PDA

View Full Version : Need diagnoses and prescription!

genesiss
03-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

I just bought this 99 es 300 last week. The body is basically excellent shape but the paint is a different story. It is peeling in numerous places. What is happening to it? Is this clearcoat failure?

My budget to improve the paint is around 300-400$. I have very little knowledge of how to go about this. I figure either some type of DIY job or have someone do it for me. I realize at that price point I can probably only afford a Maco job.

If I do go the route of DIY, what approach needs to be taken, and also what are the best items and particular brands for the job? I stepped into a auto store and was overwhelmed with the choices. Specifics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

rolop6
03-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes, the paint is done! Your only option with that budget IS macoo. But that paint job won't last. You get what you pay for with body and paint work. So either save up and get it done right or get a cheap paint job for now.

A-train
03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
I don't know how you feel about it but Plasti-dip would be a good option for your budget and it would be a fun diy project. With all the options and colors they offer and the new gloss enhancers there are a lot of good looking vehicles out their. I think I would do that before a Maaco job.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

genesiss
03-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Ok so I decided I don't want to risk my car at Maaco. I'd rather just polish it up as best as I can to minimize the flaws.

Whats the best polishes and applicators to buy?

How many do I need - Is just an abrasive polisher like Ultimate compound enough? Or is there any additional applications of different chemicals or compounds needed before or after? Sealants or waxes etc. Please help!

octane
03-10-2014, 07:20 PM
you need a new paint job, no amount of polishing can fix that!

inDetail
03-10-2014, 07:26 PM
+1 on the new paint job. Check a price for just having those panels repainted. You can probably fix the others if the damage is not bad.
Another option is see if getting a single stage paint is cheaper by you.
My brother-in-law got his 68' Firebird painted in single stage and was cheaper then getting a clear coat. It's a garage queen so he did not care the paint still looks flwles.

DetailingNoob
03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Stop rust with Plasti Dip - YouTube (http://youtu.be/PxNG2PpdLw4)

genesiss
03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
you need a new paint job, no amount of polishing can fix that!

Not disagreeing with the diagnoses, just want to know what to get for the car in case I choose to live with a partial clearcoat failure.

genesiss
03-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Meguiar's Brilliant Solutions Paint Restoration Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Brilliant-Solutions-Paint-Restoration/dp/B004EB12FS)

Is this my best option?

ShaunD
03-10-2014, 08:12 PM
The only thing that i going to make that paint even close to livable is a wool pad on a rotary, and an amazing compound like FG400 or Wolfgang Uber, or a compound Scholls Concepts. Ultimate Compound may improve it a great bit but, you would need to be using a heavy cut foam pad, microfiber pad, or wool. Do you have a polisher? The money and time you will spend on doing this will put you half to preping and paying for a Macco paint job. The biggest problem with Macco is they usually don't prep well, and will not refine the paint to remove any paint defects once they are done. It really varies from shop to shop across the country. It's a great paint job to practice on since you aren't really going to make it worse than it already is. But like I said, by time you buy a polisher and pads, and the compound and polish, and any other accessories like MF cloths, you will have spent about half of what it would cost to get a low end paint job.

FUNX650
03-10-2014, 08:24 PM
My diagnosis from way over here:
The paint is toast...burnt toast.

Allow me to prescribe:
Go to your local auto parts store and buy some Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (A12)...to butter-up this mess...
until your paint-budget allows for a more aesthetically appealing solution.

Bob