PDA

View Full Version : Buffer marks on plastic trim!

Tools17
03-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Hi I have these plastic pieces on my door pillars on my 2012 Volkswagen CC. They have swirls and what appears to be scuff marks from a buffer or something from the previous owner.

My question is can I polish these kinda like I would do my paint to get rid of swirls and scratches?

I have some pinnacle swirl remover and glaze as well. Would these work?

Thanks for the help!

Mike Phillips
03-10-2014, 07:49 AM
I would say "yes".

Do a little testing but the plastic should buff out just fine.

:)

Tools17
03-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Ok thanks I'll give this a try.

Ebf2k
03-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Our Ford Fusion had the same problem. I used Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on a white foam CCS pad and it got rid of them. It polishes out very easily.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Yea, you can. Ive done those for a few friends. Tape off where your pad only touches them. I started with CG V38 polish on white pad and moved to V36 with white pad. That would probably equal to WG Finishing Glaze as mentioned above.

nebojsa
03-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Would you use a glaze? Or would something like m205 work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes Bremec
03-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Would you use a glaze? Or would something like m205 work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that he might be referring to the wolfgang finish glaze which is a fine polish. M205 would work also but sometimes the finish glaze finishes down better. Depends on many variables.

ShaunD
03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
The Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover on a polishing pad would probably remove most of the defects, and finish down very well. The Finishing Glaze could probably remove the majority of the lighter stuff but, some of that looks too deep for it. Just make sure to mask the plastic and rubber trim/seals around the plastic panels. Just be very careful wiping them after you polish, using a plush microfiber, not a low nap MF.

Nth Degree
03-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Many of these I have experienced have been very soft, singe-stage black paint. should correct relatively easy. Keep in mind that some of the marring on these may be rather deep since it is where most people push the door closed. Perfection may not be realistic or worth the risk. On th plus side it is a small area to have repaint.

Tools17
03-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Many of these I have experienced have been very soft, singe-stage black paint. should correct relatively easy. Keep in mind that some of the marring on these may be rather deep since it is where most people push the door closed. Perfection may not be realistic or worth the risk. On th plus side it is a small area to have repaint.

I'm pretty sure these are plastic and not paint. Here is anther pic of the one on the rear of the car.

Thanks for all the help.

WillWashesCars
03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I've corrected these panels successfully many times. Use a gentle pad and polish combination and watch out for heat. Make sure you tape off the trim if you are not comfortable controlling the buffer.

Tools17
03-12-2014, 09:01 AM
I've corrected these panels successfully many times. Use a gentle pad and polish combination and watch out for heat. Make sure you tape off the trim if you are not comfortable controlling the buffer.

Thanks, It'll be a few days before I can try this out. I will post an update once I do it.

Tools17
03-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Ok so i tried it and it worked good. I used pinnacle carnauba glaze polish and a white polishing pad.

Thanks for the tips!

lawrenceSA
03-26-2014, 03:13 PM
If these are indeed the typical VW style B-pillar type finish, it will be clear coated and will be relatively soft.

I have never had to go more than a LC white pad and PF2500 from what I can recall.... finish off with SF4000 on a LC grey or similar and you will be good to go.

The edges are typically thinned out and may give off the paint transfer that makes it seem like it is single stage.

Well, that is my experience with them anyway.... but admittedly I have not detailed a Passat specifically.