PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 interior tips !

muscleman
03-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Hey guys, just got done doing my friends car this afternoon and realized when it comes to really dirty cars I struggle with making the interior look incredible , yeah its clean but just clean...what are your top 3 tips for interior cleaning and what do YOU think customers notice the most. Really want to male my interiors stand out compared to the jobs these express detail places.

Quiksilver5882
03-09-2014, 05:39 PM
1. Use the two towel method on interior windows. Customers will definitely notice streaky windows!

2. Use compressed air or the master blaster to remove dust before vacuuming.

3. Make sure to do a final wipe down to ensure no high spots after dressing. No one likes a greasy finish.

Hope this helps!

muscleman
03-09-2014, 05:44 PM
1. Use the two towel method on interior windows. Customers will definitely notice streaky windows!

2. Use compressed air or the master blaster to remove dust before vacuuming.

3. Make sure to do a final wipe down to ensure no high spots after dressing. No one likes a greasy finish.

Hope this helps!
nice ! keep them coming!

Old Tiger
03-09-2014, 06:07 PM
CarPro Eraser is the best for removing film on interior windshield.
Use horizontal wiping motion on exterior glass and vertical on interior glass or vice versa.
Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel works on rubber/vinyl floor mats like no other and it is not slippery.

muscleman
03-09-2014, 06:22 PM
CarPro Eraser is the best for removing film on interior windshield.
Use horizontal wiping motion on exterior glass and vertical on interior glass or vice versa.
Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel works on rubber/vinyl floor mats like no other and it is not slippery.
Thanks for the tips! any more fundamentals or secret tricks to making the interior standout!

mac11wildcat
03-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Ive been doing the interiors on the cars from Clarity Houston that have been on here recently. The tips depend upon the vehicle. Ill do my best to sum up what ive found works best in general. Wont be limiting this to 3, sorry.

1. Just like during a wash, clean from the top down (i also tend to finish the rear and move immediately to the front of the dash) This way you avoid sitting, rubbing, or greasing up areas you've already cleaned.

2. blow compressed air on all panels that are above seat level, massage contaminants out of all seams in seats and between panels, and then vacuum EVERY square inch (not including the carpet/floor). Otherwise youre just grinding dirt into those areas. Leave floors for when youre absolutetly 100% done moving around that part of the car.

3. clean areas in the order of what product youre using; keep your glass for last to avoid streaks. Dont clean your windows and go dress the panels next to them, you'll have a nice greasy border.

4. leave your seats and floors for absolute last in their respective sections. I have the entire rear of the car clean before i touch the seats because they are inevitably used during detailing. My drivers and passenger seats are the absolute last thing to get detailed (excluding the door cards).

5. if you arent happy with an area dont go moving on. odds are if you were to go back and go deeper into cleaning the dirt and grime there will find its way to already clean areas.

6. dont underestimate the power of steaming!

7. q-tips and other confined space tools are invaluable; your finger nail is often not deep enough for gaps between panels and door seals etc. find a tool that lets you reach these places; theyre what separates a good interior from one that looks new.

Loser
03-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Never thought of this. I'm assuming this makes it easier to track where the streaks are coming from should you have them?

ThomasonCarCare
03-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Ive been doing the interiors on the cars from Clarity Houston that have been on here recently. The tips depend upon the vehicle. Ill do my best to sum up what ive found works best in general. Wont be limiting this to 3, sorry.

1. Just like during a wash, clean from the top down (i also tend to finish the rear and move immediately to the front of the dash) This way you avoid sitting, rubbing, or greasing up areas you've already cleaned.

2. blow compressed air on all panels that are above seat level, massage contaminants out of all seams in seats and between panels, and then vacuum EVERY square inch (not including the carpet/floor). Otherwise youre just grinding dirt into those areas. Leave floors for when youre absolutetly 100% done moving around that part of the car.

3. clean areas in the order of what product youre using; keep your glass for last to avoid streaks. Dont clean your windows and go dress the panels next to them, you'll have a nice greasy border.

4. leave your seats and floors for absolute last in their respective sections. I have the entire rear of the car clean before i touch the seats because they are inevitably used during detailing. My drivers and passenger seats are the absolute last thing to get detailed (excluding the door cards).

5. if you arent happy with an area dont go moving on. odds are if you were to go back and go deeper into cleaning the dirt and grime there will find its way to already clean areas.

6. dont underestimate the power of steaming!

7. q-tips and other confined space tools are invaluable; your finger nail is often not deep enough for gaps between panels and door seals etc. find a tool that lets you reach these places; theyre what separates a good interior from one that looks new.

The only thing I would add is to make sure your dash dressing isn't too shiny, most people will appreciate a clean dash as opposed to a shiny one.

mac11wildcat
03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
The only thing I would add is to make sure your dash dressing isn't too shiny, most people will appreciate a clean dash as opposed to a shiny one.

This. No armor-all look. Its actually a pain in the ass to drive on clear/sunny days with a high shine dressing on there. We stay on the very low end of dressings in DD cars to avoid the blotchiness and that feeling of running your hands through a 60's Italian guy's hair..

thebamboo23
03-10-2014, 02:28 PM
1) always do an acid rinse after cleaning with a high alkaline product
2) if the interior is super messy, use steam to get all the nasty stuff out from tight areas, then vacuum
3) clean & extract the top part of the seat first

Christopher.Brown
03-28-2014, 07:58 AM
1. DRY BRUSH ALL CARPETED SURFACES.... BEFORE & AFTER..... remove the MAJORITY dirt from the carpet and mats BEFORE adding water. This will make for less working time and more efficient cleaning of the surface. Then after the rinsing of a shampoo session, back brush the carpet to enable the fibers to stand in order for it to dry faster to the bottom

2. USE AS LITTLE PRODUCT AS POSSIBLE WHEN CLEANING THE INTERIOR - Ive said this before and will keep saying it. the interior is the most intimate space for a driver. Now some owners caress the paint like every day is valentines day. But the truth is no part of the car interacts with a driver more than the interior.
That means the human body oils and fluids are already breaking down the materials inside. So be gentle with the interior and dont blast it with heavy chemicals. You don;t want the driver to be ingesting these from touch or breath. Also, the interior needs to hold up for the long haul.
[B]

3. ASK THE CLIENT WHAT THEIR PREFERENCES ARE - EVERYONE has different preferences what the do or do not like in the interior be e.g. perfect seats, dash, windows or door jambs. Simply make a casual inquiry and you can become a instant hero. Also, by asking they may remember an issue they have been meaning to have taken care of and then again you are the savior of car care... :cheers:

wdmaccord
03-28-2014, 08:50 AM
make sure you have detailing brushes for the interior (like vent brush or concours brush). You can really get the cracks and crevices clean using these with just a small squirt of APC on the brush-head. Most people tell me they can't believe that all the gunk is out of the cracks and all the tight areas are so clean. If they have noticed how well you did in the tough areas, they'll know the rest of the job is done well also.

rouxster
03-28-2014, 08:55 AM
I only have one suggestion. Follow http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/49998-mike-s-glass-cleaning-tips.html. Best window advice I have ever gotten. People used to tell me to use newspaper. While that is better than paper towels, nothing beat going over the glass 3 times with a clean MF towel each time. I don't have a need for the Glass Master Pro, but the rest of his advice is spot on!