PDA

View Full Version : Can sealant be put on top of a wax?

Pages : [1] 2

SPiN
07-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Out of curiosity can you add sealant on top of a wax?

Al-53
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Out of curiosity can you add sealant on top of a wax?

sealants do not bond well on wax...it is best to use the sealant first..then wait 12-24 hours for the cure time and then apply a wax on the sealant...

due to the oils and make up of wax it offers a poor bonding media...

Al

Russecu
07-11-2007, 11:28 AM
To my knowledge the only one I have heard that can be applied over a wax is Opti-seal. I have not tried it thou.

Jimmie
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
sealants do not bond well on wax...it is best to use the sealant first..then wait 12-24 hours for the cure time and then apply a wax on the sealant...

Al

:iagree: . A good indicator is smearing.

supercharged
07-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Al
:iagree: :iagree:

ScottB
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
As offered sealants dont like certain components in waxes. There are two new hybrid sealants (opti-seal and clear seal) that dont seem to have the same trouble.

GranPrix
07-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Al

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Tropicality
07-11-2007, 05:02 PM
What about using Aquawax overtop of a Carnauba? I thought I've seen some people doing that around here..

supercharged
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
What about using Aquawax overtop of a Carnauba? I thought I've seen some people doing that around here..
Aquawax is nothing more but a QD+. It usually gets washed off in a first wash. It possibly slightly "bonds" to carnauba, but barely holding on to it gets washed off quickly.
If you spray it on a serface that has been sealed, and get it cure for 12 hours, that will be a different story.

froggyman
07-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Aquawax is nothing more but a QD+. It usually gets washed off in a first wash. It possibly slightly "bonds" to carnauba, but barely holding on to it gets washed off quickly.
If you spray it on a serface that has been sealed, and get it cure for 12 hours, that will be a different story.

If the Aw "managed" to cure for 12 hrs.. then what the outcome?
Please enlighted me?Feed back please
Have been putting off the thought of applying AW over collinite 476 for quite sometime. ( spray sealant over a wax surface:confused: )

P1et
07-12-2007, 12:07 AM
I find that AW is more than just a QD, that stuff is great! Beads like crazy and lasts longer than a wash as well!

Tropicality
07-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Well I just finished up with my car an hour ago, didn't end up polishing it because I've only had it for 2 months off the dealership, it had minor swirls though. The car is white with lots of flakes (now that I found out how to take care of a car so well thanks to AG, my next vehicle is black!)... the sun was going down, and my halogen light was not cooperating at all, it was a brand new one out of the box, and the screw to install the light was in so tight that the screw stripped.. like ###? Now I have to grind apart the casing to get to the light to install it.. then probably won't be able to put the casing back on.. or I can drill out the screw and then use something else to hold it together... whatever, and I couldn't even see the swirls with my 5 led flashlight...

So I ended up using DG 105 and am hoping it would hide some of the swirls... didn't seem like it was too well... I'll polish it up with some Menzerna next time in a few months.

In the morning I'll probably be putting on AW and then ... well maybe I'll put some liquid souveran on top.

I'll do a write up in the show n' shine tomorrow when I can take some pictures.

Truls
07-12-2007, 03:31 AM
Use the Pinnacle LS after the next wash, and THEN re-boost that with the AW once a month. Works well imo. not AW first THEN Pinnacle LS after.

Pinnacle crystal Mist is my "prefered" after wash QDer, then AW once a month..

Bernard
07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
This is why I use cleanerwaxes if I want to use a sealant again.... Usually ColorX or Klasse AIO.

Actually I feel it is very troublesome at times, when I top NB, M16 or Collinite. After that I need to use a paint cleaner or a cleanerwax to use back my favorite sealants.... :(

cruzin61
07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I applied two coats of KSG (after proper cure time)to my van. Can I top-off with CO-476 and then touch-up with LS or AW?