PDA

View Full Version : Fine scratch on mirror

vleong2332
03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
I noticed these fine scratches going horizontal on my side view mirror (passenger side) with about 2 inches from each other. Since my car was recently washed and clayed, I think these scratches were incurred during one of the process.

The scratches were not deep. I cannot get my fingernail to catch it even when I tried.

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy126/vleong2332/Finescratchsideviewmirrordriverside.jpg (http://s784.photobucket.com/user/vleong2332/media/Finescratchsideviewmirrordriverside.jpg.html)

I tried Detailer Pro's Glass Restorer. Put a dime size of it on a sponge and rub it until it's almost dry and then buff the haze with MF towel. Twice. It didn't help at all.

Any suggestion from those of you who had to deal with this before?

Rsurfer
03-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Your side mirror is not glass, but a film. I don't think you can polish it out like glass.

DARK HORSE
03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Like Ron said above; most side mirrors are not glass, but a film. You cannot polish them like you can glass. Be VERY careful if you try to polish it, especially with a machine polisher (I would NOT recommend it)! Most likely you will burn through the film and leave a dark spot long before you remove any scratches.

tpr1634
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM
May be time for a replacement if it bothers you, and I know it would bother me to no end.:buffing:

vleong2332
03-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Is there on "fix" to this besides replacement?

I would hate to decide on which one bother me the most: spending money on barely noticeable defect (only noticeable by me or another driver) or having to look at these scratches every time I drive.

Rsurfer
03-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Is there on "fix" to this besides replacement?

I would hate to decide on which one bother me the most: spending money on barely noticeable defect (only noticeable by me or another driver) or having to look at these scratches every time I drive.

It would bother me to no end.