PDA

View Full Version : removing clay bar in cracks

Blknblu
03-13-2014, 08:38 PM
I have an 09 Dodge Viper ACR in GTS blue with black stripes. When claying the car I get clay on the stripe which is factory painted over the original paint so I have an edge. What is a good technique to remove residue from the edge?

Bruce

ken tuep
03-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I'll usually use a microfiber towel wrapped around a CC, or id, PETCO card. Use some quick detailer and clean it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Blknblu
03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
thanks, will try that

Bruce

mwoolfso
03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
A while ago I purchased mini sculpting tools from Amazon. The various shapes and sharpness of the tools permit me to get anything from just about anywhere on a vehicle. :)

Rsurfer
03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Try tapping the stripe before claying, polishing or waxing.

jamesboyy
03-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Can you feel the clay if you can then try to loosen it up with your nail, if not you will have to tape off the effected areas and use a brush, you could also try washing that section with a chenille wash mitt with a little bit of dawn(dawn breaks down clay)

Blknblu
03-13-2014, 08:52 PM
I now tape the area before claying and my car has not seen water so most likely will not use the mitt method.

trekkeruss
03-13-2014, 08:53 PM
I don't know if this would work, but I would spray clay lube down, and use the clay bar itself to try and pick up the bits stuck on the edge. I would only move the clay bar in the direction from on top of the stripe towards the original paint. This should always be your technique...never move the clay parallel with the stripe and paint, or from the original paint up onto the stripe.

CowboyTruckn
03-14-2014, 02:22 AM
I use the clay itself. Sometimes it gets in door cracks, emblems, etc and I just make a little small edge on the clay and softly run it in or on or around and it picks up its pieces

Flash Gordon
03-14-2014, 05:41 AM
APC, Brush & Time

If you are getting clay all over the place this should tell you to SLOW DOWN! Having to work the same area twice is not good