PDA

View Full Version : SONAX Perfect Finish on DA (3401) - Read the label with me, please.

Tato
03-13-2014, 03:36 PM
So, I've got here on my hands the So talked Sonax Perfect Finish.

got a 400g bottle, and label says (I'll use UPPERCASE on directions I need instructions):

__
I'm a 'follow the instructions guy' at least when first using a 'new' (for me) product.
--

1 - SAND down with P2000 abrasive paper, then wipe clean.

2 - Apply polish onto EACH sanded area. Polish on for 10 SECONDS at LOW rotational speed with a Polishing Sponge Orange, TILTING the Machine Slightly

3 - Exerting NO pressure, finish polish for 20 seconds, holding the sponge LEVEL.

4 - Wipe over with a Microfibre Cloth.

---
Sure I'm not the 'blindly follow the instructions' guy...

See what I understand from that:

1 - Moderate swirls and scratches (or sand down to 2000, why not?)
2 - ~Cutting/polishing pad, Spread product over area, tilt polisher, slow speed, maybe some pressure here for 10 seconds
3 - Flat the pad and finish down area for 20 seconds with pad flat
4 - Dispense comments (lol)
---

Reading the instructions, I can only imagine this product is intended for spot repairing, and not exactly for polishing an entire vehicle to a swirl free finish like we do many times?

Sure it can be used, but how to deal with the tilting and flattening using a DA (in my case, 3401)? Would you tilt?

Some may say a vehicle is the 'summation of spots', but please, let's skip philosophical questions here...

I'd assume I know some tilting techniques but I use that mostly for, Spots.

How are you guys using this polish, and how that 'filler' capacity rumors stands nowadays?

If you where to coat a vehicle, PF for 1-step correction, Surface Cleansing Polish and Coating (PBL in this case) maybe a good sequence of events?

I'm looking forward for an opportunity to use it, and when it comes, I want to be backed up by some 'theoretical data'.

Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Not intended for spot repairing, it's intended to be used with a rotary polisher. It will not work how it supposed to if used otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaunD
03-13-2014, 04:09 PM
I haven't used this product but, from the instructions you stated it sounds like they are giving instructions for a rotary. Tilting a DA isn't usually going to give you optimal cutting power since PC like DAs work best when kept flat. Even the 3401 is easier to manage when kept flat against the working area. IMO/E a rotary is more consistent when it comes to finishing down a polish. That is the gloss will usually be optimal with most polishes when worked properly with a rotary. In most situation when working finishing polishes with a DA I find it harder to get as much gloss as a rotary can produce, and I find myself fighting DA haze/tick marks. I have found that a crimson pad gives me best finishing results when trying to finish out a finishing polish. On dark finishes I rely on my Flex PE 14(rotary) for quick and consistent finishing.

Mike lambert
03-13-2014, 04:26 PM
It works wonders on a da, use small dots and do not prime the pad. You will need at least 2 polishing pads for a car. Use it like any other polish.

Tato
03-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Well, thank you Sirs. for informative help.

@Mark, so you mean that's the end of a dream?

@Mike, so you mean that's the re-born of a dream?

@Shaun, a 'finishing' lesson in few words, thank you for that. Can you describe your finishing process with a rotary, briefly (extended if you wish, sure!): section size, passes, pressure, polisher speed, arm speed, etc...?

However, I do not own a rotary and haven't got any skill with it (never grabbed one in front of a car with a pad attached to polish it).

I have the option to get Flex Lightweight rotary (3403), would that be a good choice, since I already have 3401?

What 'bothers' me is that 3403 have such high starting speed, and PE14 would be more 'complete', but I can't afford it for now. I'm also totally new to a rotary tool.

What size of pads you're using on PE14, mainly? What size of pads would you use with 3403?

Would 3403 have any 'advantage' over 3401, or 'complete' it in any manner? Is it that 'much more dangerous?' Can it be successfully used for tight spots, which with an extender would fit better than 3401? Do not worth it?

Maybe I would grab a rotary (3403 in this case) for when using 'Rotary recommended' polishes...

Indeed, if you don't recommend 3403 I would skip it and wait for opportunity at PE14 (but much later).

Thanks for help.

Kind Regards.