PDA

View Full Version : The Nuclear Option: Best way to clean a pulled-out interior carpet?

bryanska
03-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Hey all,

What’s the best way to clean my Honda Fit’s carpet with the primary goal of removing ALL odor?

I’ll be adding sound insulation, and figured I’d clean the carpet while it was pulled out. I have access to a hose, driveway, pressure washer, McCulloch steam machine, fan and about 24 hours’ drying time. There is also a Ziebart down the street.

The carpet has some water seepage odor. It was also owned by a Russian college student who smelled like every 22-year old dude. It also has some older salt stains (but I have Weathertechs now). So mostly a funky odor. Not too bad, but enough.

Any suggestions on how I should clean it? Simple Green vs. soap vs. whatever? I’d prefer NO residual odors, not even shampoo odor. I hope the outdoor drying time and ability to fully rinse will help with this.

(I’m not looking for “just use soap, idiot” type of responses. I could easily blast away with detergent and a hose. I’m looking for the anal-retentive option.)

dfoxengr
03-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Clean the interior surfaces,vacuum,extract carpet, steam the remaining stains , then something like drivepur

trekkeruss
03-14-2014, 11:19 AM
After you clean it with whatever detergent you are using, and after you let it dry overnight, sprinkle a liberal amount of baking powder all over it, and let it sit overnight so that the baking soda will absorb any remaining odor. Then vacuum it out.

bryanska
03-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys! I like the second option.

Since the carpet will be 100% pulled OUT of the car, I like option #2.

Just02896
03-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Have you priced a new carpet? Might not be as expensive as your think. Plus you could change the color if you wished.

bryanska
03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Have you priced a new carpet? Might not be as expensive as your think. Plus you could change the color if you wished.

I did price it out. about $150 plus shipping.

I have more time than money.