PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correction - So Frustrated Please Help

Pages : [1] 2

Iamonaboat
03-12-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm about ready to give up. I can't figure this out. I've got an 05 Tsx in premium white pearl and I'm trying to correct the paint. So starting on my test spot ( passenger rear pabel) PC white pad and WG swirl remover. Nothing. Then meguiars UC on orange pad. Eh a little bit. I'm working in maybe a 16 x 16 spot. I'm going about an inch a second, and still can't get it. Brand new pad, nothing. More product, less product , slower, faster, light pressure heavy pressure, and I still can't get what I'm looking for. Do I need to just upgrade to a rotary? http://i.imgur.com/AysT9bL.jpg

Just02896
03-12-2014, 08:09 PM
My initial thought is that you are applying too much pressure to the DA and in turn causing the pad to slow or stop rotating completely. Using a permanent marker, make 3 or 4 reference lines on your backing plate so you will be able to monitor pad rotation. Then you'll be able to adjust pressure based on rotation to maximize results.

LuxuryMobile
03-12-2014, 08:13 PM
What speed are you polishing at and what machine are you using.

Should be soft paint that will correct easily.

tuscarora dave
03-12-2014, 08:17 PM
You're not really working with heavy cutting products. Either get some M-105, M-101 or shrink your work area down to a 10" to 12" area. Microfiber pads would be a more aggressive step up too.

Iamonaboat
03-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Using a scale, I got pretty good at applying ~10Lbs of pressure. I've already marked the pad at 12,3,6,9 per Mike Phillips instructions and the pad is definitely rotating. I'm working at speeds between 5-6 on a PC 7424XP

LuxuryMobile
03-12-2014, 08:22 PM
I don't see any reason to not have the speed set to 6, and nothing lower if you are looking to correct. IMO that machine is underpowered. Can it get the job done - yes of course, are their better options, probably. But the machine is not the reason you are having difficulty.

custmsprty
03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
My initial thought is that you are applying too much pressure to the DA and in turn causing the pad to slow or stop rotating completely. Using a permanent marker, make 3 or 4 reference lines on your backing plate so you will be able to monitor pad rotation. Then you'll be able to adjust pressure based on rotation to maximize results.

stemyx
03-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Maybe your applying too much product. Did you prime your pad?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

davey g-force
03-12-2014, 08:37 PM
You're not really working with heavy cutting products. Either get some M-105, M-101 or shrink your work area down to a 10" to 12" area. Microfiber pads would be a more aggressive step up too.

:iagree: Step up to a more agressive compound and/or MF pads..

HD.Detailing
03-12-2014, 08:38 PM
what kind of pads?

Iamonaboat
03-12-2014, 08:43 PM
They are CCS Orange I believe. I've been looking at the Griots.. Is it really that much more of a powerful machine?

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-13-2014, 05:55 AM
Idk, this seems like a technique issue to me. Ultimate compound on an orange CCS pad should not have any problem taking swirls out of Acura paint. OP, is the picture you posted before or after you started working?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swanicyouth
03-13-2014, 06:07 AM
I've been through this when I started. My guess would be not enough downward pressure, since your moving slow enough. With a PC and foam pads, you can use much more downward pressure to make it a bit more aggressive. Your not going to burn paint. While ~ 15lbs is suggested, sometimes you can use almost as much as the machine can deal with to keep spinning.

To correct defects, a PC should have one speed: 6. However, like Dave said, you may just need a more aggressive combo, but my guess is that this is technique related, unless the car is a repaint.

You don't need a rotary.

HateSwirls
03-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Your fine with the PC, no need for a rotary.
Try this......

Buy yourself a bottle of Wolfgang Uber Compound, it will give you one hell of a cut but finish down very well, use an orange pad, you should be fine then follow up using Meguiar's 205 Ultra Fine Polish using a white pad.

Whatever you do don't give up man, keep at it and I promise you will succeed :)

Iamonaboat
03-15-2014, 06:14 PM
I've been through this when I started. My guess would be not enough downward pressure, since your moving slow enough. With a PC and foam pads, you can use much more downward pressure to make it a bit more aggressive. Your not going to burn paint. While ~ 15lbs is suggested, sometimes you can use almost as much as the machine can deal with to keep spinning.

To correct defects, a PC should have one speed: 6. However, like Dave said, you may just need a more aggressive combo, but my guess is that this is technique related, unless the car is a repaint.

You don't need a rotary.

This was something I've been thinking about. I know there is such a thing as too much pressure if the pad isn't spinning, but as long as the pad is spinning I can apply more pressure? I'm not worried about damaging the clear, from everything I've read it can't be done with a PC. I just thought if the pad was allowed to spin more freely, it would cut better. Thank you for the help!