PDA

View Full Version : Auto Detailing Day at Tuscarora Dave's (South Central PA)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

mightypudge
04-08-2014, 08:16 AM
I call this one, "Dent? What dent?" Haha!

tuscarora dave
04-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Hey Dave. Just checking in. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Hi Andrew, all is well indeed.

So the big day is nearing. Thank you again for volunteering your time and facilities to host this awesome event. I am looking forward to meeting you and all the other "geeks" and learning a new skill. It'll be exciting for me to watch my car transform right before my eyes.

I am always excited about seeing a cool car transform before my eyes.

Thankfully, the weather appears to be cooperating on Sunday, at least for the time being. Fingers crossed it stays that way. The weather in PA, especially in April, can change every minute.

That's right, got my fingers crossed too.

If I may ask, do you have a "game plan" in mind for either of the days? I'm trying to mentally prepare for what the day might bring. For example:

Are we going to split my car into panels, with everyone taking one, thereby getting it done much quicker? Then we could possibly do other cars? Or...

Will I be the only one working on my car while everyone else works on theirs?

Glad you asked...Here's what I hope to see happen.

I'd like to see a few cars being worked on outside of the garage, as well as Andrew's Mustang in the garage.

I don't have the best water at the shop as Andrew and I have discussed on the phone, so I really don't want to see this turn into a car washing day. Having said that...To all the attendees...Please have your car washed before making the trip.

Of course there will be some washing duties going on at the event, but I'd like to see as much rinse-less washing as possible, after all we do have plenty of rinse-less wash to try out and use for this event.

I really hope to see some team work going on as far as teaching the newbies good car care technique...I need for some of the more experienced attendees to "take one for the team" and help guide the newbies in the right direction.

Let's remember that MightyPudge's Mustang GT/CS is the featured car of the day, so we should try to concentrate a good effort on getting that car finished, as well as teaming up to help others to achieve a good orderly plan for their future detailing needs on their own cars.

With that basic "Each one Teach one" principle outlined, I'm not one for hard and fast rules, for an event that's as much for social relaxation as it is to share the passion for the craft of auto detailing.

As the host of the event, I wish to be somewhat free to hover around this event, so I don't want it to be a "Dave does all the work event" as I'll want to guide the less skilled and offer insight, technique, and also take many photos of the event.

I'm absolutely certain that it will all work out concerning the work that gets done to your Mustang

How much of a process are we putting my car through? (Wash, wheels, clay, correction steps, polishing, sealant?)

Any plan for Saturday since I'm coming up a day early? Maybe "DA boot camp" so I can learn as much as I can before Sunday?

We will get a lot of the prep work on your Mustang out of the way on Saturday, so yes, wash , wheels, clay and DA compounding/polishing of the lower panels of the car. We'll leave the major gloss panels for Sunday so all who wish to can be involved where the most effective lessons can be learned, (the major gloss panels)

Something I haven't mentioned yet...

On Sunday there may be a very special friend stopping by to do a few test sections on a car he recently purchased.

This very special friend's name is Joe Green. Joe Green has been a big voice on local CB radio since the 1950's. He is affectionately called "Mean Joe Green".

Joe is in his 90's and is a very spirited and spry old fellow who claims to have plenty of muscle left for "rubbing the paint" on his cars. Joe worked his whole career as a steel worker at Bethlehem Steel in Steelton PA.

Every time I turn my CB radio on, "Mean Joe Green" (who is really a super nice guy and not mean at all) is out there cheering up the world of CB radio. I told Joe that not only would we have products to test out on his car's paint, but some of the best products currently on the market.

I invited Joe to swing on by after he gets out of Church to see what can be done with his car that he claims has a Hemi engine. (Not sure what car Joe has.)

My hopes are that, if "Mean Joe Green" does stop by on Sunday...we all take care of his needs and "show him what we have" as detailers and as friends.

Think we'll have time Saturday to try the Diamondite stuff on my windshield? Want to use it on your vehicle? I'm happy to share anything I bring.

We will make time for it, and yes I would definitely like to use it on my Buick as well, as the windshield visibility teeters on the verge of being very dangerous while driving at night in the rain.

Ultimately the weekend is up to you! I'm happy to just be there and learn stuff and hang with cool people.

Friendliness and harmonious action should be at the forefront of this event.

I want all who are involved to have fun, enjoy themselves and the company of others, and ultimately, I want all who attend to want to come back for a future event.

I'm hoping to be in the area (and maybe checked into my room) around 11 am if not sooner. I will call you when I get off the highway.

Feel free to call tonight after work to discuss the above. I have an early bedtime since I'm up at 4 AM to work out. But I should be awake until 8:30 PM. :)

As you can see, I've written my reply to your PM in the spirit of addressing all who will attend, and I'll be posting it's entirety into the open detailing day thread.

Just give me a call when you get a little time this evening and we'll have a little chat.

DetailKitty
04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
This all sounds awesome!

I don't know if I will even touch my car while it's there... I'd love to hover, observe, learn and help where I can.

I will definitely bring out products and equipment to use/lend.

Maybe I will tackle a section of my car that needs it (doors and rear bumper) after getting more technique info.

Regardless, I have no expectations other than to get to meet some folks and absorb more information :xyxthumbs:

KMG
04-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in this thread or not, but what is being used as the LSP for mightypudge's car? I was going to offer up to bring a partial bottle of CQUK with that could be applied for a coating rather than using a wax or sealant? They are not calling for rain on Sunday and it will be fairly warm so it really shouldn't be an issue of it needing to sit overnight to cure or anything. If this is something you might want to do just let me know and I will bring some CQUK, Reload and suede applicators and clothes with for the coating application process.

I have messaged with Dalton and he will be bring my Rupes 15 and mini with him on Sunday for you guys to test out.

dcjredline
04-08-2014, 12:05 PM
OK everyone... STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!! lol I am getting too excited the more I hear!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha!!

ShaunD
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Sorry, I can't make it up to enjoy the festivities. Got too much work lining up. Maybe I just need to start a VA detail fest.:)

Becciasm
04-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Sorry, I can't make it up to enjoy the festivities. Got too much work lining up. Maybe I just need to start a VA detail fest.:)

Yes.

:)

mightypudge
04-08-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in this thread or not, but what is being used as the LSP for mightypudge's car? I was going to offer up to bring a partial bottle of CQUK with that could be applied for a coating rather than using a wax or sealant? They are not calling for rain on Sunday and it will be fairly warm so it really shouldn't be an issue of it needing to sit overnight to cure or anything. If this is something you might want to do just let me know and I will bring some CQUK, Reload and suede applicators and clothes with for the coating application process

Good question. I was thinking of using Wolfgang Sealant, then following with a coat of Collinite 845. But the sealant has to cure so I don't think the 845 was going on my car until the following weekend.

Think the CQUK would be a better option? I'm open to suggestions, and I've seen your work so I certainly trust your opinions here.

KMG
04-08-2014, 01:06 PM
CQUK is an excellent coating that adds tons of gloss and up to 2 years of protection. Just hit it with reload every few months and it will provide you years of protection unlike typical sealants and waxes. Personally I would go with a coating over a traditional sealant or wax any day. Think about it, and I will bring it with.

Like I said I am going to be getting there mid day on Sunday however.

mightypudge
04-08-2014, 01:15 PM
CQUK is an excellent coating that adds tons of gloss and up to 2 years of protection. Just hit it with reload every few months and it will provide you years of protection unlike typical sealants and waxes. Personally I would go with a coating over a traditional sealant or wax any day. Think about it, and I will bring it with.

Like I said I am going to be getting there mid day on Sunday however.That's cool, we may be ready for the coating step when you get there. I'll read up on CQUK in the meantime.

Becciasm
04-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Good question. I was thinking of using Wolfgang Sealant, then following with a coat of Collinite 845. But the sealant has to cure so I don't think the 845 was going on my car until the following weekend.

Think the CQUK would be a better option? I'm open to suggestions, and I've seen your work so I certainly trust your opinions here.

A coating will help lock in the brilliant shine that the white 'stang will have when the polishers are put down on Sunday :)

KMG
04-08-2014, 01:24 PM
There have been a lot of posts lately with cars that have been coated in CQUK. It's a very popular coating. I can promise you that you won't regret having it :)

tuscarora dave
04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
That is a very nice offer of the coating. I detail a white Bentley GT formerly belonging to Lebron James. When forum member Jon Miles serviced it for Lebron, he applied the first release of CQuartz on it. It's current owner doesn't see swirls so it's never been compounded or polished by me. The CQuartz is still going strong after a few years.

Any similar coating has my approval for sure.

mightypudge
04-08-2014, 03:31 PM
That is a very nice offer of the coating. I detail a white Bentley GT formerly belonging to Lebron James. When forum member Jon Miles serviced it for Lebron, he applied the first release of CQuartz on it. It's current owner doesn't see swirls so it's never been compounded or polished by me. The CQuartz is still going strong after a few years.

Any similar coating has my approval for sure.

That stuff sounds like the real deal for sure.

mightypudge
04-08-2014, 03:49 PM
So all this talk about my exterior, I forgot to post these pics of the driver's seat. Obviously the previous owner did not take very good care of the leather. What do y'all think I can do about these wrinkles?

I was planning on doing some steam cleaning with my McCulloch 1275, maybe also hitting it with the Wolfgang leather cleaner and working it in with a brush. Any other tips?