PDA

View Full Version : My nemesis: Swirls

Pages : [1] 2

vleong2332
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
My car had over-spray materials from a nearby construction on college campus. The contractor finally took care of it today by washing and claying the whole car. Now that I look at it more closely, I notice swirl marks all over the car. Some of them are not bad but I definitely see some that weren't there. I am trying to figure our if the swirl marks are caused by the improper washing or because the claying process removes the old wax that was covering the swirls.

They will wax/seal it tomorrow, but now I have my doubts if I should let them touch my car again. What are your thoughts?:confused:

TopThatDetail
03-10-2014, 06:26 PM
The contractor from the construction company washed and CB the car?

vleong2332
03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
They hire a third party, a car cleaning business. Forgot the name though.

inDetail
03-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Well claying can mar your paint if you don't know what your doing. What condition was the paint in before they worked on it?

vleong2332
03-10-2014, 07:26 PM
it's a new (certified) car. Paint was excellent until I got the overspray stuff that looks like white sand grits all over the car. What is marring? How does it look like?

DetailingNoob
03-10-2014, 07:30 PM
You should have took pictures for your own good.

vleong2332
03-10-2014, 07:43 PM
So does waxing hide fine swirls? I wonder if the swirls were already there and they just become visible because they clay the wax off the paint.

swanicyouth
03-10-2014, 07:56 PM
So does waxing hide fine swirls? I wonder if the swirls were already there and they just become visible because they clay the wax off the paint.

They scratched your paint. Regardless of what anyone says, wax will not hide swirls to the trained eye.

AutowerxDetailing
03-10-2014, 08:17 PM
This is why it is generally recommended to follow any claying, or decontamination process via synthetic clay alternatives, with at least a finishing polish to remove any marring caused by the clay.

davey g-force
03-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Regardless of how he swirls appeared, I wouldn't let the contractor's contractor (!) touch the car again.

It needs to be corrected and then sealed, which you can hire a good detailer to do, or buy the right products / tools and do it yourself.

miltonlin
03-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I agree with others - DON'T let them touch it again.

cardaddy
03-10-2014, 09:58 PM
The contractor had a contractor. Hmmmmm
I had a friend send me a photo of a business card recently.
It was a So and so TREE SERVICE, trees cut and removed.

At the bottom it read "Auto Detailing"

Holy moley! :eek:

My buddy asked if perhaps he was using a chain saw to buff cars!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Kamakaz1961
03-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Wow! My 2 cents worth.....You should have detailed the car yourself and give them the bill for your time. I would NEVER let anyone touch my car for your swirl reason. However, you have a great opportunity to make it right with YOUR talent!!

Great way to improve your technique with practice. The car is your baby (or woman or man) treat it like it's yours.

DO NOT let them touch your car again....my guess it will only get WORSE!

vleong2332
03-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Thank you for everybody's 2 cents.

I brought my car to be assessed by another detailer. This one scares me too. He said it doesn't matter which one goes first (sealant or wax) - not from what I read all around detailing forums. I pretty much lost trust from that point.

The only auto detailing knowledge I have is from lurking around this forum. I'd like to do my own car but time often hinder me from doing it. I don't have a garage. That means I have to depend on good weather and open schedule to be able to do anything. Anyone know a place that I can use to wash and detail my own car?

rms64
03-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Where are you located? Maybe a fellow forum-person could offer assistance...