PDA

View Full Version : Detailing as a side job?

Pages : [1] 2 3

itzzjordan_
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Hey guys! So I am looking to detail on the side around my area. I plan on doing mainly light work like washing, waxing, light upholstery cleaning and other basic things. I have purchased basically everything I should need besides a buffer. I want to keep my prices pretty low so I can beat out the local competition. I was wondering what some of you guys charge for various services and how did you go about promoting your work?

Status
03-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Ill just say research your area and your competitors pricing and base what you do off that. I live in Ohio so someone who lives in LA, New York, or Miami will probably charge more for the same job as I would in Ohio. Educate and understand your market.

Promoting you work will start out primarily word of mouth, so do great work. Mike Phillips, "Under promise, over deliver."

DetailingNoob
03-10-2014, 09:24 PM
First start doing family and friends cars.. Then word of mouth will work for your if you deliver quality work.

Study your market area for pricing.

L67James
03-10-2014, 11:34 PM
First start doing family and friends cars.. Then word of mouth will work for your if you deliver quality work.

Study your market area for pricing.

This.

Don't make your prices so low that people expect them to stay that low. Maybe start with an introductory special of some sort. Otherwise you will forever be getting paid less than you deserve.

FUNX650
03-11-2014, 07:07 AM
:welcome: ...to AGO!

I want to keep my prices pretty low so I can beat out the local competition.
As soon as the weather permits in my area of the Country, there's a slew of "detailers" that come out of the woodwork that'll charge around $10-20 to do the same amount of "detailing-work" you've listed.

Hard to even consider trying to compete at a lower price-point than those numbers.

Hope your market area isn't jammed with these type of car-care attendants.

Good Luck!!

Bob

BobbyG
03-11-2014, 07:10 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Detailing as a side business is a great idea "if" you have a passion for it.

nezff
03-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Don't base your prices on anyone in your area. They might be charging a certain price for services and not using the high quality products you use. I started back detailing about 1 year ago as a side job to my firefighting.

I detailed a Toyota Tacoma and the lady posted it in Facebook. It took off from there. Granted I'm a one man show and I do one car per day. I have a pc and a griots gen 3 polisher. I bought a mytee lite extractor last year after seeing I could do a better job at carpeting and seat cleaning. Investment. I only use quality tried and true methods and products.

Don't charge a customer a lower price for your high quality work just because the local detail shop is charging them the same it lower for lower quality work. I have two other so called detailed shops in my area that don't do corrections. I like that because the last 10 or so customers want the swirls buffed out if their vehicles from their washing methods. I have done a total of around 60 cars to date in that one year. If you take the time to do the job right, more will come. Word of mouth and social media is the best.

Evan.J
03-11-2014, 07:34 AM
I want to keep my prices pretty low so I can beat out the local competition. I was wondering what some of you guys charge for various services and how did you go about promoting your work?

This is probably the worst thing you can do. Cutting your prices to be the cheapest around is no way to make any money.

Shop your local market and see what other shops are changing for the various services. This doesnt mean to go and use the same price scale that they do you just want to get an idea of what to do and what you local area/market can support.

What is you area, are you located in a blue collar community or a white collar one. You certainly want to taylor your services to whats around you.

As its already been stated use your friends and family to your advantage but at the same time tell them to be honest and get feedback from them. Ask them what they like and what they dont.

thebamboo23
03-11-2014, 09:53 AM
if you want to do this for side money and dont want to take it seriously

just post on your facebook and tell your friends you'll clean there cars for $40: wash, wax, and vacuum

HUMP DIESEL
03-11-2014, 10:12 AM
I am doing exactly this right now. I did have a mobile full time detailing business years ago that took off like a rocket, but I had to go back to work because my wife lost her job.
Now I do higher end work on the side, one car at a time. I agree with the above, if you enjoy it, do it. I really like working on vehicles to get them as close or better than showroom and the time flies by for me. Getting paid is an added benefit, but I make sure that I am getting paid well for it.
If you do good work, your name will get out fast among the people that really know what it means to have a car detailed.

HUMP

rolop6
03-11-2014, 01:39 PM
You are the cheap guy I always refer cheap people to. There is always someone looking to undercut everyone else. That only lasts about a month or two. If people don't want to pay my prices that's ok, I don't need people that don't understand the value of my services. I always keep a cheap detailers number with me, and yes I do refer people to him. I also tell them that they get what they pay for, and I know because I've seen the work.

thebamboo23
03-11-2014, 03:21 PM
you can always offer your services to used car lots.. $65 for inside and out and $20 for headlights :D

10secdream
03-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I am also going to start detailing on the side during these upcoming summer months. I did a few cars last fall and I already have at least 15 cars lined up for the spring just from word of mouth. I have been charging around 30 dollars an hour.

nebojsa
03-11-2014, 08:00 PM
You are the cheap guy I always refer cheap people to. There is always someone looking to undercut everyone else. That only lasts about a month or two. If people don't want to pay my prices that's ok, I don't need people that don't understand the value of my services. I always keep a cheap detailers number with me, and yes I do refer people to him. I also tell them that they get what they pay for, and I know because I've seen the work.

Exactly. I always see those on craigslist offer "full detail" for 25. You need to charge what you think you are worth. You have to account all your expense and figure out your break even number. I charge 40-60 a hour just depends on work/condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote33
03-12-2014, 05:01 AM
I detail only on weekends around my other career because I love doing it. Trust me... If you want to do it as a side job, don't do the cheap details or you will burn out. Cleaning a kid thrashed SUV for a few bucks an hour will kill your love for detailing. Get the right tools, practice on friends and family cars and then offer higher end details for more money and turn down the junk work.