PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Lexan?

brandon g
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
My church is trying to raise 35k to replace the exterior lexan windows protecting the stained glass. I'm hoping to save the church money by restoring the windows myself. The windows are extremely oxidized but I was able to restore a test spot by wet sanding with 1500 grit then 3000 followed by plastx. Even though it worked I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure especially over a large area. I was told to try a plastic cleaner then a plastic polish but was hoping to gain some insight before purchasing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brandon

brondondolon
03-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Hey Brandon im Brondon lol. Yeah my guess would be the wet sanding and follow with a rubbing compound.

FUNX650
03-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Very righteous of you to offer your services. :xyxthumbs:

Allow me to suggest:
Using AGO's search function, type in keywords:
Polishing and Lexan.

There you'll find numerous informative threads to further guide you down this path-of-righteousness.

Bob

brandon g
03-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the help Brandon.I will bring some rubbing compound with me. Tried searching for polishing lexan and could only find plexiglass related stuff.

brondondolon
03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I'd do two test spots. One small one and then a larger one to see how it's working

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

shagnat
03-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Lexan is a different animal for sure. I've only painted it, never tried to accomplish anything like what you're doing. Plexiglass and Lexan are far different from each other. Wish I could offer more input. You're wise to be cautious.

brandon g
03-13-2014, 05:03 PM
I will try a couple of test spots to see what method works quicker and with better results hopefully. I will order some plastic cleaner and polish to test along side the rubbing compound. I hope a wool pad will work best at absorbing more of the nasty oxidation on these windows.