PDA

View Full Version : Applying EXOv2 on top of previous layers. How to prep?

Radarryan
03-12-2014, 04:09 PM
I am needing to apply more EXOv2 on top of previous layers of GTechniq C1 and EXOv2. I, unfortunately, acquired a deep scratch (fingernail catches :mad:) but was able to lessen the appearance with Menzerna FG400 and a LC HydroTech Cyan pad.

Rather than just apply the coating to the new area, I decided that I would take this opportunity to add another layer of EXO to the entire paint, rather than just the corrected area, since it is a coating that you can do this with and increasing layers add to the desired effects of EXO.

I don't know what the proper prep is for EXO that has already cured. Do I need to go over it with the Panel Wipe product? IPA wipe down? Just wash and dry?

I just don't want to mess up the application and have to polish the miscured EXOv2 off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and happy detailing!

melF1fan
03-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Similar thing has happened to me. I just polished the area and panel wiped the whole panel and re-applied EXO on the whole panel and it has been holding up just fine now since 3 or 4 months.

I tried Eraser on another panel and it seems to be holding on the same. So i say you are good to go.:props:

In general EXOv2 seems to layer without much issues for me.

zerix
03-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Just general curiosity: How is Exo v2 holding up for you? I think I remember you applied it early last fall, still beading just as good or has it fallen off any?

Radarryan
03-13-2014, 01:45 AM
Similar thing has happened to me. I just polished the area and panel wiped the whole panel and re-applied EXO on the whole panel and it has been holding up just fine now since 3 or 4 months.

I tried Eraser on another panel and it seems to be holding on the same. So i say you are good to go.:props:

In general EXOv2 seems to layer without much issues for me.

Awesome! I have both Panel Wipe and Eraser so I'm covered. Since I cannot use Panel Wipe on the Clear Bra areas, I will substitute with IPA or Eraser.

Just general curiosity: How is Exo v2 holding up for you? I think I remember you applied it early last fall, still beading just as good or has it fallen off any?

Yeah it was in late summer that it was applied. In this time, I have seen no degradation, at all, in any of the hydrophobic abilities of EXO. I am very impressed with it. In fact, I was helping my dad wash his car and when it came time to blow it dry, it look like three times longer to do his car versus mine since mine is coated in EXO - it practically dries itself! Let me know if you have any more questions; I would be more than happy to try to answer them.

swanicyouth
03-13-2014, 06:09 AM
How is EXO to apply? Easy? Streaky?

CamaroSS27
03-13-2014, 12:19 PM

easy!

Radarryan
03-13-2014, 12:26 PM

I think the general consensus is that EXO was easier to apply than EXOv2, but since they no longer manufacture EXO, it's a moot point. Plus V2 lasts longer, can be applied in a larger weather range, and only a few mL are used per coat.

For your BMW, for example, I bet you would use 5mL per coat, so it ends up being pretty cost effective for the 30mL bottle. The first time I applied it, it was a perfect application. The second time, I did get a few streaks but the next day, they disappeared the next day. I saw a thread over in the UK where Rob said that if there are streaks, just use a water-damp microfiber and that should get rid of them. Pretty easy and if I get some today, that's what I'll do. I'd like to do two coats today so we'll see how that goes.

The best part about the product, though, is the properties. The hydrophobic properties, the gloss, etc. is the best part. I hope today goes fine. I plan on waterless washing it, then decontaminating with Panel Wipe and IPA for the clear bra, then apply EXOv2, wait 30 minutes to an hour, and apply the second coat. I'll let you know how it goes and if you have any more questions, please let me know.

Tato
03-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Interesting thread. Please, if possible, try to share some pics of before/after or just after if you think it's great, so we can follow up your results.

I'm really looking forward to 'hear (I mean, read)' about your outcome.

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.

Radarryan
03-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Interesting thread. Please, if possible, try to share some pics of before/after or just after if you think it's great, so we can follow up your results.

I'm really looking forward to 'hear (I mean, read)' about your outcome.

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.

No problem, Tato! I don't think that pictures would yield anything, because only a small section of the paint did not have a layer of EXO on it, all the rest will be receiving subsequent layers. Because of that, the appearance of the paint will not change significantly to the point where a camera will pick it up.

My process will be to apply two additional layers onto the paint, that way the paint that was polished due to the scratch will have adequate protection and exhibit strong hydrophobic properties.

I will post to this thread, but please do not hesitate to ask specific questions regarding the application, or EXO in general (or, frankly, any question I could be of assistance), to either this thread or me, specifically.

Tato
03-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks for answering,

No 'pressure at all', maybe a picture of products you've used, or while applying, anything, I'm kind of a visual learner and find it easier to record later what to do remembering an image...

Good luck on your work!

melF1fan
03-13-2014, 03:40 PM
I think the general consensus is that EXO was easier to apply than EXOv2, but since they no longer manufacture EXO, it's a moot point. Plus V2 lasts longer, can be applied in a larger weather range, and only a few mL are used per coat.

The best part about the product, though, is the properties. The hydrophobic properties, the gloss, etc. is the best part. I hope today goes fine. I plan on waterless washing it, then decontaminating with Panel Wipe and IPA for the clear bra, then apply EXOv2, wait 30 minutes to an hour, and apply the second coat. I'll let you know how it goes and if you have any more questions, please let me know.

EXO v1 was alot easier to apply.. almost like wiping spray detailer. EXOv2 is not hard but it has a window you have to work in. The characteristics are fantastic like you say, the water behavior, gloss is awesome and self cleaning. And it's much more durable than EXOv1.

KevinGTNA
03-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Just one thing I would like to add to this thread: If you are looking to do a re-application of EXOv2 on top of an existing coat, you should stay away from Panel Wipe. It's a great product, but it will cause the existing layer to break down faster.

Use a 70% IPA wipe down cut at 3:1 and it will not cause damage to the existing layer.

Radarryan
03-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for answering,

No 'pressure at all', maybe a picture of products you've used, or while applying, anything, I'm kind of a visual learner and find it easier to record later what to do remembering an image...

Good luck on your work!

Here's the write up. Let me know if you have any questions. :dblthumb2:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/77779-gtechniq-exov2-re-application-2013-porsche-911-cabriolet.html