PDA

View Full Version : Stray swirl marks

Ao1051
03-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Is it ok to polish out swirls by hand instead of pulling out the old DA/rotary to knock them out? litrally like I see them but no one else would unless they knew where to look. What you guys think?

mac11wildcat
03-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Would depend on its effect on the surrounding area, no?

ThomasonCarCare
03-10-2014, 03:31 PM
If the rest of the working area is swirl free it should be ok. Otherwise you would have a clean area that would stand out more than the rest. Just remember to reapply wax or sealant to the area.

Ao1051
03-10-2014, 03:34 PM
everything else is swirl free... its like one stray circular scratch that's about 5 inches long very very light and arching ...

mac11wildcat
03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
If youre willing to go the extra step and it has no effect on the work you've already done then why not? Especially for your own vehicle; car guys understand the need for perfection.

spiralout462
03-10-2014, 03:47 PM
I can't seem to get the right technique when working by hand. My results are never as good as a machine. The only hand polishing I do is under the door handles.

mac11wildcat
03-10-2014, 03:49 PM
I can't seem to get the right technique when working by hand. My results are never as good as a machine. The only hand polishing I do is under the door handles.

This is what i was referring to. Getting a uniform polish by hand can be difficult and if it doesnt match your machine finish it may not be worth the trouble. Could always get the bad ones by hand then re-polish with a machine...

ThomasonCarCare
03-10-2014, 03:50 PM
I see that you are in Minot, ND. How can you keep your vehicle in good condition during your winter? I was there for 6 months during the winter one year and ill prepaired for it (was coming from Barksdale AFB, LA). What product do you use during the winter and how does it hold up to the extreme temps and high winds blowing that sand like snow at you?