PDA

View Full Version : How long should it take?

Powerman
03-13-2014, 10:14 PM
I started with a older sedan and after watching several of Mikes Videos and reading a couple of books I'm just worn out trying to finish the outside of ca car in one day.
I start with a 2 bucket wash. Tape the car off clay it and the start section passes using the Meg's twins. If I'm I'm doing 6 to 8 passes per section I can only get 2/3 of the way through one compound. Then I have to was it Shaine the next day ( or weekend) ad finish and start with the other compound.
I can't believe that using a DA would take this long. Is my arm speed to slow our am I just unrealistic on a older Toyota? The paint is flawless when I get done. But is this just a learning curve or normal for an older car? Mikes videos make it look like I should be all done in 4-6 hours.

GreatAvalon
03-13-2014, 10:23 PM
I have the same questions. My Toyota Camry paint was at 95% perfect before I started, I just went over the car with 1 step: Menz sf4500. Took like 8 or 9 hours just for polishing with my PC. Just got done today and the whole process took me 3 days and 21-22 hours or so. That included foam cannon, 2 bucket strip wash, Iron Decon, clay, 2 bucket wash, dry, polishing with 1 step, 2 bucket strip wash, apply sealant, and wipe off sealant. Also included clay and sealing rims.

Maybe its just my newness to techniques and products lol!

Nth Degree
03-13-2014, 11:22 PM
Ahh, the paradigm shift. It does become easier and faster with experience but it isn't a quick process for sure.

When people question the price of paint correction they often have no idea just exactly what goes into it. Realistic expectations is part of it. Technique will certainly reduce the time as you maximize the efficiency of the pad/compound combo. The most efficient method of intermediate steps also helps.

As for Mike's videos; have you ever tried to cook a recipe you saw demonstrated on TV? They do it in 15 minutes but it actually takes about an hour to execute. Keep in mind that videos are often set up to show the ideal circumstances. You rarely see a "how to" video where the conditions aren't controlled to favor the situation and the problems are edited out.

Gokite
03-14-2014, 07:18 AM
This is a good thread. Now I know I need more than 4 hours time to budget for this. I guess I will have to wait for a free weekend instead of a Saturday morning and afternoon. Glad I saw this and didn't have half a car done and have to deal with prior commitments then go to work all week, etc.

Maybe I'll wash the car Friday night, then Saturday AM get on the DA all day and hopefully apply my final lsp either Sat night or Sunday AM.

mac11wildcat
03-14-2014, 07:24 AM
What services are you including? Are we talking about a detail in addition to a paint correction?

Obviously some paint conditions are going to be worse than others and some will be easier to correct. This is probably something youre going to have to assess on an individual basis after some experience with different manufacturers.

It is possible to do in a day though if youre diligent and efficient at selecting and using products. We finished a correct on a GT500 in what would have been 3 hrs (two guys working) if we did not have to let touch-up paint dry. Maybe experiment with different products to see which finish in certain ways and yeild certain results on different paint.

ShaunD
03-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Remember, Mike has been doing this over 30 years and is a machine at paint correction. It would be like watching a world class Marathon runner go out doing sub 5 minute miles and you expecting to do close to the same time because you bought the same shoes he wore, and watched some video on how he trained to run so well. It takes time to become efficient at anything, especially something like polishing paint to near perfection. If you are happy with the results then the time it took was worth it. :)