sure if I would want to pay 20 bucks for a product I will use once. Unless of course it works amazingly well and does what I am hoping it would, and then perhaps it would be a monthly thing or something..

Assuming ironx is the way to go, think its worth paying for the 500ml bottle? This is just a hobby, so it would only ever be used on mine.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-15-2014, 12:22 AM
CarPro just released a brand new soap that is designed specifically for coatings. I would pick this up and give it a shot.

CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carpro-reset.html#.UyPjafe9KK0)

cleanmycorolla
03-15-2014, 12:48 AM
50ml will get you a panel or two at most? And before you do that. Try a coating friendly paint cleaner. There maybe a "film" on the coating preventing it from doing its job. Depending on how you've maintained the coating, there maybe something present that say DP Prep Polish may remove but keep the coating safe.

Or just listen to Smack, he's way more awesome than me!

timaishu
03-15-2014, 01:05 AM
CarPro just released a brand new soap that is designed specifically for coatings. I would pick this up and give it a shot.

CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carpro-reset.html#.UyPjafe9KK0)

Very cool! I will have to give this a shot. Its not too much either.

In for more suggestions, but this might also be a good general soap replacement if it will help clear up the surface.

The Critic
03-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Very cool! I will have to give this a shot. Its not too much either.

In for more suggestions, but this might also be a good general soap replacement if it will help clear up the surface.

Try some APC with some dwell time. Also clay the surface afterwards.

If this doesn't bring it back, then the Opti-Coat is probably dead.

timaishu
03-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Try some APC with some dwell time. Also clay the surface afterwards.

If this doesn't bring it back, then the Opti-Coat is probably dead.

I wouldn't be surprised if its dead. I've had never ending issues with opti coat. I wish I never bought it in the first place and tried cquartz instead.

I figured I should put a best effort into reviving it however as some parts still bead a little.

I think I am going to wash it with APC and dawn and see what happens. And then wash it again with car soap. And then I will lightly clay.