PDA

View Full Version : Fine scratches on new car from paper

TheBeej21
03-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Good afternoon all, been a regular reader of these forums and Autogeek in general for quite a while. I've been obsessed with keeping my cars clean for a couple years now. I just bought a brand new black Dodge Charger 2 weeks ago. I swore off black cars a few vehicles ago since it's a full time job, but I just loved the Charger in black.

So last weekend, I washed, clayed, machine polished(I forgot to tell the dealership not to "detail" the car before picking it up and they swirled the bleep out of the paint), and protected the paint using the Klasse twins. This was my first time using the Klasse products, but I think I did everything correctly, and it came out quite nice. Two coats of the sealant glaze.

So fast forward to this weekend. I bought some vinyl stripes that I placed on the trunk, still with the backing on to get it in the right position. Just from rubbing the paper around on the trunk, this happened.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/thebeej21/Charger/6BC1CC8A-1756-4ADE-8ECF-0B879DF2657D_zpsoke1bjab.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/thebeej21/Charger/A9A0747E-BC74-49C0-8CF6-DAC4B6753737_zpsqyjkh71h.jpg

I hope the pictures paint the picture well enough. It's all over the trunk. I've heard of soft paint before, but this seems odd to me. Especially on a car that has been protected with sealant. It's just paper rubbing on a clean car.

I'm sure I can polish these out, but I thought I would get the opinion of the experts. Any ideas? Is this normal? Did I apply the Klasse wrong?

jamesboyy
03-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Welcome to autogeek, yes those scratches look like they can be polished out that could have come from when you where moving the stripes on the car and small particles of grit scratched the surface or when the swirl shack(car dealer) detail the car they didn't care, and scratch then paint but it didn't catch your eye when you was polishing

soapboxpreacher
03-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Try some of the Menzerna polish might need to figure out what grit..then seal it up with a good sealant to protect it. I am not familiar with the Klasse durability, I havent used klasse in over a decade, but you might need a polish that cuts a little more then theirs to get that out...I cant really tell from those picture even though they are pretty good.

TundraPower
03-13-2014, 09:08 PM
There are many paints so soft they will swirl or scratch if you look at them wrong. My wife's black Lexus is exactly like your car.

aim4squirrels
03-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Black Chrysler paint is all CCed and it's the same as all their other CC. It's not that soft.

Dirt between the backing and the paint is the most likely culprit. That, or the backing itself scratched the paint.

You really shouldn't rub anything across your paint unless it was specifically made to touch paint. Next time, pick the vinyl up and move it if you must see it before you apply it.

And Klasse SG is a very durable product. 6 months is the lowest I've heard of it lasting if at least 2 coats are applied. I typically saw 9 months to a year, but I apply 3-5 when I use it.

TheBeej21
03-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I used some Meguiars 205 and repaired 90% of the damage. I'll just have to be more careful with this paint. Black cars, AHHHHHHHHH!

Dr_Pain
03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Time for you to consider a coating (after you polish it off course). Since your paint is super soft you may get the added benefits of scratch resistance from a coating.