PDA

View Full Version : newbie intro and advice needed

kevinb
03-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Hello,
I Wanted to take the time to post on the forum for two reasons. First and foremost, to introduce myself. I have been a follower of the forum for about a month and just joined this past week simply because I felt that if I got such enjoyment from the information posted on here, it would only be right to support autogeek financially for providing me the information in such a nice platform. Thus, joined a week ago and already placed an order for $500 for Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Collinite, and Megs products! Lol. They got me!! Lol.
Seriously, I have been detailing cars on the side for about 15 years. It all started because I had friends and coworkers always admiring my personal cars and then ultimately bugging me into making theirs look as good as mine. So, off it took. I detail cars for two reasons. #1: I enjoy it immensely and it relaxes me and gives me a sense of pride to turn something bad into something good. #2: It provides me with money to support my hobby of collecting gas station memorabilia (globes, signs, pumps etc…). I do not ever see myself devoting myself full time to detailing simply because after doing cars on the weekends, I am exhausted as I head back to a full work week. Putting 6 or 7 hours into detailing a car on Saturday and one on Sunday is quite enough for me. I give credit to those who do it full time. I think maybe I am like some on here who actually enjoy taking the more than occasional soccer mom trashed minivan and making it new again. Sometimes I like doing those more than the well up-kept ones. Strange... I know. I have for sure taken a beating on money received as compared to effort put forth on a vehicle, but I like helping those out that are not as fortunate as me and I always seem to be on the shortside of the money equation. No biggie to me though. Detailing feeds my passion for it, I support my hobby, and all that I have left over goes back into supplies of course after making donations to the local animal shelters in the area. It is a win win for everyone. So, I am hopeful to make some new friends on here and learn a lot more. Thanks in advance for welcoming me. My second reason for posting on the forum is to ask for some advice as relating to some pics I am going to post. I have an old 49 ford truck sitting in the back of the garage unexpectedly now and it has a paint issue on the hood which I am unsure of how to tackle or if even I should. I have never worked on a classic vehicle and especially one in which I am not familiar with the type of paint upon it. I have only had experience with clear coats. Anyway, the paint on this truck is 99% in great shape with the exception of the top of the hood. I have taken some snap shots to show the blemish area and I hope they transfer well onto here. Please click on each pic for a full blow up of the issue. My need is for those of you to perhaps let me know if you think this blemish is correctable or at the least if I can minimize it with some quality products. I am not sure what the problem was/is or how it surfaced since I don’t have history on the vehicle. I recently wondered if it was a heat damage issue since it is on the hood, but the underside of the hood shows no such damage, as one would expect being closer to the engine. Thus, I am left to wonder if this is a finish problem that can be corrected. I am fearful to begin without knowledge of the paint and because the truck is so darn nice in other areas and don't want to make it worse. I can honestly live with this, but would like to correct it. So, I am going to post a pic of the fender first, which represents how nice the paint is on the rest of the truck as a reference, then post some pics of the damage and hope those with more knowledge than me can weigh in with thoughts. Thanks so much for taking the time to read!
Kevin

Matt@FourAcesMD
03-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Welcome to AGO, Kevin. Sorry I can't offer much advice on your issue but I wanted to welcome you all the same. Rest assured one of these knowledgeable guys will come to your rescue.

jamesboyy
03-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Welcome to autogeek, that is most likely single strange lacquer type paint that is becoming oxidize take a look as this link http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

kevinb
03-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Thank you both for the welcome and link